Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > messed up Macbook Pro CD/DVD drive

messed up Macbook Pro CD/DVD drive
naterade81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 08:08 AM

I have a problem now. While trying to install and run bootcamp, I chose to "Start the Windows Installation" and then chose "Start Installation". I had a valid Windows XP disc FROM microsoft that I was attempting to install. When the computer restarted it brought up a black screen that said some Error I don't remember what it was - something like "No Start Up Program recognized " or something to that affect. It was like I was in DOS or something. I reset my computer several times and the same thing happened. Eventually I gave up and held down Option when i restarted and booted into OS X. Now when I try to install windows it doesn't even recognize the disc on start-up. It recognizes it when I am already logged into OS X, and it recognizes all CDs and DVDs.

This has become a more important problem now because I just got OS X 10.5 and am trying to install it. The same thing is happening though. It recognizes the disc when I am on the computer in OS X, but i won't recognize the disc at start up, so i can't install it.

I am not even sure that what I did when I tried to install windows the first time caused the problem or not. All I know is that my computer won't recognize any CD/DVD on start-up. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I searched far and wide to see if this has happened to anyone else and I didn't find anything.

Nate J

ibook_steve
Nov 2, 2007, 12:39 PM

Did you try holding "c" while booting with the disk in the drive?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

naterade81  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 03:23 PM

yeah, i held down C. Same thing, it showed me my hard drive to boot from, but no disc.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Nov 4, 2007, 10:05 PM

Grab a Linux install image and burn it to CDRW. If it boots, you know your problem is the Windows disc. If it doesn't, somethings b0rked with Boot Camp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules