Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > UNIX: rsync daily backup upon changes to a location?

UNIX: rsync daily backup upon changes to a location?
rozwado1
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 01:00 PM

I've hacked my OS X to natively write to NTFS by modifying /etc/fstab. I've setup a shared NTFS drive to hold a library of 3D models, materials, etc to be shared between bootcamp and OS X. Current thought is to have an additional NTFS backup drive so I can backup the modifications in windows as well as OS X, instead of having an HFS+ backup and not being able to access it in Vista after a possible drive failure.

Anyways, I'd like to setup a script in OS X to do daily backups if changes had been made in Vista. I think that this command will do the copy,
Code:
rsync -rtvu --modify-window=1 --progress /media/SOURCE/ /media/TARGET/
but what script could I use to do the modification check?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 04:13 PM

rsync -a is great for your incremental backups (the a stands for "archive"), if you want to schedule this as a cronjob you won't want to include the --progress in there if you want to be emailed on failures.

I'm not sure about your question though? Rsync is an incremental backup tool, it will copy files that have been modified.

OreoCookie
Apr 12, 2010, 05:35 PM

I would also suggest you have a look at rdiff-backup, a command line tool based upon rsync that does incremental backups. I've used it when my parents' backup server still ran FreeBSD.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 05:50 PM

Interesting... what advantages does rdiff-backup have over rsync? The two look very similar...

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm not sure about your question though? Rsync is an incremental backup tool, it will copy files that have been modified.
I was looking for a script of sorts to automate it. I'll setup Automator to run the shell script, but I'll look into OreoCookie's option first.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by rozwado1 View Post
I was looking for a script of sorts to automate it. I'll setup Automator to run the shell script, but I'll look into OreoCookie's option first.
Why not cron or anacron? Automator seems like a silly way to automate it, it adds a whole other unnecessary layer.

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why not cron or anacron? Automator seems like a silly way to automate it, it adds a whole other unnecessary layer.
Ok, anacron was what I was looking for. Haven't messed around with that for a few years...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 06:30 PM

Best of luck, let us know how it goes!

Anacron is available in Macports, FWIW...

Forum Links
Forum Rules