Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to reinstall, lost disc

How to reinstall, lost disc
pigmode
Mar 2, 2015, 04:31 PM

I was given a 2010 MacBook Pro, that came without a system install disc.

How do I go about doing a clean install with the least expense? Tia

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2015, 04:58 PM

For older OSes, you would need a disk to do a clean install.
For newer OSes, the clean install requires a download handled through a special boot partition on the HD.

So what OS is on there now? If it has never been updated, you've probably got 10.6, which was new in 2010. While OS upgrades are free these days, there is a minimum requirement, and 10.6 ain't it. I'm pretty sure you have to have at least 10.7 (although it may have been 10.8) for the later upgrades to show up in the App Store.

The legal way of getting the upgrade is to pay for it. You'll never find a new box at the store, tho. You'll probably have to get it from eBay, which will be questionably legal in itself. Do you have an Apple Store nearby? Try the genius bar. They just might hook you up with the newest version for free, or they will at least give you a solid answer on the necessary update path.

pigmode  (op)
Mar 3, 2015, 06:44 PM

Thanks, it has 10.10.2.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2015, 06:44 PM

While OS upgrades are free these days, there is a minimum requirement, and 10.6 ain't it.
OS X 10.6.8 has the Mac App store, and is the minimum OS X to upgrade to the current version of OS X.

P
Mar 5, 2015, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
OS X 10.6.8 has the Mac App store, and is the minimum OS X to upgrade to the current version of OS X.
Yes, but the first upgrades aren't free from 10.6. I believe the first OS from which all upgrades are free is 10.8, and upgrades from previous versions are $20.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
Thanks, it has 10.10.2.
Oh, well then you may be in luck.

Restart
Hold option while the machine boots
Choose the recovery partition
[booting will take a while]
Choose the reinstall OS X option

...that's how it's supposed to work anyway, but who knows where that computer has been. Report back and let us know if you hit any speed bumps.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2015, 06:59 AM

It's completely free to go from 10.6.8 to 10.10.2. The only reason you need 10.6.8 is for the App Store. Lion was £25 but if you didn't buy it the newer OS's are still free.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2015, 07:02 AM

Note. While free you do have to have previously downloaded a version as the Internet install does check your Apple ID to see which OS you "bought". If your copy of Yosemite was downloaded using another apple is you'll need that ID to re download it.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules