Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" -- Satanic

Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" -- Satanic
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:16 AM

I'm not hating on this song . . . it's pretty catchy.

The most obvious satanic reference is the repeated lyric, "capital H-I-M." Then, if you go watch the full music video, it's occult imagery galore (e.g. the Goat constellation at the beginning, or the pyramidic Hell imagery, etc.).

If there were ever a doubt, it should be dispelled--Gaga is clearly some sort of Satanist/Freemason. But you have to sell your soul to make good pop music, so I'm not shocked.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:43 AM

I thought "Born This Way" was going to be about her penis.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
If there were ever a doubt, it should be dispelled--Gaga is clearly some sort of Satanist/Freemason.

Come again? The principles of a Freemason, according to the Wikipedia:

While Freemasonry has often been called a "secret society", Freemasons themselves argue that it is more correct to say that it is an esoteric society, in that certain aspects are private.[21] The most common phrasing is that Freemasonry has, in the 21st century, become less a secret society and more of a "society with secrets".[24] The private aspects of modern Freemasonry are the modes of recognition amongst members and particular elements within the ritual.[25] Despite the organisation's great diversity, Freemasonry's central preoccupations remain charitable work within a local or wider community, moral uprightness (in most cases requiring a belief in a supreme being) as well as the development and maintenance of fraternal friendship, as James Anderson's Constitutions originally urged amongst brethren.
Charitable work, requiring a belief in a supreme being, and fraternal friendship = being a Satanist?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 04:11 AM

This thread is

People really still analyze songs for Satanistic content? That's awesome.

Play it backwards - if there's any clearly audible messages, they're sure to be there specifically to piss people off, not because anybody has any interest in Satanism.

I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that, but if there's actually morons who might be prepared to spend their time on it, it's far too simple to humor them to not do it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 06:20 AM

You realize Satanists don't worship Satan right?

Also, Capital H i m, would be Him. She's saying that God agrees with her. (Incidentally not that uncommon, I'd say upwards of 50% of Christian recording artists made a statement similarly.)

As for the video, I think Gaga tends to just make some crazy costumes and stuff, and then let the other people figure out the videography stuff. She's a little too bat shit crazy to do some of the complex editing necessary to make her videos work.

Ironically I find I enjoy her songs when they're performed by other people. Alex Goot did quite a decent cover of this song, and Glee's covers were quite fun. I think part of the problem is that her voice really isn't anything amazing, it's all the performance and the spectacle that gets her noticed. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, most pop divas aren't that great of singers and she's got a lot more worthwhile stuff to say than Britney.)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 06:36 AM

Glee? Really?

No. Just no.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 09:46 AM

The most obvious satanic reference is the repeated lyric, "capital H-I-M."
Please explain the obviousness of this as a satanic reference.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 10:00 AM

Only one I know of is the band HIM or 'His Infernal Majesty'. Much more common for Him to refer to God than the devil in my experience.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 01:34 PM

Lady Gaga would be good if she hadn't already been invented years ago.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:01 PM

Clearly you guys don't listen to enough heavy metal. Capital H-I-M means His Infernal Majesty.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 02:12 PM

Clearly you guys don't listen to enough heavy metal. Capital H-I-M means His Infernal Majesty.
Clearly you didn't read all the previous posts.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Clearly you didn't read all the previous posts.
You mean the ONE person that picked up on the reference?

Commencing countdown to this becoming a thread about Salty's "sex life"...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
As for the video, I think Gaga tends to just make some crazy costumes and stuff, and then let the other people figure out the videography stuff. She's a little too bat shit crazy to do some of the complex editing necessary to make her videos work.
[...]
I think part of the problem is that her voice really isn't anything amazing, it's all the performance and the spectacle that gets her noticed. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, most pop divas aren't that great of singers and she's got a lot more worthwhile stuff to say than Britney.)
Whatever you think of her, she's *not* lacking in talent.

YouTube - Vintage Lady Gaga Live at NYU - Captivated & Electric Kiss

That's before her career got started, and it's completely obvious why she made it.

That's pretty awesome, any way you cut it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Whatever you think of her, she's *not* lacking in talent.

YouTube - Vintage Lady Gaga Live at NYU - Captivated & Electric Kiss

That's before her career got started, and it's completely obvious why she made it.

That's pretty awesome, any way you cut it.
Very Norah Jones; quite good, too. Certainly a lot better than any of her current stuff.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 03:14 PM

Nice link SH. The first part of this, live and sat by a piano, she's good and I like stuff like that. The second part, dancing around with a weird synthesiser drum machine guitar.. not so much.

YouTube - [HQ] Lady GaGa Live Brit Awards Performance 2010 | Telephone & Dance In The Dark

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 07:11 PM

Huh I stand corrected on the quality of Gaga's voice. It's a shame she doesn't sing like that on her albums, I'd probably buy them. Like I said, in general the music is actually good, I just find the genre (overly synthetic dance beat etc) to be off putting. As I said, every time I've heard her stuff redone by other people I'm always shocked at how much I like it!

And Kerrigan, if you wanna know about my sex life, just ask. I recently started seeing a guy who I kid you not must be 8 inches... lots of fun.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Apr 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2011, 07:17 PM

I recently started seeing a guy who I kid you not must be 8 inches... lots of fun.
G.I. Joe or Ken?

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2011, 07:25 PM

Lulz.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 10, 2011, 07:40 PM

saltystillgay.jpg

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 10:40 PM

If there were ever a doubt, it should be dispelled--Gaga is clearly some sort of Satanist/Freemason.
I've never seen her at our meetings, she's a fraud.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Apr 10, 2011 at 10:52 PM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 10:51 PM

Not this again... Yes, there are Satanists who worship the "Light-bearer", we even have a pair in our temple. They're freaky, but generally okay to hang out with.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

bstone
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2011, 11:30 PM

If they are Theistic Satanists they surely do. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_Satanism Most Satanists are LeVay Satanists (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism), who do not believe in the classical definition of Satan as postulated by the New Testament myth.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2011, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
If they are Theistic Satanists they surely do. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_Satanism
Woohoo, I wrote that Wiki article years ago, nice to see it's expanded a bit. Looks like it needs a little clean up, though.
- Thomas Paine

bstone
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2011, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Woohoo, I wrote that Wiki article years ago,
Citation Needed.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2011, 12:24 AM

Ha!
Katy Perry has as much talent as Kitty Purry.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2011, 09:50 PM

OK most of the less dumb Satanists don't worship Satan. I stand corrected, there are some people that are even dumber than I thought. (Speaking of dumb people, has anyone got any the end of the world billboards up in their city? A friend saw one in Sask, and we got one here in Winnipeg too. It seems they're not even joking about it, they really think the world is ending so they need a billboard to tell everyone... don't they know a YouTube video will spread quicker?)

bstone
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2011, 09:59 PM

Salty, why is theistic Satanism dumb?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 02:34 AM

The only thing Freemasonry and Satanism have in common is the hilarity of watching people speculate about what really goes on in those meetings. If I told you that Freemasonry or Satanism is more like a Rotary Club than a secret cult society, then no one would write books "exposing the dark secrets" of Freemasonry, Satanism, Illuminati, etc.

What's the point of having a tree house if everyone can join?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 02:46 AM

What I'd like to know is Kerrigan, who has been getting his game on lately telling people how lousy their arguments are (and arguments of the left in general) came up with this bulletproof argument. The thought process is a little bewildering on multiple levels, particularly the freemason = satanist coupling. Or, I should say, this bulletproof/apple sauce/leaf blower argument.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
The only thing Freemasonry and Satanism have in common is the hilarity of watching people speculate about what really goes on in those meetings. If I told you that Freemasonry or Satanism is more like a Rotary Club than a secret cult society, then no one would write books "exposing the dark secrets" of Freemasonry, Satanism, Illuminati, etc.

What's the point of having a tree house if everyone can join?
We drink a lot of coffee and play Rook. Ever watch Peggy Sue Got Married?
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 04:21 AM

Woohoo, I wrote that Wiki article years ago, nice to see it's expanded a bit. Looks like it needs a little clean up, though.
you're dana everard?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
you're dana everard?
Nope, I wiped what was there (which was just a tiny article) and started almost from scratch.

Edit: Oh, hey, I made a pun.
- Thomas Paine

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2011, 02:35 PM

Salty, why is theistic Satanism dumb?
Serious answer: exalting or worshiping a being whose conception is derived primarily from the Judeo-Christian account, while believing in the falsehood of that account, is logically stupid.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

bstone
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Serious answer: exalting or worshiping a being whose conception is derived primarily from the Judeo-Christian account, while believing in the falsehood of that account, is logically stupid.
huh?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2011, 03:40 PM

You'll have to pardon SpaceMonkey, in reality he's an erudite ferret.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 03:43 PM

What he wrote made perfect sense to me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What he wrote made perfect sense to me.
Sure it did. You're like this dog:

Only insert "poop" for "blah"

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2011, 03:51 PM

huh?
I'm probably oversimplying theistic Satanism, but if you worship or elevate Satan and believe essentially that the Bible gives him a bad rap, then you've destroyed the narrative that brought him into being in the first place. That logically calls into question anything the Bible says about him, even his very existence. The premise seems fundamentally flawed.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You'll have to pardon SpaceMonkey, in reality he's an erudite ferret.
But you can't put me down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

Davine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2011, 04:29 PM

I hear if you burn it to a cd and turn the cd upside down satan talks to you.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I'm probably oversimplying theistic Satanism, but if you worship or elevate Satan and believe essentially that the Bible gives him a bad rap, then you've destroyed the narrative that brought him into being in the first place. That logically calls into question anything the Bible says about him, even his very existence. The premise seems fundamentally flawed.
Or, you believe that he exists, but that the Bible is full of crap and that the authors gave him a reputation that he really doesn't deserve (this is how our fellow temple mates feel). They see him as a Promethean type figure, bringing enlightenment and wisdom to mankind, but was unfairly punished for it. I'm not saying that they see him as a force of purity and "good", after all it's still a LHP (Left Hand Path) we're talking about.

My feelings are more complex, as I see Lucifer and Satan as two distinctly different archetypes.
- Thomas Paine

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2011, 06:39 PM

Or, you believe that he exists, but that the Bible is full of crap and that the authors gave him a reputation that he really doesn't deserve (this is how our fellow temple mates feel).
Well, sure. I'm just saying that introduces a lot of problems and seems (to me) "stupid." (I am not trying to call you stupid). Because if the Bible is full of crap, you really have no liturgical or textual basis for believing anything about Satan at all, including his existence.

Obviously religion does not have to have a liturgical or textual basis. But theistic Satanism very explicitly claims that basis by virtue of identifying with a specific figure from the Judeo-Christian Bible.

It's a bit like religious fan-fiction, where Satan is the Captain Kirk that's in a gay love triangle with Spock and Bones.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Apr 12, 2011 at 06:56 PM. )

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2011, 10:05 PM

What I'd like to know is Kerrigan, who has been getting his game on lately telling people how lousy their arguments are (and arguments of the left in general) came up with this bulletproof argument. The thought process is a little bewildering on multiple levels, particularly the freemason = satanist coupling. Or, I should say, this bulletproof/apple sauce/leaf blower argument.
Take a Zanax, dood.

Also, / does not mean =. For example, if I said, "No dogs/cats allowed", a reasonable person would not think "dogs = cats."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 10:28 PM

That still doesn't explain why freemasons were even mentioned.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 10:46 PM

Okay, finally broke down and watched it. Meh, it's not bad. Definitely trying to ignite something with random "occultish" visuals, but they're just trying to shock and really don't understand what they're doing. It's the same as Marilyn Manson and a host of other rock dweebs. She needs to hire tool's Adam Jones to make a her next big video, he can pack more energy into 5 minutes of film than anyone else I've ever seen.

The visual imagery; the triangles, pyramids, astrology, the links to death and rebirth, repeating sequences of certain numbers throughout the video, etc. etc. It's sloppy, undirected, and disjointed, but it's there.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sure it did. You're like this dog:

Only insert "poop" for "blah"

You're like that dog.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
The music video starts off with Gaga encased in a pyramid [associated with freemasonry], adorned with a third eye [a symbol of enlightenment]. It contains some other occult allusions that are sometimes associated with freemasonry [i.e. the beginning of the video takes place in the Baphomet constellation].

All in all, it's an entertaining video, filled with many occult references--some subtle, some not-so-subtle. Gaga never fails to disappoint. (Like Shaddim says, tho, it's probably all meaningless)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2011, 12:10 AM

The music video starts off with Gaga encased in a pyramid [associated with freemasonry], adorned with a third eye [a symbol of enlightenment]. It contains some other occult allusions that are sometimes associated with freemasonry [i.e. the beginning of the video takes place in the Baphomet constellation].

All in all, it's an entertaining video, filled with many occult references--some subtle, some not-so-subtle. Gaga never fails to disappoint. (Like Shaddim says, tho, it's probably all meaningless)

Fair enough, I apologize for not getting the connection and giving you a hard time about it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2011, 11:40 PM

45/47

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2011, 10:10 AM

You mean like this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules