Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Now what?

Now what?
Bob Y.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2003, 11:34 AM

I TRIED to update my iMac 266MHZ 288MB 40GB from 8.6 to 9.2.
I booted from the 9.2 cd and ran the standard install (not clean). I didn't get any errors. When I restarted the computer, I got the power on chime and the screen came on but only has a message about the firmware version and what looks like a command line prompt "0>".
I reinstalled it, (clean), with the same result.
Any ideas? Did I jump to far? I have the 9.2.1 update cd but I didn't want to try that unless I knew it would fix it.
I have the iMac 1.2 firmware update installed.

Finally, Can I fall back to 8.5/8.6 just by doing a clean install from the cd?

It's NEVER easy!

Bob Y.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Bob Y.:
I TRIED to update my iMac 266MHZ 288MB 40GB from 8.6 to 9.2.
I booted from the 9.2 cd and ran the standard install (not clean). I didn't get any errors. When I restarted the computer, I got the power on chime and the screen came on but only has a message about the firmware version and what looks like a command line prompt "0 >".
Well I tried Norton and a few other things and nothing seemed to work. In fact, IT'S WORSE! The disk is shot. It's not recognizable and has to be initialized.
Anyone have experience with restoring with Norton Utilites after an initialization? Volume Recover, UnErase, etc...?
What are the chances of me getting my old stuff back to some semblance of what it was?

I'm such an idiot sometimes I amaze myself...
It's NEVER easy!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 03:40 PM

You might wanna try a utility such as Disk Warrior instead. A lot of people here have had great success with the program, and many others have reported problems using Norton utilities. For me, I've had Disk Warrior successfully fix things that Norton couldn't.

Brad

p.s. I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone reply to their own post!

Fredo
Senior User
Mar 5, 2003, 04:52 PM

Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules