Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Voltron the Movie

Voltron the Movie
cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 02:55 PM

I used to love this cartoon. (At least the ones with the lions...)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050726/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 03:21 PM

jeez what's next Thundercats?

I preferred the other Voltron actually.

viperstrike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 03:34 PM

My brother and I always had battles with both our Voltrons when we were kids (would be kinda strange doing it now...becaues he doesn't live near me...yeah, that's the reason). He liked the cars (lame) and I was all about the 5 lions. Kinda looking forward to what they will do to bring this and Transformers to the big screen, but by no means am I excited. This also proves that the entertainment industry, (particularly big screen, small screen and music) has run out of ideas. My youngest brother, now 10 asked me what cartoons did I use to watch. "Oh, we had Transformers, Ninja Turtles, GI Joe". His response: "Uh, what are you talking about, we have those."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
I preferred the other Voltron actually.
Ew.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 03:45 PM

It had more action and less cheesy soap opera. Seriously.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2005, 04:25 PM

I loved Voltron back when I was a chibi.

That said, I remember in college, when they started rerunning all my old childhood favorite cartoons on Toonami. I got the privilege of watching all my precious childhood illusions of how awesome these cartoons were, all shattered one by one. DAMN YOU CARTOON NETWORK!

I'll probably still watch the movie, though.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 04:28 PM

Is that the ones with the lead based paint? I think I had those Transformers were my favorite, though.

cjrivera  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I loved Voltron back when I was a chibi.

That said, I remember in college, when they started rerunning all my old childhood favorite cartoons on Toonami. I got the privilege of watching all my precious childhood illusions of how awesome these cartoons were, all shattered one by one. DAMN YOU CARTOON NETWORK!

I'll probably still watch the movie, though.
The DVD releases do the same thing. I bought season 1 of the Transformers and was just shocked at just how bad it was.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
The DVD releases do the same thing. I bought season 1 of the Transformers and was just shocked at just how bad it was.
It's nowhere near as bad as Voltron. Voltron was criminally bad. Seriously. Transformers is like Citizen Kane next to that show. Anyway, I still think Transformers: The Movie was excellent! Almost 20 years later, it's still engaging and the animation has held up fantastically.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

cjrivera  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Anyway, I still think Transformers: The Movie was excellent! Almost 20 years later, it's still engaging and the animation has held up fantastically.

I love Transformers the Movie. The soundtrack was also awesome.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2005, 08:40 PM

I have dibs on forming the head.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 02:11 AM

Did you watch all the episodes? I think I maybe watched 4 or 5 before I realized some things should just be left to memory.
Originally Posted by lavar68
It's nowhere near as bad as Voltron. Voltron was criminally bad. Seriously. Transformers is like Citizen Kane next to that show. Anyway, I still think Transformers: The Movie was excellent! Almost 20 years later, it's still engaging and the animation has held up fantastically.
Transformers: the Movie is sweet. That was the climax of 80's cartoons, imo. When Spike said "Oh shˆt", every kid knew it was the greatest movie ever. Voltron wasn't that bad, they just used too many static frames instead of animating stuff. You know you loved it when they joined into voltron saying all that cheesy stuff. "and I'll form the head" The way they did everything was like cheesy kung fu where they start naming off every move as they do it.

You have to give Hasbro credit though, they succeeded not only in pushing these toys on us, but also of completely changing the show with new and bigger toys. Space Voltron had like 15 parts to it. Transformers just kept creating new groups of toys..er, characters. GI Joe always added a few new people here and there (not to mention new vehicles every other episode), but then they did the Serpentor, Sgt. Slaughter, ...added like 20-25 characters. The creators are probably laughing all the way to the bank with the upcoming movies.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 02:38 AM

I had some friends over in high school to watch the old transformers episodes from when I was a kid... I had the first two episodes on VHS... and man were they awesome! And by awesome I mean BAD! It was fun to watch but we just kept making fun of it... I felt bad...

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 07:21 AM

I love Transformers the Movie. The soundtrack was also awesome.
Ah the good ol days, I wanta get the 4 complete volumes on DVD sooner or later...
- Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules