Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > File Transfer Speed from iBook to Windows XP Pro PC

File Transfer Speed from iBook to Windows XP Pro PC
Applefreak01
Senior User
Sep 13, 2003, 12:33 AM

I have a question. I have a router which my iBook (running 10.2.6) and HP (running Windows XP Pro) connect to.

Setup 1: When I connect to the HP from the iBook and transfer any file from the iBook to the HP it takes forever no matter how big or small the file size.

Setup 2:When I connect to the iBook from the HP and transfer the same file from the HP to the iBook. It goes a lot faster (and I mean a lot). The difference in time would be hours if I wouldn't stop the transfer in setup 1.

The iBooks hard drive wasn't asleep or anything because I turned that off to transfer the file.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 12:56 AM

What are the IPs of both machines?

stew
Senior User
Sep 13, 2003, 07:09 AM

What are you using to transfer the files? Windows shares? SMB is a very problematic protocol, in your case I'd try running an ftp server on the Mac and using that for file transfer. In contrast to OS X, ftp/filemanager integration in XP is usable.

Stink different.

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Sep 13, 2003, 12:32 PM

The IP's are 192.168.1.2 for the HP and 192.168.1.3 for the Mac. And yes I'm using SMB to connect to the HP. Guess I'll just have to use CD-RW disc. Thanks for the help.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

:XI:
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
The IP's are 192.168.1.2 for the HP and 192.168.1.3 for the Mac. And yes I'm using SMB to connect to the HP. Guess I'll just have to use CD-RW disc. Thanks for the help.
On the mac, turn on 'FTP Access' in the Sharing pane of System Preferences. connect from the pc with any old ftp program you like, there's one built into XP Explorer.

And this should have gone in the network forum. I swear, I should be a mod. I'd ban you all

Forum Links
Forum Rules