Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bizarre Problem with AppleSpell.service

Bizarre Problem with AppleSpell.service
mactropolis
Senior User
Feb 3, 2006, 03:16 AM

Hi,
I am having a problem wish my OS X install. After extensive tests, I found out the problem is with the background system spellcheck service: AppleSpell.service. What happens is when I try to use apps that take advantage of AppleSpell.service (iChat, TextEdit, Mail.app, other Cocoa apps), this message pops up once in Console:

Code:
2006-02-03 02:45:41.846 TextEdit[334] *** NSRunLoop ignoring exception '*** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil' that raised during posting of delayed perform with target 35d860 and selector '_preflightSpellChecker:'
Then each time I try to type and enter a word (some letters followed by a space), I get the following in Console:
Code:
2006-02-03 02:46:01.667 TextEdit[334] *** -[NSCFArray addObject:]: attempt to insert nil
It seems as you enter a space char, AppleSpell tries to do its thing but fails. My system works fine otherwise, apps only give problems when using a Cocoa text entry field. For example, Mail.app works normal to get and view e-mail, however once I open a Compose New mail window, AppleSpell tries to activate resulting in odd behavior in Mail.app. Similar situation in 2 other AppleSpell-aware apps I use, iChat and TextEdit. In the iChat conversation window, after every word, iChat reports an internal error and must quit. In TextEdit, the Control-click is not working when I click on words (as it would normally pull up the spelling service). I'm not sure how long the problem has been present, since I wouldn't regularlly use AppleSpell.service much.

The strangest thing is, this bizarre problem only affects my own user account. I test the Spell service in a newly created user account and the root account, both of which worked fine and I saw the curvy red underlind below misspelled words. When I return to my account, I get the errors above. I've tried deleting countless prefs and .plist files of anything that appeared remotely related to spelling or dictionary in ~/Lib/Prefs. Also tried replacing my AppleSpell.service bundle located in /System/Library/Services with a new copy from another 10.4.4 Mac and it still wouldn't work in my account. Also ran Repair Disk & Repair Disk Permissions multiple times to no avail. What else can I try to get AppleSpell.service to be functional in my user acount????

Running OS X 10.4.4 8G32 on 500MHz PPC G3 Mac.

Pic of Console showing AppleSpell.service errors from TextEdit:
Death To Extremists!

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2006, 08:44 AM

Delete the dictionaries from ~/Library/Spelling

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Feb 3, 2006, 04:00 PM

That was the first thing I did actually. in ~/LIb/Spelling/ their was just one 4K textfile named "en" with a few words I added to the dictionary over the months, but thas it. Still refuses to work.

Desperate for ideas.....

What other .plists can I try deleting?

What else can I try???
Death To Extremists!

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Feb 3, 2006, 10:11 PM

Update:
STILL pulling out my hair trying to get this issue resolved. I can't seem to let it rest....
Anyway, I tried deleting/renaming even more and more PLIST prefs and it continued not to work. Then I decided to just rename the whole ~/Lib/Preferences directory. Didn't work. I renamed some more stuff in ~/Library. Didn't work. Renamed ~/Library itself. DIDN'T WORK. I've now tried just about every trick in the handbook that i've accumlated over years of being a Mac user to absolutely no avail. The more and more I try, the harder it is to give up and admit I encountered a problem in OS X i coudn't actually fix. Yes, its becomming an ego thing now (if you know what i mean).

So far i've learned that the problem doesn't seem based in my home directory at all as I completely removed ~/Library (which holds all possible user-specific settings & prefsf) and it was regenerated on log-in, but the AppleSpell service probem persist! Why is my system targetting my user account ALONE?!

Any possibles ideas I can try next??
Death To Extremists!

Forum Links
Forum Rules