Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PowerBook insurance

17" PowerBook insurance
PabloTX
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2003, 05:12 PM

I've never been thrilled that Apple doesn't provide the same 'Complete Care' that Dell provided with my Inspiron (basically any damage that was not intentionally caused is covered). I've had the 17" for just over two weeks; and last week's threads on the cracked LCD sort of got me in a panic. So I called my insurance agent.

She was out on vacation, but came back today. I added the Powerbook (value of $3300) to my homeowner's policy as an exhibit. Basically the same coverage that Dell provides (goes above and beyond the 'normal' coverages of property in the homeowner's policy).

$48/year with a $100 deductible.

Hopefully I'll never need it, but (aside from the deductible) it's cheaper than the Dell plan, and not that much in the grand scheme of things - especially in comparison to the replacement cost of the LCD or any other major component of the Powerbook.

I also purchased the PB on my AMEX card, which doubles Apple's 1-year warranty (in effect a 2-year limited warranty without the phone support) - pretty much making Apple Care not nearly as attractive (or necessary).
( Last edited by PabloTX; Apr 21, 2003 at 05:29 PM. )

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 05:36 PM

after reading alot of info here (and horror stories) I am wondering if the $350 for applecare was worth the money...it sure has not seemed like it lately.

djjava
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by PabloTX:
I added the Powerbook (value of $3300) to my homeowner's policy as an exhibit. Basically the same coverage that Dell provides (goes above and beyond the 'normal' coverages of property in the homeowner's policy).

$48/year with a $100 deductible.

Hopefully I'll never need it, but (aside from the deductible) it's cheaper than the Dell plan, and not that much in the grand scheme of things - especially in comparison to the replacement cost of the LCD or any other major component of the Powerbook.
sounds like a good idea. could thi sbe a suitable replacement for AppleCare, or just a little added protection? would this only cover problems that result from something like, oh, sprinklers going off over your PB, or fire, or something.. or would it include anything? $48/ year sounds like a good deal... a fail-safe for when AppleCare flips you the bird.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

djjava
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
sounds like a good idea. could thi sbe a suitable replacement for AppleCare, or just a little added protection? would this only cover problems that result from something like, oh, sprinklers going off over your PB, or fire, or something.. or would it include anything? $48/ year sounds like a good deal... a fail-safe for when AppleCare flips you the bird.
Since I rent, I'm assuming I can add this to my renter's insurance...?
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

dialo
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
after reading alot of info here (and horror stories) I am wondering if the $350 for applecare was worth the money...it sure has not seemed like it lately.
I think it is. For instance, a lot of 1st gen powerbooks had problems with loose display connectors causing lines across the screens after about a year. This sort of thing would be fixed in a couple of days with applecare, but with insurance would just be a pain. I say get both if you plan to keep the powerbook for longer than a year.

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 02:31 PM

And you can easily get $100 or more off AppleCare if you buy it on eBay. I bought mine there for $220. The money I saved is just a bit under the cost of an insurance policy for 1.5 years.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 22, 2003, 02:32 PM

Even if you don't plan on keeping the machine for all three years, AppleCare is worth it because it increases the resale value of your machine. On e-bay machines that have AppleCare always sell for more. Definitely something to think about.

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 02:36 PM

Even if you don't plan on keeping the machine for all three years, AppleCare is worth it because it increases the resale value of your machine. On e-bay machines that have AppleCare always sell for more. Definitely something to think about.
Oh yeah, if you buy AppleCare on eBay, make sure the seller will include the original purchase receipt. You can't transfer AppleCare to a new owner (that you're selling to on eBay or otherwise) without proof of purchase of the actual AppleCare box.

Forum Links
Forum Rules