Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro Replacement HDD Questions

Mac Pro Replacement HDD Questions
wildeep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2006, 12:27 PM

Hi

Hopefully my new Mac Pro will be delivered next week, i went for the standard 2.6GHZ with a couple of extras, built in BT and wireless keyboard and mighty mouse. I downgraded the HD to the 160GB which saved £60 as i figured i could get another for that price. I want to get the new HD for when the machine arrives so i can install it as the primary drive and use the 160GB as a secondary.

Can someone help me choose a good replacement as i'm not all that sure on what spec i need. I would like approx. 250-300GB for around £60-£70

i had a look on www.ebuyer.com and there seemed to be a few that were suitable. Do i need a SATA 2 drive and are they all the same. What about a good manufacturer?. My current dual 867 MDD has a pair of maxtor drives in which have been excellent.

Thanks.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 12:49 PM

Well, i've just bought a Western Digital WD2500KS Caviar SE 250GB 7200RPM SATA2/300 16MB Cache from ebuyer for my G5 and it works a treat.

As far as i can tell it should work in the Mac Pro. A quick look at apple's site doesn't say if their HDs are SATA2 or not.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 12:56 PM

The Mac Pro supports 3Gb/s SATA (note "SATA II" doesn't mean anything), but any SATA drive will work. I like Seagate, since they're the only company to back their drives with a 5 year warranty.

Here's 250GB for 57 quid incl VAT.

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 02:30 PM

do you have to buy the hard drive cartridge in order to just slide it in? Because I noticed they all slide in along that row, and they seem to have little cartridges or junior sized enclosures areound them.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2006, 02:44 PM

Apple wouldn't ship a computer without hard drive rails/cartridges.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 04:41 PM

so even if you were to get only one internal drive from apple, it should include the rails/cartridges to add more later?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2006, 06:20 PM

Yes. Look at the PowerMax Mac Pro rip-apart.

hickey
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2006, 07:38 PM

awesome, thanks mduell. Its always cool to see people get the newest machines and immediately rip them apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules