Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Transparent Dock Borders: how?

Transparent Dock Borders: how?
Prijker
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2002, 09:15 AM

Hi all

I installed the usual tip to apply Dock transparency by replacing the "left" "right" and "middle" PDF images inside Dock's Resources folder with... well.. transparent ones.

But the Dock border is still there! How can i make him disappear too?

I ask because i have seen on this borad screenshots of desktop users without Dock borders!

Thanks

Prijker

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2002, 09:22 AM

TransparentDock - I haven't looked into the details on how this AppleScript works, but it does the job you are seeking.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 09:22 AM

Just go download a little app called TransparentDock.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Prijker  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2002, 01:57 PM

Thanks
it works perfectly, i have a fully transparent Dock now

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 02:17 PM

Does anyone know how this script actually works?

Im curious to see.

m2

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2002, 03:00 PM

It implements a series of Terminal commands. As you run it, Terminal windows actually appear. You can examine the commands that show in these windows to see exactly how the Dock tweaks are done.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 05:37 PM

Is there a way to make JUST the border dissapear without making the BG go away? I have a light grey BG to my dock but I want the border gone so i have JUST a light grey BG.

Possible?

Mac Guru

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 05:50 PM

Is there a way to make JUST the border dissapear without making the BG go away? I have a light grey BG to my dock but I want the border gone so i have JUST a light grey BG.

Possible?

Mac Guru

davidb224
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
<STRONG>Is there a way to make JUST the border dissapear without making the BG go away? I have a light grey BG to my dock but I want the border gone so i have JUST a light grey BG.</STRONG>
With TransparentDock you could change the color of the border from black to white. Then your grey background will blend pretty well with the white border.

My dock's border is white and my dock's background is transparent and it looks really good.
davidb

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
<STRONG>It implements a series of Terminal commands. As you run it, Terminal windows actually appear. You can examine the commands that show in these windows to see exactly how the Dock tweaks are done.</STRONG>
Yes, but its hard to catch what its doing in the terminal, and what I could see didn't really seems to relate.

Maybe I could log all terminal activity somehow?

M2

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2002, 12:44 AM

I think TransparentDock just runs the command and closes the window right? It doesn't execute "exit" or "logout" first, does it? I don't think it does. If not, you can keep your terminal windows from closing by starting up a background process. For example, type:

<font face = "courier">% sleep 1000 &</font>

This will start a sleep in the background for 1000 seconds, which is more than enough time to run the commands. Don't worry, sleep takes 0% processor power, it'll just sit there till time runs out. Now, when the AppleScript tries to close the window, you will get a sheet asking if that's really what you want to do (saying the sleep process is still active). YOu can choose cancel and then you'll see the command that was issued in that window. Hitting OK won't kill the sleep process, however, since it's in the background.

This is the easiest way I came up with to keep the window from closing. Since I don't need to run TransparentDock again, I can't test this, but it does work with a test AppleScript I wrote so it should work just fine with this one too.

sjk
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2002, 04:47 AM

TransparentDock was stubbornly insistent about not getting past the password prompting when I tried it a few months ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules