Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > .Mac synccing failing? How to reset?

.Mac synccing failing? How to reset?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2008, 06:38 PM

Hi All,

I've got three devices that were synccing just fine via .Mac, and now they're not. Any suggestions on how to make them aware of each other again? (iPhone, two Macs).

Many thanks in advance,

Chas

ps. I wasn't sure which forum in which to post regarding .Mac queries, apologies if this belongs elsewhere.

ibook_steve
Dec 15, 2008, 12:17 AM

I'm assuming you mean Mobile Me since .Mac doesn't exist anymore for syncing. What OS are you using and are you all up to date through Software Update? Set up MobileMe syncing in the Mobile Me system preferences. What happened between when you could sync and now when you can't?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 12:56 AM

I was having the same problem, only 1 machine would not sync and had lots of issues until I looked in Apple's Support page.

Someone suggested the following:

Reset the SyncServices folder with these steps in Mac OS X 10.5:
In the Finder, choose Utilities from the Go menu.
Open Terminal.
In the Terminal window that opens, type or paste the following command on a single line:
/System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/A/Resources/resetsync.pl full
Press Return.
When the operation is complete, quit Terminal.
Additional Information
The SyncServices folder (~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices) is a key component of syncing in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. This includes syncing with devices and with MobileMe.

Mobile Me started syncing properly after that!

Good Luck

ibook_steve
Dec 15, 2008, 11:19 AM

The OP should check the easy fixes, like Mobile Me settings and making sure software is updated, before having to delve into the terminal.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules