Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mystery user

mystery user
imacdan1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 10:14 PM

I seem to be having two problems. I don't know if they are related. On my internal hard drive I am running Tiger and on the longin screen there is a new user listed "urlagent" I have no idea how it got there. I normally have 3 users myself, my wife, and my 9 year old son. If I go to the system preferences screen this user is not listed and if I open the hard drive folder under users there is nothing listed except ourselves. I attempted to add the name "urlagent" to accounts and an error message told me that name was being used. Any ideas? Problem #2 On my external hard drive I have panther installed on 30GB partition and it is suddenly filled up. The last time I checked I had about 6GB of free space. If I try to start up from the external hard drive, It starts up very slowly and won't let me open any applications. If I try to restart nothing happens and I have to power down and select my internal drive when I start up. Any ideas?
Thanks, Dan

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2005, 04:07 AM

1. I have not heard of the user urlagent, but you may not know that there are a number of users on your system that are normally invisible. Select Get Info on one of your files, click the disclosure triangle for Owners and Privileges and then again Details and look at the various users and groups that can be selected. In Tiger Apple made certain changes that could reveal some of those invisible users, depending on the way they were originally created. If you really feel the need to get it off your user list, there are ways to do so.

2. The OS creates virtual memory swap space on the startup drive, which, in that case, is your external drive. That's probably what is filling up your drive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2005, 05:57 AM

Uhm, have you looked in the netinfo utility if there is a urlagent user?
weird wabbit

imacdan1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2005, 06:31 PM

The culprit appears to be a semi virus malware trojan named "opener" For details see http://www.macintouch.com/opener.html or under Apple discussions search for "security concerns: ssh, ftp, urlagent, disappearing logs"

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by imacdan1
The culprit appears to be a semi virus malware trojan named "opener"
and... this got onto your Mac how?
(details please, if you know them).

-HI-

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by imacdan1
The culprit appears to be a semi virus malware trojan named "opener" For details see http://www.macintouch.com/opener.html or under Apple discussions search for "security concerns: ssh, ftp, urlagent, disappearing logs"
Do you know how this might have gotten onto your machine? It's likely you were tricked into installing it, but if you could give us some information on things you recently installed and where you got them, we may be able to help more.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 02:01 PM

A machine that my family members use was also infected with this; it's unclear exactly how, but the security was not very tight at all on it, so it's very possible it was just a manual installation by some jerk. Whatever the method, it's clear that there is something or someone actively spreading opener.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 02:52 PM

I read that it maximizes Limewire uploads, so I'm curious if there is a correlation between being infected and getting Mac software from Limewire. Of course, if this is how it's being distributed, it's not like anyone is going to admit to it.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

imacdan1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 10:06 PM

I don't know how it got on my computer for sure. After discovering the evidence I did an erase and reinstall.
I must plead guilty to more than a couple of computer offences. I have downloaded music and videos off file sharing. And I also have been guilty of using the same password for most sites and not changing it on a regular basis. I do recall on more than one occasion I downloaded a video file that wasn't what it was advertised. When i opened it it displayed an ipod picture and the words "win a free ipod" It seemed strange but I never gave it a second thought until now. I deleted it but if that was it, it was already too late.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Detrius
I read that it maximizes Limewire uploads, so I'm curious if there is a correlation between being infected and getting Mac software from Limewire. Of course, if this is how it's being distributed, it's not like anyone is going to admit to it.
Even the people who will admit to using file sharing programs aren't gonna admit to using Limewire... that program has a pretty amazing level of suck (yes, I've tried it, no, it wasn't on the computer that was infected).

Forum Links
Forum Rules