Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Does Mac OS X Support DVD-R DL?

Does Mac OS X Support DVD-R DL?
mactropolis
Senior User
Sep 14, 2005, 07:43 AM

Hello,
I would like to know if Mac OS X supports DVD-R DL (Dual Layer/Double Layer; aka DVD-R9) technology? I have been a longtime LiteON DVD Burner user on OS X, and I recently bought my 2nd LiteON DVDRW Drive. This latest version DVDRW Drive (SOHW-1693S) is identical to the previous revision except that it now supports 4x DVD-R DL (not to be confused with DVD+R DL). However, I was surprised that OS X recognized all the functionality of the burner except its DVD-R DL ability. Granted DVD-R DL is new, but does Apple need to add support in the OS for this new technology to be functional in burners? Are their any other programs known to support DVD-R DL on the Mac?

Best Regards,
Death To Extremists!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 09:56 AM

From Apple's G5 PowerMac site:

Double-Layer Drive
The 16x SuperDrive built into every dual-processor Power Mac G5 now supports double-layer (DVD+R DL) discs. While single-layer DVD discs hold up to 4.7GB of data, double-layer discs have two layers, allowing the SuperDrive laser to read from and write to both layers, almost doubling the storage capacity to 8.5GB. Use iDVD — included on every Power Mac G5 — to author discs with up to four hours of video content. Or use DVD Studio Pro 4, Apple’s professional DVD authoring application, for your commercial-grade titles and high-definition DVD projects.

So, DVD+R DL support is there, looking for DVD-R DL support I have found that Toast supports it since the version 6.1 so I guess the new Toast 7 can do the same or better.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2005, 09:59 AM

BTW, what differences DVD-R DL from DVD+R DL ?, I have a dual layer Philips burner but I have never used it in dual layer mode.

Thanks.

OreoCookie
Sep 14, 2005, 10:07 AM

Both are technically slightly different disks. The DVD+ forum was founded to avoid licensing costs and increase the speed of development. All drives sold nowadays support both. So it depends solely on what disks you buy
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2005, 01:05 PM

Is DL burning in the Finder supported?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Sep 15, 2005, 03:09 AM

So DVD-R DL is supported by Toast 6.1+ but not by Tiger itself (Finder/Disk Utility)?

I assume that Apple needs to add DVD-R DL support to the OS because of the fact that Apple's top-of-the-line PM G5 Superdrive lacks DVD-R DL support itself. A theory is that when Apple ships a Mac with an updated Superdrive that actually supports DVD-R DL is only when we'll see DVD-R DL support for third-part DVD burners included in the OS. Does this seem likely or will Apple include DVD-R DL support for 3rd-party burners before that technology is included in one of its Superdrives?
Death To Extremists!

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2005, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by mactropolis
So DVD-R DL is supported by Toast 6.1+ but not by Tiger itself (Finder/Disk Utility)?

I assume that Apple needs to add DVD-R DL support to the OS because of the fact that Apple's top-of-the-line PM G5 Superdrive lacks DVD-R DL support itself. A theory is that when Apple ships a Mac with an updated Superdrive that actually supports DVD-R DL is only when we'll see DVD-R DL support for third-part DVD burners included in the OS. Does this seem likely or will Apple include DVD-R DL support for 3rd-party burners before that technology is included in one of its Superdrives?
They already ship Superdrives with double layer support for quite some time now … 

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Sep 15, 2005, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
They already ship Superdrives with double layer support for quite some time now … 

Yes they DO ship Superdrives with double layer support. But it is DVD PLUS R DL (DVD+R DL).

DVD DASH R DL (DVD-R DL) ("Dual Layer", not "Double Layer" btw) is an entirely different bag of tricks that needs to be implemented in the hardware level. Because it supports DVD+R DL in no way means it also supports DVD-R DL also.
Death To Extremists!

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2005, 05:07 AM

So why is it important if +/- DL burning is supported?
I know the difference between DVD+ and -, but for me, there's little practical difference, if any. Both cost about the same where I live, only that my (older) Toshiba DVD burner seems pickier with DVD+R discs. But other than that, what's the difference to you?

As DL burning was supported first by the DVD+ consortium, Apple decided to go with what's available. In fact, AFAIK there are only a few DVD-R DL burners sold right now (e. g. Pioneer's and Nec's latest drives). I don't think it's a technical or even strategical limitation. Apple just offers what they could get in volume some time ago.

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 01:28 AM

I wanted to perform a DVD-R DL burn to conduct a series of test for an comparitive piece I was working on. I have a drive that supports -R DL (the LiteON) and also purchashed some (yes expensive) -R DL media. I wanted to keep my procedure standard across all media by always using Tiger (Finder/Disk Utility) to burn, instead of throwing Toast into the mix. Correct, +R DL and -R DL are technically very similar by design. And Apple supported +R DL first only because the Pioneer and Sony OEM drives included in Mac's supported +R DL first. I expect Pioneer to support -R DL (if it doesn't allready) very soon, as this is its own standard.
Death To Extremists!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 03:40 AM

I have a Pioneer DVR-K05 in my PowerBook and it already supports DVD-R DL. However, even with PatchBurn, only DVD+R DL is supported by Tiger.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
So why is it important if +/- DL burning is supported?
I know the difference between DVD+ and -, but for me, there's little practical difference, if any. Both cost about the same where I live, only that my (older) Toshiba DVD burner seems pickier with DVD+R discs. But other than that, what's the difference to you?
I always use DVD-R disks, because I have two (different) DVD players from Sony that are already a few years old and these players refuse to play DVD+R disks. My grandma's DVD player doesn't play DVD+R, either. I have never seen any DVD player that doesn't play back DVD-R disks.
However, I don't have a DL burner yet and I don't know if it's the same with the dual layer disks. I don't think my DVD players will play back DVD+R DL if they cannot even play single layer DVD+Rs, but I'm not sure if they will play DVD-R DL.

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Sep 18, 2005, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
I have a Pioneer DVR-K05 in my PowerBook and it already supports DVD-R DL. However, even with PatchBurn, only DVD+R DL is supported by Tiger.
Yeah, I just saw from Pioneer that a good bit of their DVD Burners do allready support -R DL. Its only a matter of time now until Apple standardizes on one of these drives and adds -R DL functionality to OS X. Their's mixed reports that Toast supports -R DL, if you want to play with it before its officially supported by Tiger.
Death To Extremists!

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2005, 12:52 AM

my new G5 Dual 2.3 has a Pioneer DVR-109 Superdrive in it
http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/compute...riters/dvr109/

Does that mean I can't burn DVD-R Dual Layer and only DVD+R Dual Layer?

I suppose I should try it with Toast and it will work?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2005, 02:55 AM

+R DL is only supported by Tiger. I'm not sure if -R DL can be done in Toast (haven't tried).

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by mediahound
my new G5 Dual 2.3 has a Pioneer DVR-109 Superdrive in it
http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/compute...riters/dvr109/

Does that mean I can't burn DVD-R Dual Layer and only DVD+R Dual Layer?

I suppose I should try it with Toast and it will work?
You have no worries as according to that webpage, your drive allready supports DVD-R DL.

Any idea on when Apple will add -R DL to OS X though? Will we get it in a 10.4.x Update or not until 10.5?
Death To Extremists!

Forum Links
Forum Rules