Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Daily Show ratings higher than all of Fox News for May

The Daily Show ratings higher than all of Fox News for May
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2011, 06:25 PM

Jon Stewart’s Ratings Are Now Higher Than All Of Fox News

I haven't fact checked this and stuff, but for those of you like me who have wondered how the fake news fares against the real (and sometimes fake) news, here you go.

In a way it's not surprising though. With cable news trending strongly towards infotainment with Fox arguably leading that charge, why not just go with the guys who are best at being entertainers?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2011, 07:02 PM

Uhm, yeah, we know you are a Stewart fanboi, but can you explain how comedy replacing news makes anything better regarding down-dumbing the American people ?

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Uhm, yeah, we know you are a Stewart fanboi, but can you explain how comedy replacing news makes anything better regarding down-dumbing the American people ?

-t
Fox News - News commentary using fear and stocking anger
Daily Show - News commentary using comedy

Fox News tried to copy the Daily Show but failed. They forgot to account for conservatives' lack of a funny bone or maybe conservative humor just isn't funny. They should stick with the fear game since it works with conservatives. Muslims! Gays! Atheists! Oh My!
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 02:55 AM

-t

Again, I didn't say that, and I'm also ready to give up trying to figure out your brain, but to address your question I wonder if people not watching the cable news programs would be better for America in the long run?

For starters, there are other (legitimate) sources of news, but the big thing to me is that maybe the networks not getting the ratings they seek will eventually force them to take a long and hard look at their product?

I know my product is long and hard.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 02:58 AM

Proof of the progressive retardation of the American public?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 03:21 AM

Thanks for dropping by!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 03:44 AM

You're welcome!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I wonder if people not watching the cable news programs would be better for America in the long run?
I agree.

I know my product is long and hard.
Geeze, dude, are you 14 ?

-t

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2011, 10:19 AM

Anyone surprised to know that it's much easier to administer medicine to a dog by stuffing it in bacon?

The take-away: one audience has an even shorter attention span than the other.
ebuddy

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 10:42 AM

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Anyone surprised to know that it's much easier to administer medicine to a dog by stuffing it in bacon?

The take-away: one audience has an even shorter attention span than the other.

There's this, but you can also just look at the low ratings of cable news while only using the Daily Show as a reference point. I mean, shouldn't 24 hours of news on a channel that is perhaps more ubiquitous do better regardless of the existence of the Daily Show? The same of course goes for CNN and MSNBC...

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2011, 12:37 PM

There's this, but you can also just look at the low ratings of cable news while only using the Daily Show as a reference point. I mean, shouldn't 24 hours of news on a channel that is perhaps more ubiquitous do better regardless of the existence of the Daily Show? The same of course goes for CNN and MSNBC...
Ratings always drop for programs aired during prime-time in the summer. Are you going to pop back in here when Fox News' ratings return to normal in September? Unless you're suggesting that more people are opting to get their news from the Daily Show (which may explain an awful lot) over cable news, I'm not really sure what your point is.

Otherwise, yes. Children would rather eat candy than vegetables.
ebuddy

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 12:51 PM

Ratings always drop for programs aired during prime-time in the summer. Are you going to pop back in here when Fox News' ratings return to normal in September? Unless you're suggesting that more people are opting to get their news from the Daily Show (which may explain an awful lot) over cable news, I'm not really sure what your point is.

So, you don't think any of these numbers are any sort of indication of the perceived quality of cable news programming? One show vs. the entire 24 hours of programming?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2011, 01:03 PM

So, you don't think any of these numbers are any sort of indication of the perceived quality of cable news programming? One show vs. the entire 24 hours of programming?
It might be an indication of the perceived quality of cable news @ 10pm, when the Daily Show airs against a replay of O'Reilly- sure... I suppose. It might be an indication of the demo, what they're doing @ 10pm, what they're doing @ 10pm in the summer, and/or what everyone else is doing @ 10pm in the summer. You've not cited where these extraneous viewers are going so I have to assume perhaps people are either tired of news in general or they're doing something else during the day in May. After all, O'Reilly still beats The Daily show by several hundred thousand viewers.

Like I said, I look forward to an update in September and what you feel the indications are at that time. Deal?
ebuddy

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2011, 01:22 PM

It might be an indication of the perceived quality of cable news @ 10pm, when the Daily Show airs against a replay of O'Reilly- sure... I suppose. It might be an indication of the demo, what they're doing @ 10pm, what they're doing @ 10pm in the summer, and/or what everyone else is doing @ 10pm in the summer. You've not cited where these extraneous viewers are going so I have to assume perhaps people are either tired of news in general or they're doing something else during the day in May. After all, O'Reilly still beats The Daily show by several hundred thousand viewers.

Like I said, I look forward to an update in September and what you feel the indications are at that time. Deal?

The Daily Show airs at 11. Why is the timeslot relevant though? The Daily Show beat the 6:00 primetime cable news slots and all others combined this month, that's the point.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2011, 01:29 PM

It's a totally useless and misleading comparison.
Pundit shows like Stewart, O'Reily, Hannity, Beck, etc. always get higher ratings than straight news, which is all the comparison to Stewart is doing.

Link
Liberal political website Politics USA has issued a story stating that the Jon Stewart Show has beat out the entire Fox News Network in terms of daily viewership for the month of May. But when you look at the fine print, the story that Politics USA concocts is totally misleading within its entire premise.

In fact, The O'Reilly Factor beats out Stewart's show on its own and without any help from any of the other Fox News programs. Even better, when the Factor runs the second time it actually creams Stewart's show by almost a factor of twice the number of viewers.

We simply find it fascinating that for the purpose of viewership numbers, Liberals will separate Fox News' actual news programming from the Fox News opinion shows. However, when it serves to somehow suit their purposes, various liberal activistic sites will include both the opinion shows and the Fox News programming under the penumbra of Fox News in total.

We are not surprised.

It'd be like the right trying to tout up Beck by only comparing him to CNN's news ratings, and then ignoring other pundit shows that beats his ratings single-handedly.
( Last edited by CRASH HARDDRIVE; Jun 5, 2011 at 02:06 PM. )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2011, 12:43 PM

Proof of the dumbing down of America. Its not like they are accurate, or at least honest on that program. They probably have an accuracy percentage similar to CBS.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 7, 2011, 07:07 PM

I love the fact that the Daily Show is aiming for so high of a target as Fox News.

Two shows and audiences that take themselves far more seriously than they should. I guess the comparison is fair (and balanced).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2011, 07:11 PM

In other news, Inception made more money then Glenn Beck!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 07:15 PM

I'm not making any predictions nor do I intend to argue about the righteousness of the numbers in my original article, but as an aside I do want to learn more about how these numbers are generated and how they take into account time shifting and online viewing...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 09:30 PM

I'm not making any predictions nor do I intend to argue about the righteousness of the numbers in my original article, but as an aside I do want to learn more about how these numbers are generated and how they take into account time shifting and online viewing...
One thing you'll find is that ratings are none different than statistics - they're LIES.

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 10:31 PM

That's not the comparison, at least not how it was presented in your link. It's one show versus each individual show on Fox News. Stewart v. Hannity, Stewart v. Baier, Stewart v. Beck, etc.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Railroader
Banned
Jun 7, 2011, 11:29 PM

Just a side note: Judge Judy has a 400% higher daily audience than The Daily Show.

Carry on.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 11:31 PM

That's because there are so many criminals in Amaraca.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
That's not the comparison, at least not how it was presented in your link. It's one show versus each individual show on Fox News. Stewart v. Hannity, Stewart v. Baier, Stewart v. Beck, etc.

The article is definitely misleading, but it was interesting to me that the Daily Show was anywhere near all other shows but O'Reilly.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 12:09 PM

Let's see, comparing Apples vs. Oranges, comparing Apples vs. Oranges and misrepresenting with the numbers, comparing Apples vs. one orange. 3/3 for the terrible thread hat trick.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 8, 2011, 02:02 PM

I think that is par for the course.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I think that is par for the course.

Love thy neighbor.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Let's see, comparing Apples vs. Oranges, comparing Apples vs. Oranges and misrepresenting with the numbers, comparing Apples vs. one orange. 3/3 for the terrible thread hat trick.

You'll notice my second sentence of this thread, unaltered from its first incarnation:

I haven't fact checked this and stuff, but for those of you like me who have wondered how the fake news fares against the real (and sometimes fake) news, here you go.
I just thought it would be fun to talk about this. Like I said, I'm surprised that a fake news program is anywhere near any real news on a well-funded ubiquitous real news station.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 03:21 PM

I just thought it would be fun to talk about this. Like I said, I'm surprised that a fake news program is anywhere near any real news on a well-funded ubiquitous real news station.
The Onion is fake news. The Daily Show is entertainment that revolves around lampooning and mocking politics and media.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The Onion is fake news. The Daily Show is entertainment that revolves around lampooning and mocking politics and media.

True...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2011, 05:12 PM

/smirks

Railroader
Banned
Jun 8, 2011, 10:06 PM

Love thy neighbor.
I wish you would try to get it. I am showing love by trying to get you to change your ways. I am sacrificing my time to explain this to you. That is love.

Now please, it is immature of you to intentionally misinterpret this poorly skewed blog site that is skewing statistics to mock Fox News.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 10:38 PM

I wish you would try to get it. I am showing love by trying to get you to change your ways. I am sacrificing my time to explain this to you. That is love.

Now please, it is immature of you to intentionally misinterpret this poorly skewed blog site that is skewing statistics to mock Fox News.

If you really love me you will hug me.

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2011, 10:47 PM

I won't deny that Daily Show is candy, yummy yummy candy, but I don't think Glenn Beck is vegetables. I don't think any opinion show is vegetables. Are there any straight news, facts, journalistic shows still out there?

C-Span is vegetables, heck, C-Span is lima beans.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 8, 2011, 11:14 PM

If you really love me you will hug me.
Yup, still not getting it.

Just so you are aware, eventually I'll need to abide by Matthew 7:6 "Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 11:17 PM

Just give him your poop, and he'll be content.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2011, 11:18 PM

Just so you are aware, eventually I'll need to abide by Matthew 7:6 "Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you."
LOLwut? This thread is turning way weird.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 11:46 PM

I like this bible verse: "love thy neighbor"

screener
Senior User
Jun 9, 2011, 04:18 AM

The Daily Show has gotten disinterested people following politics that otherwise wouldn't.
Sure, some just watch for the laughs but a lot actually use the web to dig deeper after watching the show.
That has to be a good thing.

For those who believe it's strictly a left wing thing, you've never watched it, no one is spared.
You F#$k up, you are fair game.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 9, 2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
LOLwut? This thread is turning way weird.
We are going off on a derail that besson3c started. He's attempting to use the Bible in an incorrect way, and even after it has been explained to him he continues to intentionally misunderstand the verse he's quoting.

I am about to obey Jesus in his commandment not to waste his word on those who intentionally mock the scriptures.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2011, 11:34 PM

He's attempting to use the Bible in an incorrect way, and even after it has been explained to him he continues to intentionally misunderstand the verse he's quoting.
If the Bible was so cut and dry, then you would have 50 different sects all arguing about the different meanings of verses.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2011, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
If the Bible was so cut and dry, then you would have 50 different sects all arguing about the different meanings of verses.
Nah.

There would be 50 different sects all arguing about the different meanings regardless of the Bible being cut and dry, or not. People like to argue and be right.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2011, 12:35 AM

Nah.

There would be 50 different sects all arguing about the different meanings regardless of the Bible being cut and dry, or not. People like to argue and be right.

-t

Or, there is rarely truly cut and dry in life?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2011, 01:06 AM

Or, there is rarely truly cut and dry in life?
Depends. Math, logic, software programing. Either right or wrong, mostly.

And, of course, beer. It's either beer, or American crap

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2011, 01:12 AM

Depends. Math, logic, software programing. Either right or wrong, mostly.

And, of course, beer. It's either beer, or American smoke

-t

How is it that America has so many great companies, technology, schools, wealth, etc. etc. but easily the shittiest mass produced beer in the world? I mean, really, it's absolutely horrible! WTF?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2011, 01:15 AM

*shrug*

You tell me.

-t

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2011, 01:15 AM

How is it that America has so many great companies, technology, schools, wealth, etc. etc. but easily the shittiest mass produced beer in the world? I mean, really, it's absolutely horrible! WTF?
Your favorite?
ebuddy

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2011, 01:35 AM

Your favorite?
It varies depending on my mood and how slutty I'm feeling, but I definitely think very highly of German beer, although there are several here I haven't tried: Beer in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guinness is always very yummy with big nice heavy/hearty meals too like Irish coddle/stew...

You?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2011, 11:04 AM

It varies depending on my mood and how slutty I'm feeling, but I definitely think very highly of German beer, although there are several here I haven't tried: Beer in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guinness is always very yummy with big nice heavy/hearty meals too like Irish coddle/stew...

You?
Guinness is great if you're in the mood. If you're only kind of in the mood, Harps is 'ite. I likes me some Heineken. I even like Moosehead. German beers are often too skunky IMO.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules