Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help....Image extraction from a DVD????

Help....Image extraction from a DVD????
DUDE 007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 01:19 AM

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is possible...I want to extract or export still images from we'll say my favorite DVDs. I eventually want to edit them in photoshop and maybe even print a few to use as framed art. Is there software or shareware available that I can use on my powerbook to get these images off a DVD. I appreciate any suggestions or advice...thanx.

bighead
Senior User
Apr 8, 2004, 01:36 AM

If you use software like VLC or MPlayer to play the DVD, you can just take a screenshot of the video.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

DUDE 007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 01:38 AM

Where can I get it??

DUDE 007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 01:59 AM

Well....I tryed playing a DVD thru the player and opened the GRAB IT application and it wont let me do it. It says I have to close the DVD player before doing so. Any other ideas??

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 8, 2004, 02:43 AM

The Apple's dvd player will not work. Fire up your dvd in VLC and pause at the desired frame. Command-Shift-3 and you are there.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Phydeaux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 05:23 AM

i take screenshots of dvds all the time to make desktops and such. the best way i found is to play the DVD using the mac's dvd player and then pausing it on the frame that i want. then i use ambrosia's snapz pro x 2 to take the high-res screenshot. this works way better than the lo-res screen capture built into the mac.

you can save it out and then bring it in to photoshop. it works great. i have done this on the matrix, office space, willie wonka and a couple others. i always get a lot of complements and confused looks on people's faces at work when oompa loompas come up on my screen!

i have about a hundred screenshots of each movie that play in sequence on my desktop. i do this by loading all the movie shots into a folder, then pointing the desktop at it...set the option to change picture every few minutes...and viola! a little slice of heaven on your mac. try to do that with a pc!

any other questions, lemme know.

here is the link for ambrosia's site:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/
( Last edited by Phydeaux; Apr 8, 2004 at 12:26 PM. )

DUDE 007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 01:06 PM

wooooo hooooo LOL!!!!
Thanks to everyone for the help...I will try that Phydeaux and I will let you know how the snapzprox worked...cheeeers!!

DUDE 007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 04:02 PM

Ok....just checked it out and Im downloading the free demo version....I hope I get it happening. Just curious Phydeaux is yours the demo version or did you purchase it?

DUDE 007  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 04:32 PM

WOW!!! This program rocks. Now what is the best way to save the file to get the highest resolution (ie: jpg..pdf..etc). Once I figure that out I will be rocking and rolling LOL.

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 9, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by DUDE 007:
WOW!!! This program rocks. Now what is the best way to save the file to get the highest resolution (ie: jpg..pdf..etc). Once I figure that out I will be rocking and rolling LOL.
tiff
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 07:48 PM

Just fire up Apple's DVD player, pause of the frame you want, drop to the cli (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal), move the window out of the way of your DVD player viewer, and punch in the following:

screencapture -c

The screen, including your DVD movie, is now on your clipboard ready for pasting into PhotoShop or whatever.

Only the GUI based screen capture prevents you from taking screenshots of DVDs, the command line version works just fine - no extra software necessary.

Forum Links
Forum Rules