Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How to easily activate WiFi HotSpot function

How to easily activate WiFi HotSpot function
bdougal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2013, 02:02 PM

My wife and I decided to upgrade her to a new iPad Air. Since she already has an iPhone 5 with hotspot activated on her plan, we decided to just get the wifi iPad.

The problem we have is that the iPad will not automatically log into her iPhone's hotspot. It is turned on in the phone, and the iPad knows the password. But she has to wake up her phone for a few, then try several internet activities before the iPad will latch on to the phone's hotspot.

Is there a way to make this process work without her digging the phone out of her purse?

andi*pandi
Nov 3, 2013, 03:30 PM

that sounds annoying. Which provider for the iphone?

bdougal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2013, 03:35 PM

Verizon, though I doubt that makes the difference...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2013, 05:25 PM

Using the phone as a wi-fi hotspot consumes a lot of battery power, so the function is designed to switch itself off after (IIRC) ten minutes of inactivity.

There is no way to change that, but you very likely wouldn't want to, either. My iPhone 4S got something like four or five hours of battery life when in Personal Hotspot mode before dying.

mindwaves
Nov 4, 2013, 07:47 AM

Yeah, I would only enable hotspot when I need it and then disable it immediately.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Using the phone as a wi-fi hotspot consumes a lot of battery power, so the function is designed to switch itself off after (IIRC) ten minutes of inactivity.

There is no way to change that,
Settings - General - Auto-Lock - Never - - changes that,

if you keep in mind that the iPhone needs to be charged periodically, or leave it plugged in to charge (i.e. in a car).
( Last edited by DCJ001; Nov 8, 2013 at 09:10 PM. )

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2013, 05:00 AM

I used to have similar problems. I solved them by using Bluetooth instead.
First - Pair the devices
Then - Each time you wish to use personal hotspot, go to settings on the iPad, tap your phone in the list and wait a few moments.
You should soon be able to see the two circles indicating a connection and browse using the iPhone's personal hotspot.
When done, just open the control centre on either device , turn off Bluetooth then turn it back on (for keyboards and headsets etc. to keep working)

I also find this very effective to connect my MacBook to personal hotspot too.

Note. The iPhone does not need to be awake before you connect.
Bluetooth and personal hotspot should be active at all times.
Your iPhone will use its battery at an accelerated rate while it shares data with other devices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules