Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Save Toby

Save Toby
jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 04:25 PM

Apparently, only WE have the power to save Toby. This cracked me up.

Save Toby

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 04:28 PM

Rabbit is actually extremely tasty.

THE BUNNY MUST DIE.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2005, 04:42 PM

WTF???

That's a nice way to make money. I think I'll make one too...

"Save Johnnie"

Johnnie is my favourite sweater, and I love wearing him. But if I don't get $100,000 donated into my PayPal account by the end of June 2005, I'm going to take a pair of scissors and do horrible things to him. You don't want that on your conscience, do ya? Better send a little clinkin' cash my way, hadn't ya?

Only you have the power to save Johnnie!!!

Blech, what a bloodsucker.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 04:45 PM

Yuck that is not nice.

Better be a joke

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 04:46 PM

Hey, that's like that SNL sketch with the lobster (for those of you ancient enough to remember). Call to save him, and he gos out on the town, wining and dining and holiday and so on. Or he gets boiled in a pot. Thousands of people paid to vote. I even did (to kill!).

Adopt-A-Yankee

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 04:48 PM

Its like one of those tourist traps in 3rd world countries.

Tourist: "hey look its a cute bunny"
Dirtbag: "you like it?"
Tourist: "ya"
Dirtbag: "ok, give me 20 dollars or I will cut off its head, and eat it..raw"

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 04:56 PM

This is a joke - and it's not even funny.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 05:26 PM

/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 05:33 PM

This is not even original.

Save Bernd, not Toby!

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 08:09 PM

My GOD this is brilliant. Why didn't I think of this? Maybe because I lack a wabbit. But I have a rather annoying cat....

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
This is a joke - and it's not even funny.
I don't think so. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7406483/
Even if people can't really donate, which I didn't try to do, they're probably bringing in some serious dough with the advertising. That does look more like a pet store bought bunny than a wild one though.

Fake or not, I like it. Funny on all kinds of levels and informative too. I'm going to have to try out some of those recipes. I hope they eat the bunny, that would drive people mad. Too bad there are no bunny eating smiley gifs.

ghporter
Administrator
May 16, 2005, 09:10 PM

Toby's gonna croak. Too bad. What a bastich, and what a shameless and dispicable way to extort money! I hope he gets tricomoniasis or shigella or some other really BAD food poisoning for his trouble.

I have HAD shigella, and let me tell you, someone has to go pretty darn low for me to wish that on them!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 16, 2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Toby's gonna croak. Too bad. What a bastich, and what a shameless and dispicable way to extort money! I hope he gets tricomoniasis or shigella or some other really BAD food poisoning for his trouble.

I have HAD shigella, and let me tell you, someone has to go pretty darn low for me to wish that on them!
Don't be hatin', he's only playing off of other people's stupidities. Feel sorry for those that actually donated money.

sideus
Mac Elite
May 16, 2005, 10:43 PM

Timeline!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 17, 2005, 01:50 AM

This isn't a new thread! No timeline needed!

tooki

P.S. Rabbit: the other, other, other white meat.

sideus
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 02:00 AM

Damn zombie threads.

dialo
Senior User
May 17, 2005, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
try snopes

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by itistoday
Don't be hatin', he's only playing off of other people's stupidities. Feel sorry for those that actually donated money.
The problem is that what he's doing is taking advantage of people who have just found the Internet-usually young kids and older people. Kids are easy to manipulate, and older people have grown up to believe that any media should be taken seriously. While I'm sure my dad wouldn't have even gotten to that site, he sure wouldn't fall for it-but there are tons of older people who get a computer an a connection because "everybody is doing it" who will send this crud-head money. And I worry about the kids that find that site-there could be long-lasting psychological repercussions because of this idiot's "joke."

And I firmly believe that rabbits are prey animals, and thus should be sacrificed when needed. If Toby's gonna die, this guy had better post pictures from start to finish-I want to see him eat his words and his bunny.

I'm reminded of the televangelist who locked himself in his office and said God would take him if his foundation didn't get a large amount of money in donations. Funny thing is that he didn't make his target in donations, but he's still around. OH, that was supposed to be in Aramaic dollars, not U.S. dollars! That makes sense...<scoff>

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by sideus
Damn zombie threads.

-t

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 04:32 PM

The problem is that what he's doing is taking advantage of people who have just found the Internet-usually young kids and older people. Kids are easy to manipulate, and older people have grown up to believe that any media should be taken seriously. While I'm sure my dad wouldn't have even gotten to that site, he sure wouldn't fall for it-but there are tons of older people who get a computer an a connection because "everybody is doing it" who will send this crud-head money. And I worry about the kids that find that site-there could be long-lasting psychological repercussions because of this idiot's "joke."

And I firmly believe that rabbits are prey animals, and thus should be sacrificed when needed. If Toby's gonna die, this guy had better post pictures from start to finish-I want to see him eat his words and his bunny.

I'm reminded of the televangelist who locked himself in his office and said God would take him if his foundation didn't get a large amount of money in donations. Funny thing is that he didn't make his target in donations, but he's still around. OH, that was supposed to be in Aramaic dollars, not U.S. dollars! That makes sense...<scoff>
Oh yeah he had better eat that wabbit. But "long-lasting psychological repercussions"? Give me a break. I don't care how old you are, but if you are moderately intelligent such a site won't harm your precious psyche. Actually, if you're dumb enough to be harmed by such a site, then there's not much hope for you anyways, whether or not that site existed. I'd be more afraid of the psychological ramifications of crap cartoons like "Pokemon". And besides, do you think that he's making money off of 10 year olds?

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2005, 06:42 PM

Oh yeah he had better eat that wabbit. But "long-lasting psychological repercussions"? Give me a break. I don't care how old you are, but if you are moderately intelligent such a site won't harm your precious psyche. Actually, if you're dumb enough to be harmed by such a site, then there's not much hope for you anyways, whether or not that site existed. I'd be more afraid of the psychological ramifications of crap cartoons like "Pokemon". And besides, do you think that he's making money off of 10 year olds?
The unfortunate fact is that a whole lot of "parents" use home computers and the Internet the way they used TV ten years ago-as a baby sitter. I doubt that any young kid is going to send him money, but I do not doubt that a 10 year old who sees that site without some sort of immediate support will have bad dreams for a while over it. That picture is of a real bunny, not some cartoon, and kids really do know the difference.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 17, 2005, 07:29 PM

The unfortunate fact is that a whole lot of "parents" use home computers and the Internet the way they used TV ten years ago-as a baby sitter. I doubt that any young kid is going to send him money, but I do not doubt that a 10 year old who sees that site without some sort of immediate support will have bad dreams for a while over it. That picture is of a real bunny, not some cartoon, and kids really do know the difference.
Ok, fine. But tell me what exactly you're afraid will happen to the kid? I don't think he'll go insane, and I don't think he'll turn into a psycho killer. The pictures of the bunny on that site are harmless, and the text is quite tame (except for the hate mail). I think you're "making a mountain out of a mole hill", as they say.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 07:35 PM

If you try to donate, you get this message from the PayPal site. "This recipient is currently unable to receive money."

ImpulseResponse

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
If you try to donate, you get this message from the PayPal site. "This recipient is currently unable to receive money."
Looks like PayPal shut him down. I don't blame them.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2005, 08:22 AM

Ok, fine. But tell me what exactly you're afraid will happen to the kid? I don't think he'll go insane, and I don't think he'll turn into a psycho killer. The pictures of the bunny on that site are harmless, and the text is quite tame (except for the hate mail). I think you're "making a mountain out of a mole hill", as they say.
I'm not saying that thousands of kids would suddenly shave their heads and find large kitchen knives, just that some kids could be harmed. Any injury to a child-particularly through such a lame site-is uncalled for.

Forum Links
Forum Rules