Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 MDD won't start up: how to diagnose?

G4 MDD won't start up: how to diagnose?
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2007, 04:32 PM

My old PowerMac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors; 2x1.25 GHz) seems to have died. When I press the power button (either on the machine or on the attached monitor) it lights briefly and then goes out. After I switched from one monitor to another, at one point the light would go on and stay on, and couldn't be put out except by unplugging the machine. Notably, the wind tunnel (fan) stays off, so it's really not going anywhere.

My first guess is a power supply failure: there was an Apple power supply replacement program for these machines not long after they came out, but I got my request in just a little too late and they wouldn't replace mine. It's run fine for several years, but perhaps that's what's died now.

Does that seem plausible? If so, is there any source for replacement power supplies? And if not, what else should I be looking at?

This is still a perfectly serviceable machine, and it has some specialized hardware (an audio input board for DAT recorders), so I don't want to give up on it.

Thanks in advance,

-- Steve Anderson

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2007, 04:36 PM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2007, 05:12 PM

Right you are -- that did it. I vaguely remember having had to do this with another machine years ago, but I'd completely forgotten.

Thanks very much!

--
Steve Anderson

Forum Links
Forum Rules