Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Install Disks won't 'read

Install Disks won't 'read
DutchTo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2009, 04:44 PM

Hello

First off all, excuse my poor language (I'm from the Netherlands)
I'm realy puzzled about the following problem:

Last week the HardDisk of my ImacG5 isight (late2006) gave up (Famous tick of death)
After putting in a new 'WesternDIgital' hard disk at the local Apple dealer, when i tried to reinstall the system (from the grey OSx disk that comes with the Computer), it won't read it, and pops the disk out.

I've tried to install it via Target mode from a imac mini (The mini sees /and mounts the disk) but no luck either. Nothing happens....

The weird thing is, that the G5 does read other DVD's Cd's.

I returned to the dealer and they have let me install Tiger from a Retail version (The only one they still have)

So in a way i'm up and running again.
However, i'm still not able to install the bundled software that came with the Imac
And what worries me is that when i have to reinstall in the future i still have the same problem.
For the moment buying a retail Leopard disk is not an option due to incompatible software that I use

Main quesion is: Is this problem common?
Is my assumption, that replacing a Hard Disk in the Imac, makes the Install Disks useless correct?

Thanks in advance for anyanswer

My Imac info
Computernaam: iMac G5
Computermodel: PowerMac12,1
Processortype: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Aantal processors: 1
Processorsnelheid: 2.1 GHz
L2-cache (per processor): 512 KB
Geheugen: 2.5 GB
Bussnelheid: 700 MHz
Opstart-ROM-versie: 5.2.6f1

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 22, 2009, 07:49 PM

are you sure you are using the grey install disks that came with that computer? what you describe is what happens if you used the install disks for another type of mac (e.g. a laptop). the disks are protected against being used to install the os on alternate devices.

DutchTo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2009, 03:41 AM

Yes, I'm absolutly sure i used the right disk.
That's why i think that changing the hard disk has something to do with it, since the Imac is no longer in it's original state.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2009, 03:46 AM

The spitting out of disks leads me to believe your disks are damaged/scratched; assuming you are *certain* that other disks work fine. You can try wiping any fingerprints/smudges off the install disks.

DutchTo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2009, 05:15 AM

The problem is that the (grey OSX) disk(s) do mount on other systems, i have tested them on two different macs.
The fact that I'm certain that other disk do work, is due to the fact that i have been able to install all other software after the 'retail version' of Tiger was installed.

Thorzdad
Mar 23, 2009, 08:20 AM

It could be that your SuperDrive is failing, too. Spitting-out random discs was the main symptom when the SuperDrive in my G5 failed.

DutchTo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2009, 08:40 AM

It could be the Superdrive.(Can't rule it out)
But the fact remains that all other dvd's/cd's that i've used to reinstall my other software did work.
Plus the fact that attempts to install via target mode (Tried with two different macs; (a G5 at the local reseller and a mac mini at home)) didn't work, keeps me puzzled.

Forum Links
Forum Rules