Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > HELP! I seem to have the worlds only Beige G4 266!

HELP! I seem to have the worlds only Beige G4 266!
Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2002, 06:16 PM

Ok.. Dont laugh..
But A friend of mine got me a G4 550MHz Zif for my old Beige G3 266 tower. (Rev1). I asked her to get me a Powerlogix one.. I dont think thats what I got tho..
It came with no manual, or CD rom. Nothing! Just a Zif in a pink plastic bag.
It did at least have a reasuring sticker on the card, saying 550MHz G4.
Fitted it. Booted up just fine.. BUT! According to the Apple system profiler. I still have a 266MHz Mac. Albeit one with a G4 CPU. The Powerlogxix G3/4 cache profiler app also reported the same thing.
As I understand it, this Macs 66MHz bus speed, should mean i'll have a G4 533MHz cpu..
So, Erm.. Any idea what happened!?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

chadcole26
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2002, 10:40 PM

You should have received a set of jumpers to replace the ones on the motherboard. I've replaced my ZIF in my beige G3 several times and had to change the jumpers each time. I always received new jumpers and instructions with the new ZIF processor. My guess it that until you change the jumpers, you'll be stuck at 266. I would look at PowerLogix website for more info. If they don't have it Other World Computing might.

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2002, 11:32 PM

Fanx Chadcole..
As it happens.. I was using the Powerlogix setup guide and software, thinking it was a Powerlogix Zif I got.. Then I noticed my card didnt look the exactly same as the one on their website. So then it dawned on me that it couldnt be a Powerlogix card!?
By sheer chance, a friend pointed me in the direction of "Other World Computing", and their "Mercury" Zif's.. This looked like exactly what I got!
So.. I read their set up guide, and then of course found that I needed to change the jumpers on the mobo..
Unfortunately, I didnt get any new jumpers with my Zif. But I did mannage to fiddle with the existing Apple jumper block, to get the same effect.
And now, at last, I have a G4 533MHz Beige tower!
It's now a decent Mac again
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

chadcole26
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2002, 12:01 AM

I'm glad you got it working. I've also got an OWC Mercury and it's been performing exceptionally well with OS X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules