Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Great Two Total Carb Taco Dinner!

Great Two Total Carb Taco Dinner! (Page 2)
demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Yeah, isn't he cute? They're all cute and they make me really happy.
His eyes look creepy.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
Currently, the iDriveX diet...knock it if you want but it's working:

Morning:
2 BIG glasses of water
One Egg Beater Cup
Slice of cheese cut up into the egg beaters
side of two links of sausage

Lunch:
2 BIG glasses of water
2 slices of cheese
16 slices of peperroni (the kind you would put on a pizza)

Dinner:
2 BIG glasses of water
Lean Hamburger Patty cooked on the grill, slice of cheese on top

alternate with

2 BIG glasses of water
Small chicken ceasar salad

Dessert (every now and then when I need something sweet):
Cut up Strawberries, Raspberries and blackberries with a bit of cool whip
Not trying to knock your success in losing weight at all - but that's insane. You might be taking in calories, but you're not taking in any nutrients. Where are the vitamins, there are the anti-oxidants, where are the monounsaturated fats?

You keep eating like that you might lose weight but you'll also be on a fast track to a heart attack.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 07:56 PM

His eyes look creepy.
Why?

That comment made me laugh!

His eyes look creepy...because he's happy and full of love?

Thank you WDLove.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
The DeathToWindows undergraduate diet

So: fruit for breakfast + dining hall (moderation) for lunch + dining hall (even more moderation) for dinner + fruit & bread for a late-night snack
You'll do better with your body fat levels if you replace the fruit and carbs at night with a slow-digesting protein, ala casein (milk, cottage cheese, yogurt).
Currently, the iDriveX diet...knock it if you want but it's working:

Morning:
2 BIG glasses of water
One Egg Beater Cup
Slice of cheese cut up into the egg beaters
side of two links of sausage

Lunch:
2 BIG glasses of water
2 slices of cheese
16 slices of peperroni (the kind you would put on a pizza)

Dinner:
2 BIG glasses of water
Lean Hamburger Patty cooked on the grill, slice of cheese on top

alternate with

2 BIG glasses of water
Small chicken ceasar salad

Dessert (every now and then when I need something sweet):
Cut up Strawberries, Raspberries and blackberries with a bit of cool whip
I'd recommend replacing the pepperoni with maybe a veggie burger or something soy-based. There's so much processing involved in pepperoni (and sodium) that I think that's your weak point. Unless of course your cheese is 'American' - that's just like eating Crisco.

You should really add a multi vitamin in the morning and night to get more nutrients. Overall, it's not that bad of a diet. I wouldn't think you'd be able to do it for more than a few months though before you go crazy and splurge. Also, you shouldn't think of water consumption with meals, but more of a 'throughout the day' thing. I carry a gallon around with me every day and it always gets finished, but you can also carry one of those 16oz bottles and refill it to drink 8 total. Either/or.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 08:02 PM

KeriVit is right.

The two-week break in period of close to pure protein is really a way to kick the nasty sugar-dependent eating habits so many of us have. If you actually take the time to read up on Atkins, it ISN'T meat, meat, meat but actually a balance of things with an emphasis on staying away from sugars and carbs.

The problem is that the media never seems to see past that first two weeks...

If you actually get to the last phase (Maintenance), your eating habits should be based on:

- allowing you to maximize the amount of healthy carbohydrate foods you can eat while staying within three to five pounds of your goal weight

- training you to make the healthiest carbohydrate choices, which will allow you to continue to stay in control of your eating habits, feel your best and maintain improved blood-lipid levels, blood pressure and other lab test results, as well as optimize your blood pressure, energy and more

- teaching you how to adjust your carbohydrate consumption when metabolic circumstances change, before you find yourself regaining inches and/or weight

- Be food aware�remember that fresh meat, fish, fowl, vegetables, nuts, seeds and occasional fruits and starches are the foods nature intended you to eat.

- Be endlessly wary of sugar and corn syrup, and white flour and cornstarch. Look at the labels of any packaged food you are considering and avoid (like the plague) those that contain sugar, corn syrup and honey. And read those labels for the carbohydrate content of the foods you want to eat.
It ISN'T about gorging on meat at every possible opportunity... and yes, EVERYTHING in moderation.

Originally posted by KeriVit:
But it is a good jump-start. However, from that point on, you just gotta eat right and exercise.

Everything in moderation.
( Last edited by legacyb4; Feb 24, 2005 at 08:13 PM. )
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 08:13 PM

Drinking lots of water during a meal isn't exactly the best way to digest food, as your stomach's acids are thus diluted, and work slower until the water is absorbed. Drink some to help the food go down, but not too much. In fact, one of the biggest problems with eating in the states is not enough focus is paid on actual digestion. The better your body is able to digest food, the better. This involves eating slower, sitting upright, chewing more, taking your time and so on. You'll get full with less food, and digest quicker this way.

Ending your meal with something like a coffee or tea (or something with dietetic qualities) can also help. Wolfing something down on the go is just a big fat no no.

But yeah, lots of water during the day is good.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 24, 2005, 08:26 PM

Indeed Pauly. Infact, if you can, it is wiser to drink after you eat, as this is optimal for digestion. And to iDrive, you should talk to a nutritionist, because peperoni and cheese, is just not so good for you, it is a sure way to bloating and indigestion. At the least I would reccomend drinking warm water with some fresh lemon juice first thing after you rise as this is very good for your insides.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 08:41 PM

Carbohydrates = 4 cal/gram.
Fat = 9 cal/gram

You Atkins people are weird.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Carbohydrates = 4 cal/gram.
Fat = 9 cal/gram

You Atkins people are weird.
Carbs = very easy to convert into body fat.
Fat = very hard to convert into body fat.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 09:26 PM

Sherwin: I didn't know that about fat. Why is it hard to convert into body fat?

So, if I eat nothing but butter I won't get fat? And drink heavy cream? And eat prime rib?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
There are of course bad cabs (sugar, refined foods) and good carbs (whole grain cereals, vegetables).

gomanute
Feb 24, 2005, 09:40 PM

If you're genuinely interested in healthy eating, you won't have to worry about counting calories or carbs or portions or whatever because you'll be eating healthy foods, not smaller amounts of unhealthy foods.

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't difficult. It's all about little changes. Switch from Stouffer's and Campbell's to Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice. Snack on reduced fat crackers and fruit instead of chips and sweets. Drink skim milk and juices instead of cola. You get the idea.

It's all just as satisfying. Really.

And exercise. Healthy eating alone is not a healthy lifestyle. Don't tell me you don't have time. If you have time to watch television, you have time to exercise.

Thin and healthy are not one and the same. You might lose weight on a fad diet, but all it means is it will only take two paramedics to pick up your corpse instead of five.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by gomanute:

Thin and healthy are not one and the same.
Quoted for emphasis.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Sherwin: I didn't know that about fat. Why is it hard to convert into body fat?

So, if I eat nothing but butter I won't get fat? And drink heavy cream? And eat prime rib?
Theoretically, yes (AFAIK - I'm no expert, just repeating what I've been told by sports nutritionists). However, as Mas points out it's a little more complicated than that (which I'm not qualified to go into a discussion about).
When all's said and done, this is why the Atkins diet works (the nutritionists I had the information off actually had a way to re-educate the system so you wouldn't put weight on again when you'd finished the diet, but I can't remember it).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2005, 10:30 PM

My first boss had an interesting diet, whereby he'd basically graze instead of taking full meals. He'd eat something when he was hungry, stop when he stopped feeling hungry, and then eat again when he felt hungry again. There were only two rules besides this: avoid fried foods period, and don't get more than 1/3 of your calories from fat if you can help it (but if you don't know about a specific meal, don't worry too much).

The man dropped weight like a stone, I kid you not. Several other people in the office tried the diet too, with similar results. I never tried it myself, and I have to wonder how safe it really is, but it's got to be better than a diet which deliberately harnesses the body's emergency self-cannibalization methods.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I never tried it myself, and I have to wonder how safe it really is, but it's got to be better than a diet which deliberately harnesses the body's emergency self-cannibalization methods.
This is along the lines of a bodybuilding diet. Most eat 6 small meals a day to maximize food metabolism. It's known to be the healthiest way to eat and stay lean, but with this diet eating becomes a major part of your day. It also is hard to do in a family atmosphere where it is common to have a big dinner with the kids after work. Give it a shot for a few months and it'll work. Just make sure you limit your little snacks to a hundred calories or so to drop weight.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2005, 11:11 PM

Nope, the opposite is true. You may be thinking of simple carbs being easily converted into glucose and blood sugar.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2005, 11:24 PM

2 BIG glasses of water
Didn't anyone ever teach you that you're not supposed to drink that much during a meal? Water dilutes the stomach acids that help break down your food.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:
Nope, the opposite is true. You may be thinking of simple carbs being easily converted into glucose and blood sugar.
So why does Atkins work?

Explain please - in detail - I'm interested.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 02:25 AM

So why does Atkins work?

Explain please - in detail - I'm interested.
Caloric restriction. People get a lot of calories from carbohydrates (as well they should), and when you cut out a big source of calories like that, you're going to take in less calories. It's not unlike being a vegetarian - a lot of people get lots of calories from meat, and if you said "no more meat," you'd probably lose weight because you'd just naturally take in less calories. Low-carb diets work the same way. You're cutting out (or way down) on a huge chunk of the food you eat.

I believe that people probably eat too much sugar, and that's a big cause of obesity. But I doubt that bread and rice and pasta are a bigger cause of consuming too many calories than meat. Maybe for some people - and for those people who pig out on bread and pasta every day, sure, they need to eat less of those foods. But there's nothing special about it, it's calories in vs. calories out. It always comes down to that.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 02:52 AM

What? No iMovie? You should film yourself cooking this meal, so you can have the first cooking video-blog in the internet

Forum Links
Forum Rules