Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Airport Exterme and Linksys router

Airport Exterme and Linksys router
Applefreak01
Senior User
Jan 9, 2003, 05:09 PM

I am going to get the 12" PowerBook soon. I want to be able to surf around the house. Can I just plug the WAN of the base station into a LAN port on my Linksys router and have it work? I would just use the base station, but I have two computers and my xbox that need to share my broadband connection and one of the computers doesn't support airport(rev a. iMac). Thanks.

-Q-
Jan 9, 2003, 06:09 PM

It should work fine. You're just passing TCP/IP traffic via the router to the ABS. The only thing changes is the speed at which the traffic travels over the wireless network. If it's a 100BaseT network, you'll see faster speeds in file transfers (not so much in 'net access b/c cable modems and DSL lines don't transfer at the speed of AP Extreme).

jfinete
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2003, 06:04 AM

You've got two choices. The first is to do what you said and connect the Airport Base Station's WAN port to the Linksys router. In that case, the Linksys should handle the DHCP/NAT duties, so you'll configure the Airport to be just a "bridge" for the wireless network.

The second option is to sell the Linksys router and buy an Ethernet hub. In this case, the ABS's WAN port would connect to your broadband connection, and the LAN port would connect to the hub.

Jeebs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by jfinete:
... connect the Airport Base Station's WAN port to the Linksys router. In that case, the Linksys should handle the DHCP/NAT duties, so you'll configure the Airport to be just a "bridge" for the wireless network.
Thanks, jfinete! I was going nuts trying to figure that out. I noted with interest the PDF manual's reference to the bridge option, but was unsure if it meant what I thought it did. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the manual assumes users have a higher level of networking knowledge than the average home or casual user. Deselecting "Distribute IP addresses" allowed me to connect my new 12" PowerBook to my Asante router via Airport Extreme and connect to the Internet as well as to other computers on the network.

Forum Links
Forum Rules