Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's the deal with new ultra-expensive cell phone plans?

What's the deal with new ultra-expensive cell phone plans?
FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2013, 02:26 AM

I'm currently in the market for a new cell phone/plan and I'm amazed at the new tendency to jack the price to never seen before prices. I currently pay about 60$ for 6 GB and other standard stuff, but now it seems there's nothing under 100$... worse, it seems iPhones are commonly excluded from most "good prices". It used to be that you chose a plan and then add whatever phone you wanted. If the phone was more expensive, you simply paid more upfront (say 150$ instead of 50$ or 0$). Now they refuse outright to give you a certain plan if you want an iPhone.. WTF?? My cousin found some good deal at 55$ for 3GB but if you want an iPhone, there's nothing under 120$... it seems like blatant ripoff! I don't mind paying 200 or 250$ for the phone instead of 0$ for an Android, but it shouldn't influence the plan you chose... Is it a Canadian thing or is that the new trend? It seems that not even one year ago things weren't like that. What happened? It's no wonder iPhone are losing marketshare, providers are not really giving customers a choice.. " Buy an Android with a 3 GB dataplan and we double it! Buy and iPhone and go fsck yourself!" " buy an android phone and pay 50$ and get one month free! buy an iPhone and go fsck yourself!"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2013, 02:57 AM

I just roll with $60 /line with unlimited everything and pay cash for the phones. It's really not any cheaper to get a phone + contract.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2013, 06:25 AM

This cannot be said often enough: buy your phone outright and unlocked. Then call around the carriers, tell them you own your phone and ask what their best deal is. If they don't want to play say thanks, I'll take my business elsewhere and watch them make a better offer. Rogers especially has been bleeding customers and will do almost anything to make you stay.

I pay Rogers $40/month for everything, plus $30 for 6GB data.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2013, 08:35 AM

Straight Talk, $45/month, unlimited talk, text, and data (2GB cap). Prepaid, no contract. Found iPhone 4 on CL about a year and half ago.

Even if I was to buy an iPhone 5s unlocked from Apple, it's still cheaper than signing up for a 2 year contract and getting a discount on the phone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules