Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > The Hammer Returns: Na-nana-na, Can't Touch This

The Hammer Returns: Na-nana-na, Can't Touch This (Page 4)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The moderator response has been inconsistent because when one of us says something, usually about a specific point someone made, others appear to expand the meaning of the response beyond what it was intended to address. It leads to incomplete or carefully worded posts that look "cagey" but are not intentionally so.

As a matter of policy, we have always avoided discussing one person's infractions with other people. It's a management rule: "praise in public, criticize in private." There is a management movement lately to point out that sometimes this is counterproductive. Maybe this is one of those times.

As a manager, I have never been comfortable in public with more than calling someone over to discuss improvement opportunities. Perhaps that's just me being queasy. But I certainly have never liked having my own boss tell the whole office how I screwed up, so that's my background.
I want to reiterate the part where all the things I noted can have legit explanations.

Though you were classy enough not to mention it, let's not ignore the elephant in the room. Users can and do jump your shit for reasons which may not make sense from your perspective. I imagine that's happening right here, right now. Being cagey in the face of this is a natural response.

In a similar vein, perhaps my observation is incorrect, but I think the pitchforks and torches may have been a little unexpected, and there wasn't a ready press release tailored to an angry mob.

I hope I've at least partially demonstrated here I'm capable of seeing the valid points on both sides, so I pray the following isn't taken as criticism, but only as another data point to consider.

I started the thread in the hopes of getting that press conference. I got something very different.

What I'm asking for is understanding that as someone operating with zero knowledge of what happened in private, and receiving a mixed set of public signals, I do not have an environment conducive to accurate analysis.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2017, 11:48 PM

Is our tendency to analyze and dissect the living **** out of everything a unique MacNN thing, or does this happen in most online communities?

So many words.

OreoCookie
Sep 17, 2017, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The moderator response in this thread has been cagey, inconsistent, and appears post hoc.
You seem to interpret our carefully worded statements as us being cagey. Even when we try our best to choose our words deliberately, they are still wildly misinterpreted. If we made more off-the-cuff posts, it'd be worse, because any inattentive inaccuracy invariably would be overinterpreted and twisted against us. Which is fine, I mean that's a fact of life, and if you have work experience in a managerial role, then I'm sure you'll have encountered similar situations. That just goes with the territory. But that's why our statements appear cagey to you.

The second point is that we do not intend to divulge any of our internal deliberations — so yeah, you can call that cagey, but in any other walks of life, it is the same. Juries do not deliberate in public either, nor do parents in front of children. The “inconsistencies” you see are normal amongst a heterogeneous group, because even if we all have reached the same conclusion, we may have had different reasonings. It is nevertheless foolish to blow this up into capriciousness and prickliness on our part. (That's why there is usually only one PR spokesperson )

Anyone who thinks the staff has some grand plans to re-model the forums in his or her own image or pursues a vendetta against particular members vastly overestimates how much time and effort we put into that part of the job. Some people here vastly overestimate the mind share they have in our brains. The work load has decreased over the years, spammers mostly leave us alone (as opposed to having to browse the forums several times a day just for that), while at the same time most of us turned from students into adults with families and mortgages (i. e. less time to dedicate to the forums). Please don't read this as us not caring as much as we used to, it's just that our activity scales with overall forum activity.

* I say fortunately here just to focus the positive side of the decline of active members.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 17, 2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
... spammers mostly leave us alone (as opposed to having to browse the forums several times a day just for that) ...
I'm not sure the attack rate has decreased much. We have very good filters at the moment. I even built a recent filter for a pattern they've fallen into, which is blocking perhaps 50% who get past the rest.

OreoCookie
Sep 17, 2017, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I'm not sure the attack rate has decreased much. We have very good filters at the moment. I even built a recent filter for a pattern they've fallen into, which is blocking perhaps 50% who get past the rest.
I stand corrected. Glad to see all the under-the-hood improvements our admins do really do improve our lives!
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Sep 17, 2017 at 01:51 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2017, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
You actually seem to believe that you are the victim of power-hungry mods arbitrarily using a system of punishment to **** you over
Then you've misread what I posted, I'm blaming people who abuse the present system. I don't blame you for coming into this blind, at all, this is a crazy complicated thing.

I take issue with a mod claiming they discussed things with me, many times, past and present, when that simply is NOT accurate. Otherwise, I'm not blaming moderation, I'm blaming a blunt, abusable instrument and people who have turned to using that instrument to abuse others they disagree with.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Sep 17, 2017 at 02:03 PM. )
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2017, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Is our tendency to analyze and dissect the living **** out of everything a unique MacNN thing, or does this happen in most online communities?

So many words.
Yep. Most places, moderation is moderation, there can be some explanation in private messages or in a specific Feedback forum, but it ALWAYS boils down to "them's the rules; we are the ones chosen to enforce them. Deal with it." People who engage in lengthy discussion or fights with moderators about moderation are just banned, end of story.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2017, 01:36 PM

You seem to interpret our carefully worded statements as us being cagey. Even when we try our best to choose our words deliberately, they are still wildly misinterpreted. If we made more off-the-cuff posts, it'd be worse, because any inattentive inaccuracy invariably would be overinterpreted and twisted against us. Which is fine, I mean that's a fact of life, and if you have work experience in a managerial role, then I'm sure you'll have encountered similar situations. That just goes with the territory. But that's why our statements appear cagey to you.

The second point is that we do not intend to divulge any of our internal deliberations — so yeah, you can call that cagey, but in any other walks of life, it is the same. Juries do not deliberate in public either, nor do parents in front of children. The “inconsistencies” you see are normal amongst a heterogeneous group, because even if we all have reached the same conclusion, we may have had different reasonings. It is nevertheless foolish to blow this up into capriciousness and prickliness on our part. (That's why there is usually only one PR spokesperson )

Anyone who thinks the staff has some grand plans to re-model the forums in his or her own image or pursues a vendetta against particular members vastly overestimates how much time and effort we put into that part of the job. Some people here vastly overestimate the mind share they have in our brains. The work load has decreased over the years, spammers mostly leave us alone (as opposed to having to browse the forums several times a day just for that), while at the same time most of us turned from students into adults with families and mortgages (i. e. less time to dedicate to the forums). Please don't read this as us not caring as much as we used to, it's just that our activity scales with overall forum activity.

* I say fortunately here just to focus the positive side of the decline of active members.
Just to make clear up front. It's inappropriate to publicly discuss internal deliberations, I'm not asking for it, and if that is the impression I have given, I apologize.

If a user gets dinged, the obvious question it raises for some is "what lesser attempts were made to deal with the problem".

To use extreme examples, a mod tells a user to knock it off, and two days later they're at it again. No one will object to the ding.

A mod tells a user to knock it off, and a year later they get dinged, this is a different story.

There's been resistance to providing this context. Withholding information relevant to analysis for no apparent reason gives the impression of caginess.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2017, 05:32 PM

Yep. Most places, moderation is moderation, there can be some explanation in private messages or in a specific Feedback forum, but it ALWAYS boils down to "them's the rules; we are the ones chosen to enforce them. Deal with it." People who engage in lengthy discussion or fights with moderators about moderation are just banned, end of story.
That's a great way to get 1/3rd of the current forum regulars to leave, right off the bat.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2017, 04:14 AM

I actually doubt that.

But the way this discussion is going might not be much better.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 18, 2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Maybe because what was being represented wasn't right? Also, since I've never been banned before, ever, you have no basis for that prediction, only your own dislike of me (largely due to nothing more than political minutiae).
If that was the case, you'd see Dakar going after everyone else with similar political leanings. He doesn't so something else might be at play.

You have none of either and you actually think you're "beloved by all"? Hilarious.
Good job.

If anyone's interested, the thread's here and it is delightful.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 18, 2017, 02:30 PM

Here's a fun thought experiment - Railroader was perma-banned because the moderators determined that his presence was detrimental to the community. He poked, prodded, attacked, insulted, then played victim when called out. After some temp bans, he was perma-banned because the moderators decided there was no hope for rehabilitation.

In a world where (to Snow-i's point) we have like 8 active members, would the moderation take a similar line when users aren't so expendable?

For reference

Our decision to permaban Railroader is not based on any isolated incident. It is not based on him `questioning authority'. We felt that his conduct (and not just recent conduct) in the forums towards both, other members and staff was disruptive and hostile.

A permaban of a long-term member is something exceedingly rare and the decision is based on long-term issues rather than anything that has happened in the last few weeks. We only issue permabans if we feel that other measures have been exhausted and have been found to be ineffective.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2017, 02:33 PM

I imagine the threshold is higher.

That or the page views will need to be gabgbusters

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2017, 09:14 PM

I want to reiterate the part where all the things I noted can have legit explanations.

Though you were classy enough not to mention it, let's not ignore the elephant in the room. Users can and do jump your shit for reasons which may not make sense from your perspective. I imagine that's happening right here, right now. Being cagey in the face of this is a natural response.

In a similar vein, perhaps my observation is incorrect, but I think the pitchforks and torches may have been a little unexpected, and there wasn't a ready press release tailored to an angry mob.

I hope I've at least partially demonstrated here I'm capable of seeing the valid points on both sides, so I pray the following isn't taken as criticism, but only as another data point to consider.

I started the thread in the hopes of getting that press conference. I got something very different.

What I'm asking for is understanding that as someone operating with zero knowledge of what happened in private, and receiving a mixed set of public signals, I do not have an environment conducive to accurate analysis.
I will readily admit to both having my fireproof suit in the cleaners and being taken by surprise by the general responses in this thread. We didn't have a press release for a number of reasons, one of which being the policy I noted earlier. But I don't think any of the staff members thought we'd need one.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2017, 11:52 PM

Why don't we just put in place some censors for Tightpants like you guys did for me and call it a day?

I vote for:

- Antifa
- university professor
- liberals
- OAW
- a (this one will kick in whenever he is disagreeing with me)
- teacup
- my penis (I don't want him to ever talk about his penis)

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2017, 11:53 PM

So I guess I'm just going to get tagged for most posts from here on out? System working as normal?

Oh no, the president hit a golf ball and Hillary fell down, how awful. WTF? How does anyone attain this level of perspective, O2 deprivation?
This joke is "warning worthy"? Seriously? I'm just going to keep posting, being my normal self, like I have been for 12+ years, and when you do eventually ban me, we'll see how it shakes out. This isn't right.

OreoCookie
Sep 19, 2017, 12:04 AM

I'm just going to keep posting, being my normal self, like I have been for 12+ years, and when you do eventually ban me, we'll see how it shakes out.
If you are not willing to modify your behavior and tone it down, you know where this is headed.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2017, 12:23 AM

If you are not willing to modify your behavior and tone it down, you know where this is headed.
If you aren't willing to relax and stop bullying members for having a sense of humor, you shouldn't be a mod. There was nothing malicious about it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2017, 09:42 AM

If you aren't willing to relax and stop bullying members for having a sense of humor, you shouldn't be a mod. There was nothing malicious about it.
You suggested that someone holding a view alternate to your own must be literally mentally retarded. Do you understand why not everyone believes that to be contributing to positive discussion, let alone a hilarious joke?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You suggested that someone holding a view alternate to your own must be literally mentally retarded. Do you understand why not everyone believes that to be contributing to positive discussion, let alone a hilarious joke?
You have a waaayyy better recollection of MacNN history than I do, so please tell me this, do you remember a time when Tightpants/Shaddim admitted to being wrong about something/anything?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2017, 11:36 AM

Why don't we just put in place some censors for Tightpants like you guys did for me and call it a day?

I vote for:

- Antifa
- university professor
- liberals
- OAW
- a (this one will kick in whenever he is disagreeing with me)
- teacup
- my penis (I don't want him to ever talk about his penis)
Can we add snowflake?
Oh, and feminist?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Can we add snowflake?
Oh, and feminist?

Oh yeah, how could I forget these obnoxious obsessions...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2017, 01:42 PM

You have a waaayyy better recollection of MacNN history than I do, so please tell me this, do you remember a time when Tightpants/Shaddim admitted to being wrong about something/anything?
I still celebrate the fact that I got TNproud2b to admit that he was wrong, once. I'm pretty sure that was the only time during his entire tenure here.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2017, 02:28 PM

This might be as close as we'll ever get. Of course, "that was incorrect" is immediately redacted with a denial of facts, the same facts that just helped him come to the "that was incorrect" conclusion.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2017, 03:15 PM

You suggested that someone holding a view alternate to your own must be literally mentally retarded.
WTF? No, I suggested they were posting at high altitude.

(This is yet another example of people being set to report and take offense when it's not warranted.)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2017, 03:25 PM

WTF? No, I suggested they were posting at high altitude.
Yes, so their brain function was impaired? There's a term for that.

(This is yet another example of people being set to report and take offense when it's not warranted.)
This is yet another example of you unable to see that being insulting and condescending toward views other than your own does nothing to promote productive discussion here.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2017, 03:26 PM

(*Thanks to Laminar for being neutral.)
I'm always neutral.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2017, 03:41 PM

I propose the new thread title should be "Gangbang a User".

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2017, 03:45 PM

This might be as close as we'll ever get.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...58#post4386958

and here I thought you'd be able to effectively use MacNN's search function by now.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2017, 03:59 PM

Yes, so their brain function was impaired? There's a term for that.
Oxygen deprivation? Seriously, your slant on this may be one of the most uncharitable perspectives on a subject that I've ever seen. In fact, I'd almost say you're going out of your way...

This is yet another example of you unable to see that being insulting and condescending toward views other than your own does nothing to promote productive discussion here.
I can't handle the sheer volume of irony radiating from the rest of the post, given that your entire existence here is centered around "being insulting and condescending toward views other than your own [while doing] nothing to promote productive discussion". At least 90% of all the posts you've ever made have been sarcasm for the purpose of "insulting and being condescending". I marvel at the sheer unmitigated gall you have in attempting to call-out someone else for that. Amazing...

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2017, 04:03 PM

Must be a day ending in the letter Y.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2017, 04:39 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...58#post4386958

and here I thought you'd be able to effectively use MacNN's search function by now.
Reading through a couple of pages of search results of your posts that contain the word "wrong" was harrowing enough, I didn't need to go deeper.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2017, 04:40 PM

I can't handle the sheer volume of irony radiating from the rest of the post, given that your entire existence here is centered around "being insulting and condescending toward views other than your own [while doing] nothing to promote productive discussion". At least 90% of all the posts you've ever made have been sarcasm for the purpose of "insulting and being condescending". I marvel at the sheer unmitigated gall you have in attempting to call-out someone else for that. Amazing...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2017, 05:55 PM

Oxygen deprivation? Seriously, your slant on this may be one of the most uncharitable perspectives on a subject that I've ever seen. In fact, I'd almost say you're going out of your way...

I bet if we were to remove all of the variations of this argument over the years we'd have half the PWL content we have now.

Specifically, variations on "your argument is totally invalid if I can turn the tables on you and accuse you of the same thing". E.g. <insert unflattering thing about Trump here>, <insert unflattering thing about Obama/Hillary here, because an unflattering thing can't be an unflattering thing by itself without being compared to somebody else>

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2017, 06:42 PM

In the old days the mods would have locked this thread to prevent this from happening. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2017, 06:45 PM

Reading through a couple of pages of search results of your posts that contain the word "wrong" was harrowing enough, I didn't need to go deeper.
So you didn't think to just search "I apologize" using my name? That's pitiful. (Of course, despite your claim of being "neutral" you had no intention of presenting the facts.)

Yes, thanks, the irony from that post is radiating just like that. Maybe you can use the light to assist with future searches, you need all the help you can get.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2017, 07:06 PM

I bet if we were to remove all of the variations of this argument over the years we'd have half the PWL content we have now.

Specifically, variations on "your argument is totally invalid if I can turn the tables on you and accuse you of the same thing". E.g. <insert unflattering thing about Trump here>, <insert unflattering thing about Obama/Hillary here, because an unflattering thing can't be an unflattering thing by itself without being compared to somebody else>

Oh yeah, and when this table turning happens it is always ironic.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2017, 03:10 AM

Since I don’t think anybody has the slightest idea of what the **** anybody is trying to achieve in this thread anymore, I suggest
1. Shaddim is retroactively un-banned so that he gets to enjoy an extra week of MacNN forums,
2. this thread is locked, and
3. anybody who acts like an asshole receives infractions that can add up to a temp ban - just like before.

Yes?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2017, 04:11 AM

How about people just stop reporting any little thing that might offend them and stop abusing the system to punish those they dislike?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2017, 04:19 AM

Reported.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2017, 04:46 AM

Wouldn't surprise me.

P
Sep 20, 2017, 06:42 AM

How about people just stop reporting any little thing that might offend them and stop abusing the system to punish those they dislike?
FYI: The person who has made the most reports in the last three months is you.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2017, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2017, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
and I suppose you think that actually means something? Who has had the most reports filed against them?

If 5 people file 6 reports against 1 person and that 1 person files 8 total reports against 5 different people, who do you think the system is favoring? I'll let you think about that, take as much time as you need.

While you're at it, maybe you should think about your intentions in misusing such information that only the staff has access to, and think about whether it's right to try and use it in an attempt to degrade a forum member. Maybe you should consider how ethical that was.

You're right, his statement IS absurd, isn't it?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2017, 08:00 AM

Wouldn't surprise me.
For the record I was kidding. I don't think I've ever reported anything but spam but if i have, it hasn't been for years and wasn't more than once.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2017, 08:37 AM

and I suppose you think that actually means something? Who has had the most reports filed against them?

If 5 people file 6 reports against 1 person and that 1 person files 8 total reports against 5 different people, who do you think the system is favoring? I'll let you think about that, take as much time as you need.

While you're at it, maybe you should think about your intentions in misusing such information that only the staff has access to, and think about whether it's right to try and use it in an attempt to degrade a forum member. Maybe you should consider how ethical that was.

You're right, his statement IS absurd, isn't it?
Don't be an asshole, or deal with the consequences.
Life's tough, them's the rules.

You're not entitled, snowflake.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Don't be an asshole, or deal with the consequences.
Life's tough, them's the rules.
^^That could prove useful.

You're not entitled, snowflake.
If that happens to get reported for name-calling, don't get upset. "Them's the rules." "Don't be an asshole, or deal with the consequences."

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2017, 10:47 AM

I’m not worried, and I’m not gonna show up in a thread to whine about how I’ve been victimised if I do get an infraction.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2017, 11:07 AM

^^ Good for you, I wouldn't either. If you'd actually tried reading the thread, however, you'd realize an infraction here or there isn't the issue.

You're still not abiding by your own advice.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2017, 11:18 AM

This thread is now all about paying tribute to hammerhead sharks..

And... go!

(hopefully this is not a complete waste of time like pursuing the other topic)

Forum Links
Forum Rules