Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Getting two Displays to Work on a Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition

Getting two Displays to Work on a Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition
MDR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 05:20 PM

Hi Macgeek

There is not a VGA port on the 9800 Mac Special Edition Radeon� 9800 PRO Mac Special Edition Specifications - only a DVI and a ADC port.

Would I not just need a DVI to ADC adpater something like this Gefen ADC to DVI Convertor ADA-ADC-2-DVI from PC World Business

Do you know if the adapter affects the quality?

Thanks for your help.
( Last edited by MDR; Mar 9, 2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: fixed 3rd link)

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2007, 06:00 PM

You need a DVI to VGA adapter. VGA is the other port on the card. Get one of those and it'll work.

Although, you said the monitors have DVI and VGA leads.. so you shouldn't even need an adapter. Just a VGA cable.

MDR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 06:12 PM

By the your help is really appriciated.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 9, 2007, 06:27 PM

According to the linked specs, this card has an ADC connector, and a DVI-I connector. The package includes a DVI -> VGA adapter. I can't seem to find out if an ADC -> DVI adapter is included.

Connecting monitor #1, using the card's DVI port: Connect to the card through the DVI cable directly, or to the DVI connector through the VGA cable via the DVI -> VGA adapter. You'll want to use the direct DVI connection for the best picture quality.

Connecting monitor #2, using the card's ADC port: If the card comes with an ADC -> DVI adapter, then plug that adapter into the card, and plug the Dell's DVI cable into the adapter. If the ADC -> DVI adapter isn't included, then you need to buy one.

ADC to DVI adapter from DrBott $29.95

ADC to DVI adapter from Amazon $32.11

MDR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 06:32 PM

Thanks really helpful.

Do you know if there will be a loss in picture quality with the DVI to ADC adpater?

I am wanting to use two 24" Dell displays. One in landscape and the other in protrait. The Radeon 9800 allows portrait mode.

Do i sound like Im on the right track.

I only use my computer for reading lots of documents so a top quality picure is not essential to me (although preferable, where possible).

reader50
Administrator
Mar 9, 2007, 06:35 PM

There will be no loss of quality with the ADC -> DVI connection. Apple's ADC port is actually a DVI port with some extra pins added to supply power and USB connections. The adapter just strips out the extra pins, returning it to a standard DVI port.

MDR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2007, 10:17 AM

Hey Reader

Thanks so much for this. That's solved the issue.

I ahve just purchased - Gefen ADC to DVI Convertor ADA-ADC-2-DVI from PC World Business

Also thanks once again to macgeek2005...your both stars

Forum Links
Forum Rules