Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Weird noise coming from HDD area

Weird noise coming from HDD area
KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2004, 10:36 PM

For the first time since I have had my PowerBook, I have it on a hard surface. I just started noticing a click coming from where I believe the HDD to be. It isn't a click you normally hear when a HDD is dying though. I seem to hear this click like every 30 seconds or so. It sounds like the head is skipping and can't seat properly for rest. Does anyone know of a program that will let me check the SMART status of the HDD? Or, are there any programs that will let me see any open file handles or programs currently accessing the HDD to see if maybe some rogue daemon is accessing the HDD? Thanks in advance.

I should also mention that i tried rebooting and the noise still occurs. Also, the noise occurs whether plugged into AC or running on battery.

*UPDATE* - I copied and pasted my last post for the newcomers to this thread.
Well, I bite my tongue. After Airborne loses my package for 15 hours I get my PB back. Well, the HDD is fixed, screen has a new whitespot (new LCD panel too, so it must be something with the support because the white spot is in the same place), now my SuperDrive is making a grinding noise. It makes it while inserting and removing a disk, and it only half ejects disks now. It used to eject them to the point where the hole was out, not I have to grip the disk to remove it. Also, it came back with Jaguar installed, not Panther. Also, when I received the package, one of the seals was broken, where it said "Do not break seal unless using parts." That bothered me the most, because it meant my package had somehow been tampered with. Does anyone think I am in the wrong to request a new PB? I really can't live another few days without it (I need it for school and work), and I don't understand how 1) Airborne loses it for 15 hours in the Long Island Station, and 2) How the SD got damaged by a HDD repair. So am I in the wrong to request a new one? I fall under Apple's educational support to, so they may be able to understand what not being with your school machine is like for extended periods of time.
( Last edited by KraziKid; Jan 23, 2004 at 04:23 AM. )
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

KraziKid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 12:53 AM

Also, I may decide to use the AppleCare just so I have this fixed. What is the usual turnaround for something like this? Also, should I just call them up, or bring it to an Apple store?

chrikenn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 05:25 PM

I don't know what the "normal" turnaround time is, but when I sent in my computer to get the HD fixed, it took them precisely 21 days to get it back to me. Mixed into that 21 days was a bunch of lies and incompetency which makes me wonder if I will ever buy another Apple. Don't send it in unless the noise is hindering performance, or if it just really really annoys you.

IntelliVince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 06:27 PM

When I had to get my powerbook serviced, I took it to a local authorized apple repair center and the repair went very well. I was very happy with the results. I, like many people, hate having to send off their computers. I get pretty paranoid because I'm sending away a $2000 machine to some place in Texas. If you have a repair shop that you can go to, I would highly suggest you take it there because you can actually speak with service personnel and depending on the problem, not have to be w/o your powerbook for that long.

You can ask your local apple store if they have have authorized repair shops in your area. That's what I did. Best of luck.

(You can also ask the service people if it'll be covered under warranty because sometimes they have a pretty good idea, rather than have apple ship it and wait for a notice on whether it will be covered under warranty, which could be a big waste of time)

Just my $0.02
Most of the time you gotta do it
yourself!

Powerbook G4 667

KraziKid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by IntelliVince:
When I had to get my powerbook serviced, I took it to a local authorized apple repair center and the repair went very well. I was very happy with the results. I, like many people, hate having to send off their computers. I get pretty paranoid because I'm sending away a $2000 machine to some place in Texas. If you have a repair shop that you can go to, I would highly suggest you take it there because you can actually speak with service personnel and depending on the problem, not have to be w/o your powerbook for that long.

You can ask your local apple store if they have have authorized repair shops in your area. That's what I did. Best of luck.

(You can also ask the service people if it'll be covered under warranty because sometimes they have a pretty good idea, rather than have apple ship it and wait for a notice on whether it will be covered under warranty, which could be a big waste of time)

Just my $0.02
How long did it take the repair center to fix yours?

IntelliVince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2004, 03:16 AM

Fortunately, I called ahead and asked them if I could watch the repair (so sue me for being curious and over protective ), and so it took a few hours. But if you don't want to wait, you can always drop it off. What I had replaced was the top case, which involves taking everything out (HD, optical device, boards and all) and putting it all back together.

Time basically depends on the repair center. It seemed like they were pretty efficient so average repair time might be a day? But you also have to factor in the time it takes for the repair shop to recieve the parts from apple. But overall, it seems like a better option since you have more control over what happens. Hope it helps, let me know if you have any more questions. Peace
Most of the time you gotta do it
yourself!

Powerbook G4 667

KraziKid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2004, 10:14 PM

Well, I should let you all know that I dropped my PowerBook off at my local Apple store today. Does anyone know if the stores send out the PowerBook's the same day youy bring them in? I brought it in right after the store opened in the morning. I am being optimistic and hoping I have it before the weekend. What do you all think? Oh, I made a list of all the little things wrong with it, because I felt if it is going in for repairs, I might as well get a hopefully perfect one back.

KraziKid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 08:52 PM

Wow, I just called Apple today, and they said that the PowerBook is already on its way back. They said they replaced the LCD, the LCD bezel, and the HDD. I am wondering why they replaced the bezel. They also didn't fix my fan. because I thought it was noisy (although I don't have another PB to compare the level to). Great service. Now, if my PB comes back damaged, I will be singing another tune.

KraziKid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2004, 11:44 PM

Well, I bite my tongue. After Airborne loses my package for 15 hours I get my PB back. Well, the HDD is fixed, screen has a new whitespot (new LCD panel too, so it must be something with the support because the white spot is in the same place), now my SuperDrive is making a grinding noise. It makes it while inserting and removing a disk, and it only half ejects disks now. It used to eject them to the point where the hole was out, not I have to grip the disk to remove it. Also, it came back with Jaguar installed, not Panther. Also, when I received the package, one of the seals was broken, where it said "Do not break seal unless using parts." That bothered me the most, because it meant my package had somehow been tampered with. Does anyone think I am in the wrong to request a new PB? I really can't live another few days without it (I need it for school and work), and I don't understand how 1) Airborne loses it for 15 hours in the Long Island Station, and 2) How the SD got damaged by a HDD repair. So am I in the wrong to request a new one? I fall under Apple's educational support to, so they may be able to understand what not being with your school machine is like for extended periods of time.

Also, I just noticed that part of the Aluminum under body is bulging outwards too.
( Last edited by KraziKid; Jan 23, 2004 at 12:22 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules