Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > $100-$150 Digital Camera (Kodak, HP, Canon)

$100-$150 Digital Camera (Kodak, HP, Canon)
mactropolis
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 03:34 PM

Hi,
I am a complete novice when it comes to digital cameras and in the market to urgently purchase one in the next few days and need some advise. However, I am limited to physical brick-n-mortar stores because of time constraints (only a few days) and cash sales only. My target camera is an entry level model with a pricepoint between US$100 to $150. I am fully aware of much better and more expensive cameras, but for the time being that must suffice. In my initial online shopping tour (Wal*Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA etc), I have noticed most of the cameras at these prices are populated mainly by Kodak & HP brand models with the occasional Vivitar or Polaroid. So what I would like to know, is which is the better camera between the equivalent HP and Kodak models? My preference is for higher quality shots (more MPs/detail) vs. higher optical zoom however. OS X support goes without saying, off-course.

Updated:
After spending countless hours learning about the various ways to judge camera's, I have seen that a Kodak or HP might not the the best for the buck, whereas Canon's are always highly recommended. I even noticed the Apple Store online has nothing but Canon's on their site, with the Canon PowerShot A410 as the base model. This model is available on store.apple.com for $149.95, but even cheaper on amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=502394) at just $138.73 -- perfectly within my range. Is their camera really the best low-end camera in the market now? The reviews on amazon.com are glowing. However my last problem still is finding a brick-n-mortar retailer in South Florida who has this item in stock (cash sales only). Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Death To Extremists!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2005, 06:17 PM

It seems that you've already made the #1 consumer digital camera buying mistake: more megapixels does not equal more detailed or better quality photos. The quality of the lens is more important.

I like the Canon A410. I'd also take a look at the Fujifilm FinePix A345, which Consumer Reports rates well.

I'm not sure where you are in South Florida, but CompUSA and Target both have it in Miami.

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Dec 9, 2005, 12:01 AM

Just as I was getting comfortable with the Canon PowerShot A410, it looks like my preference is set to change again. The reason i am looking for a camera is to replace a Canon PowerShot A400 I used and loved which I had on loan from a friend. I was going to go for a $100 to $150 entry-level HP or Kodak for the time being, until I found the Canon PowerShot A410 for just $149 a OfficeDepot.com. However, the one feature I use often on the PowerShot A400 just happens to not be included in the PowerShot A410: A/V Output -- rendering a seemingly perfect camera featureshort! The next level up in the Canon brand that is available in retail stores seems to be the Canon PowerShot A520, which does have A/V TV output. MSRP on most sites is listed at $199.99, however I was delighted to find that walmart.com has it on special for $174.52 here. Though a little more than $150,I do also get 4 MP vs 3.2 MP and 4x optical zoom vs 3.2x. Even better, the LCD screen is 1.8" vs 1.5" and in video mode, it records audio (believe it or not, the PowerShot A410 was video only, no audio). Size & portability is important to me, so I was particularlly impressed that the A410 was smaller than its predecessor A400, however the A520 will be bigger and heavier than both.

If only Canon didn't chop off features when replacing the A400 with the A410, the A410 would be the perfect camera for the ideal price.

So how would this Fujifilm FinePix A345 compare to the PowerShot A520 (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...odelid=11125)? Does it do A/V output for displaying on TV? I'm seeing this camera for $149 at RadioShack, which is great. But I heard nothing beats a Canon lens, especailly in low-light situations -- which is critical for me. So how would the FinePix A345 compare to the Canon A520?
Death To Extremists!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2005, 05:16 AM

I'd take the A520 any day. Consumer Reports rates it as a best buy (one of two out of ~40 cameras).

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Dec 9, 2005, 09:22 AM

So the Canon A520 is that much better than the Fujifilm A345? I was checking out the Fujifilm FinePix A345 and it does meet all the requirements since it supports A/V output to TV. Plus 4.1 MP and 3.2 optical zoom with a slighlty smaller 1.7" LCD all for $149 -- $25 less than the PowerShot A520.
Is the Canon PowerShot really that better of a camera to go for?

Thanks
Death To Extremists!

Forum Links
Forum Rules