Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My water-cooled G5 leaked badly!

My water-cooled G5 leaked badly!
thejam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 02:28 PM

I know we'd all been warned that it's crazy to have water cooling in a production system, but I bought one anyway. Well, I got burned: my Power Mac G5 dual 2.5GHz (not dual core) died from a leak in the water cooling system of one of the CPUs. It leaked into the power supply, shorting it. Of course, all of this occurred literally a week after the 1-year warrantee, and I thought I was majorly screwed since I didn't recall buying applecare. I lucked out since it turns out that applecare was included with my purchase; otherwise it would have been $700 for the dead CPU and anther $400-500 for the power supply and labor. Yikes!

bernt
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2006, 02:38 PM

Usually when you're only a week out of warranty, AppleCare tends to give you an extended warranty, at least if you have bought something expensive like you have and if you are a good customer.

This is my experience at least.
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

thejam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bernt
Usually when you're only a week out of warranty, AppleCare tends to give you an extended warranty, at least if you have bought something expensive like you have and if you are a good customer.
That's pretty reassuring. I wonder how many other companies are so sympathetic.

Dzokayi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 04:12 PM

Hmmm... this is officially the first time I've heard of a liquid-cooled Mac leaking. Glad they're handling it under warranty!

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bernt

This is my experience at least.

Ha ha, no way. I bought Applecare from Apple literally the same day 1 year from the day or purchase. They sold it to me no prob but the second I called in and told them I had a problem they said I bought the Applecare 1 day late and didn't want to honour it and instead refund me the applecare cost 6 months after the face.

After quite a battle I got them to make my Applecare active even though I bought it less then 24 hours after the last day.

Jerks.

"Barwaraaawww"

Madrag
Senior User
Feb 13, 2006, 04:39 PM

wow! that's a nightmare!

good for you that you still had applecare. congrats and good luck!

thejam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 05:06 PM

Well, to reassure those who may think these water-cooled G5's are flakey, apparently this had never happened at the Apple repair shop that I lugged the G5 to. In fact, all the repair guys gathered 'round the G5 as they drained out the fluid!

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Feb 13, 2006, 10:50 PM

did you take pics? please tell me you took pics. I wanna see

joe
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by MORT A POTTY
Ditto! I'd especially like to know where the leak occurred. Was it the pump that failed? Hose, fitting, etc? I recently bought a 2nd hand Dual 2.5Ghz Tower which didn't include Applecare. The liquid cooling had me concerned so I bought Applecare last month just in case. Seems like cheap insurance for a water cooled Mac IMHO.

FWIW, the 1 year warranty on my dual 2.5 Tower isn't up until the end of this month. Even so, Apple made me jump through hoops trying to get the Applecare activated! What a PITA! And it's still not over with either since they have to send me a corrected certificate.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2006, 02:24 AM

I didn't get my Applecare until the last-but-one day before my 1 year was up, but they gladly sold it to me reassuring me that it wasn't too late and a week later I had the certificate come through in the mail.

No leaks yet

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 08:43 AM

this happened to my friend a few weeks ago as well. completely fried his machine. So bad
that Apple had him send it back, and they sent him a dual core 2.0 to replace it.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 09:30 AM

Yikes. Glad I have 3 years of Applecare on this thing.

02gtstang: They replaced a DP 2.5 with a DC 2.0? I'd complain if I were him - that's uncool -
a 2.3 would be a more apt replacement and the price difference between the two machines
would be noticeable.

thejam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by MORT A POTTY
Actually I never saw the leak myself. In fact, the only "symptom" I saw was that I couldn't power on the machine, not get any response from it whatsoever (e.g., power supply or ethernet LED). The repair guys at first ordered a new power supply, then when they were taking things apart found a kind of sponge inside that was a bit soaked. When they called apple they were told this was an indicator of leaking from the CPU cooling, so then they determined one of the CPUs had leaked. Sorry I don't know where exactly though. And no pics

It took a week for the whole repair to finish.

thejam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Yikes. Glad I have 3 years of Applecare on this thing.

02gtstang: They replaced a DP 2.5 with a DC 2.0? I'd complain if I were him - that's uncool -
a 2.3 would be a more apt replacement and the price difference between the two machines
would be noticeable.
I second this: a 2.3 would be a much fairer replacement.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 03:24 PM

Question on what leaked out: I've heard it isn't actually water but a sterile chemical
solution that apparently cools better than water could. Ideas?

Did it mar anything or stain anything? My computer is on our hardwood floor and
I'd like it to stay nice obviously. Hm. Maybe a drip catcher ala a George Foreman
grill.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Feb 14, 2006 at 03:41 PM. )

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 04:36 PM

my buddy took his to compusa and had the same symptoms, no power. they
took it apart and the motherboard, processors, ram and casing were corroded.
they told apple that it would cost as much to replace the parts as it would to send a
new machine. this machine was 6 mos. out of warranty. so, my friend is lucky to
have gotten any thing.

thejam  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
Question on what leaked out: I've heard it isn't actually water but a sterile chemical
solution that apparently cools better than water could. Ideas?
I think the repair guy said it wasn't water, but perhaps glycol, but I can't say because I never saw any fluid.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 01:46 PM

makes me glad that I have the fastest air-cooled G5 model (prior to the DC machines, that is)
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

lkrupp
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2006, 11:10 PM

http://images.apple.com/environment/...sds-082004.pdf

This Apple document explains what is used in the cooling system. It basically just standard anti-freeze. The cooling system was developed by Delphi. Yes, the same Delphi who designs cooling systems for General Motors. The cooling system is perfectly safe and, as someone has said, this is the first time I have ever heard of a leaking G5.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2006, 10:26 AM

this is my second time hearing of a leaky cooling system. One of our G5's at work leaked a few weeks back and brought a graphics suite offline. But this seems like a very rare occurance. Most of our G5's at work are liquid cooled, and all are running just fine.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Leonis
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 08:04 PM

I have been told by people quite a few times those liquid cooling systems usually only have 2 years of life span.
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Leonis
I have been told by people quite a few times those liquid cooling systems usually only have 2 years of life span.
Glad I have 3 years of AppleCare on mine, then.
Though I'd expect it to last much longer since this is (was) a mass production system, not a one-off custom rig.

MacinTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by thejam
I know we'd all been warned that it's crazy to have water cooling in a production system, but I bought one anyway. Well, I got burned: my Power Mac G5 dual 2.5GHz (not dual core) died from a leak in the water cooling system of one of the CPUs. It leaked into the power supply, shorting it.
My cpu coolant leaked after about 6 months, and now a year later, my machine has leaked again.

I will continue to buy apple care because the first time the bill was 3700 AUD (it blew the power supply and fried the logic board.

Not sure what the damage will be this time....

I am very disappointed that I have had two leaks when everyone says they don't leak.

Dual 2.5 G5

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 12, 2006, 10:58 AM

While mine hasn't leaked after 1.5 years (knock-on-wood), I'm sure there are a few that have sprung a leak.

Since I bought Applecare, I'm covered for 3 years. If the Intel PowerMacs come out late this summer, I'll probably buy a new PowerMac next year when they are updated again.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

svtcontour
Forum Regular
May 12, 2006, 04:55 PM

I'd much rather have a louder air cooled machine than one that can freaking leak. Good thing they are going intel and dont have to deal with this anymore - hopefully.

tillin
May 16, 2006, 02:19 PM

i have the dual 2.7ghz which is also water cooled, mine didnt leak, but both processors and the powersupply went bad.

i took it to apple and they initially told me it was my 3rd party ram that caused the problem ( yeah right! ) and after a further diagnosis they realized it was their bad lol. they replaced it all on their dime, which is good because that would have cost me almost $1200

Forum Links
Forum Rules