Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Messenger 7 released, What a joke.

Messenger 7 released, What a joke.
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 05:39 PM

Microsoft Messenger for Mac: Connect Instantly Online| Mactopia

Corporate gets audio video.

Personal gets a wonderful search box

Honestly WTF have they been doing all these years?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2008, 06:56 PM

Who needs M$M ?

-t

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 08:07 PM

People whose friends all use msn.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 08:36 PM

It doesn't connect to my corporate 2007 Office Communications Server...w00t.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

Who needs M$M ?

-t
I know you're being funny.. but seriously. Do you know how many idiot friends I've got who can't switch to mac because their corp job won't let them? Oh and by the way they play xbox off work so..... yeah. Stuck with the crap their given.

I have a gaming network of over 100 people right now. 68 are on that crap service. I still use adium though.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
I know you're being funny.. but seriously. Do you know how many idiot friends I've got who can't switch to mac because their corp job won't let them?
I hear they make AIM and ICQ for Windows, now, too.

Unfortunately, MSN has something like 90% market share in most of Europe.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 06:53 AM

The spanish language has this silly issue, out to lunch status is shown twice so if you want your status to be at phone, you have to choose 'out to lunch'…

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2008, 12:54 PM

Yeah.. you know I used to try and get all my friends switched over to just ONE client. God I mean this is ridiculous. In Adium I've got AIM, Yahoo, 2 Googletalk, 2 MSN, 1 ichat/.mac account. This is getting silly.

Problem is that most of my friends all have xbox's so using MSN on Windows ties them into their friends lists which is a HUGE bonus. Thats why they're so reluctant to change over.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

mactropolis
Senior User
Apr 30, 2008, 06:22 PM

Its completely ridiculous that its 2008 and Mac users have been waiting patiently for a Official MSN client that does A/V for years upon years upon year!!!

Some time ago, I remember reading somewhere saying the reason it was not delivered until now was because the video codec for WLM for PC was changing. But now Corporate gets Video, and personal doesn't!! I think its true, this looks like obvious politics here.

And nat is right, Americans prefer AIM cuz its what they first started with and is ubiquitous in that country. Around the world, MSN is.

An for those who say use iChat, ICQ, Skype, etc, many ppl are too stupid to know anything but MSN exists and use MSN alone and dont want to use anything else cause "all my frenz r on MSN". Ugghhh!!! Its true, its a make or break decision for many when they find out their expensive Mac can't cam2cam using MSN.

Aggh....Totally frustrated!!!
( Last edited by mactropolis; Apr 30, 2008 at 06:34 PM. )
Death To Extremists!

philm
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 09:56 AM

If everyone had to scrap their existing IM program and start new tomorrow, I think most would choose Skype. Perfectly good IM capabilies, audio conferencing with multiple participants, cross platform videoconferencing which is almost as good in quality to iChat AV (but which connects every time in my experience unlike iChat), SMS sending, and all sorts of options if you pay a little (call real telephones, voicemail, get a real phone number). In my work circles, Skype is the IM of choice.

I guess its own limitation is that it (probably) doesn't support, winks, blinks, nudges etc which my kids seem to thrive on. Personally, I can live with just a simple 'OK' rather than the 'OK' letters staring off small and white, growing greatly in size to become bright red, and then burning rather dramatically in a magnificent display of animated pyrotechnics.

64stang06
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 10:02 AM

Even Yahoo messenger for Mac has A/V. Plus, it supports Windows Live contacts, so if your MSN buddy has that, you can just add them to your Yahoo list and possibly A/V chat with them that way.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2008, 11:14 AM

Does anyone know if adium or fire are going to be adding a/v chat anytime soon?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 12:37 PM

Fire definitely not. That's no longer in development.

VoiceAndVideo - Adium X - Trac

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2008, 01:36 PM

On one of the other game forums I'm on occasionally, they're constantly complaining about popups, trojans, viruses, etc.

So I very kindly suggest they use FireFox and Trillian. They actually get mad and insist that Internet Explorer and MSN isn't the problem.

*shrug*
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 03:17 PM

A friend pointed me to meebo dot com. I wonder, wouldn't 1024 bits encryption be a harm to global whatever??, I find it kind of insane.

mactropolis
Senior User
May 1, 2008, 06:29 PM

yeah, i've toyed with meebo.com before... good site and good service. its basically a web-based Adium app -- does multi-protocol IM from a single website.
But AFAIK, its just like Adium and has the same limitations we all hate... No Audio/Video, no Off line Messaging (MSN), etc etc

And true, u can now add MSN contacts to Yahoo Messenger for Mac. But AFAIK its limited to text basically. Anyone care to try a video chat from Yahoo on Mac to MSN on PC to verify?
Death To Extremists!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Still doesn't.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 09:43 PM

It won't connect through our school firewall but Adium and Windows Live Messenger will.
Vandelay Industries

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Personally, I can live with just a simple 'OK' rather than the 'OK' letters staring off small and white, growing greatly in size to become bright red, and then burning rather dramatically in a magnificent display of animated pyrotechnics.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
May 2, 2008, 04:29 PM

Who cares...MS is dead.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Ha, had to download and install a root certificate into Keychain Access before it would ever connect to our OCS 2007 set-up. Awesome.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 05:57 AM

I wonder… this thing still doesn't provides support for offline messages, right?
Yahoo! Messenger does, but I can't add a gmail buddy there whereas back in the day I recall getting gmail contacts with the old MS Messenger 6.0.something… weird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules