Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > OS X, OLPC based, ePaperback Reader?

OS X, OLPC based, ePaperback Reader?
aaa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2007, 10:19 PM

The OLPC seems to be in trouble. Sales aren't what they expected (partly due to competition) and the price seems too high ($200 instead of $100).

Since Steve Jobs originally offered free OS X for the project, I figure there's already interest in it's success.

Increasing production of their motherboard/LCD combination (without the childish case) would make a lot of sense.

So Apple could create a really cool paperback/pdf viewer around 8"x6" and very thin to display book files and maybe link in e-book and google books.

A web browser and iTunes could be included.

The OLPC has a resolution of 1200x900 monochrome in front-lit mode (read sunlight) - great for the beach and 200 dpi (grayscale) resolution means an easy to read screen. It also has a more power consuming backlit mode for videos (youtube) or Apple TV or whatever.

The best part is that the OLPC was designed to use VERY little power and so your "iBook" could be read for a whole day (or more) on a single charge.

A touch screen might allow a page flip by simply running your finger along the virtual page. A built-in camera could be used as a videophone. WI-FI for connection (maybe add bluetooth). A picture display mode would allow it to sit on your desk as a picture frame. etc...

What do you think?

P.S. if someone made an OLPC emulator (easy install) available for a contribution to the OLPC project and/or bundled it in with a donation to the project, it would add some incentive to contribute both monetarily and by participation in new content/software.

Thanks,
F.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 09:15 AM

perhaps they'd sell more OLPC's if they'd let people outside the US buy one? Ridiculous.
we don't have time to stop for gas

aaa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 09:47 AM

True, I'm sure they will. It's probably due to shipping consolidation? They may do europe next?

I understand the give one get one was their "plan B" strategy, originally they wanted to sell directly to the developping countries.

I thought about doing the give one get one thing, but if I had $400 to spend this Christmas, I'd probably buy a wii for the kids. The XO (olpc laptop) doesn't have a gpu for 3D graphics, these chips consume too much power. That's why a more sedate, low power application, like a paperback reader makes a lot of sense to increase production and bring down the motherboard and display costs.

I've installed the emulator on my windoze box which was relatively painless, but not "one click" easy. Can't remember why I didn't install it my OS X laptop. Anyway, point is that most machines Americans own can run the emulator, so the point of owning an XO eludes me. Might as well just buy one for the developing world, get the tax break and run the emulator for that "connected" feeling?

F.

aaa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 12:20 PM

Check this out:

OLPC News: Redux Model 1: OLPC XO as Mini Tablet PC

I like most of their ideas except the cellular modem, and the GPS. Why not just bluetooth connect to your phone that already has all that connectivity and GPS ability? Save some space, weight and $. You only need connectivity when downloading a book, tune or video anyway?

F.
( Last edited by aaa; Nov 26, 2007 at 12:30 PM. )

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by aaa View Post
The OLPC seems to be in trouble. Sales aren't what they expected (partly due to competition) and the price seems too high ($200 instead of $100).
They just literally started taking orders and manufacturing the computer. I would make the leap that that they're in trouble (at least not yet) They're now ramping up production and from what I've read gotten some orders to the market segment they're aiming to reach, i.e., countries that are not technologically advanced.

While its true that intel and MS are looking to derail this, and there are now laptops selling close to the selling price of OLPC. I would characterize the statement that they're in trouble as premature.

So Apple could create a really cool paperback/pdf viewer around 8"x6" and very thin to display book files and maybe link in e-book and google books..
This goes to the idea of how useful an ebook truly is. So far technology has been unable to surpass the convenience of the printed book. To that end, I find it unlikely that apple would try to introduce a solution in search of a problem. Just my $.02

Edit:
A similar discussion on Amazon's Kindle was occurring in the lounge. My point there which can be transposed to this is why spend 400 dollars (for the Kindle) and then buy the ebooks for 10 dollars when I can buy the book outright for 10 to 14 bucks. The printed book is more durable, easier to read easier to handle and can be taken to places where it would be unwise to take an ebook, i.e., the beach.

aaa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 05:03 PM

Having some trouble posting!!!

Only a few characters could be posted! Seems better today...

Apple Tablet PC is real, says Asus
Apple Tablet PC is real, says Asus - Crave at CNET.co.uk
( Last edited by aaa; Nov 27, 2007 at 09:36 AM. )

aaa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 05:17 PM

( Last edited by aaa; Nov 27, 2007 at 09:39 AM. )

aaa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 05:20 PM

aaa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 05:22 PM

aaa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 05:23 PM

( Last edited by aaa; Nov 27, 2007 at 09:38 AM. )

aaa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2007, 05:36 PM

( Last edited by aaa; Nov 27, 2007 at 09:38 AM. )

aaa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2007, 09:32 AM

Your points are well taken.

The OLPC sales are in the thousands, not millions of units as they expected. If they can't sell a critical mass, there will be less incentive to add content. On the software side, their choice of non-commercial languages (python and smalltalk/squeak) limits student participation as learning projects. Java would have been a better choice, but wasn't open source at the time the decisions were made. I agree, "in trouble" may be a little premature.

The Kindle is monochrome, limiting usefulness (as a video player for example). This Tablet machine could include an audio book. I've been tempted to buy audio books, but I'd miss being able to reference certain parts of the book. Having both the audio and a searchable copy would be excellent. Dictionaries are heavy to lug to the beach.

The Kindle is expensive ($400) for a paperback reader + $10 for a $5 book doesn't look like a deal. Other features (like a video/audio player) need to be included.

The Kindle is closed. Being able to access google books or PDF files from your work (without printing them) or worrying about theft/loss if the files can be encrypted.

I think this form factor has a place in the market. Apple has a knack of finding that sweet spot for devices.

Big square phones with big displays look stupid when put up to your ear and they're too small to do web access and reading. Bluetooth headsets help, but you still have to carry the big phone around.

Phone for communicating - mostly audio.
Laptop for producing content - input devices/keyboards.
Tablet for consuming content - video/audio/web access.

I agree, a paperback reader isn't worth the effort. It needs more content consumption options.

F.

Forum Links
Forum Rules