Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dead g4 12" 867 powerbook wont boot

dead g4 12" 867 powerbook wont boot
gromit95
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2008, 07:57 PM

hi
my powerbook just wont boot. no boot up chime, no screen, no sound at all, no fan, no hard drive nothing.
i did the pmu thing no go. it not the power pack , it light up and the battery is charging. i removed the airport card and the 2nd ram chip and battery to see if it would boot from the charger. no difference. i don't think its the hard drive? i thinking it the main board?

am i correct? is it time for a new pb.
thanks fred

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2008, 02:43 AM

Yea.. sounds like the logic board... but it's POSSIBLE, it could be the top case. The top case has the power button... and I've seen cases where (pun intended) a water spill has caused damage to the top case... and no one can get the computer on because of a damaged power button.

But, more than likely, it sounds like the logic board. If you have no other damage to the computer, you can have Apple send it into their repair depot for a flat rate repair fee of about $325. But remember, they don't guarantee your data. Being that the 867 is about 4 years old... I would say it's probably about time for a new one anyway.

If you're interested in selling the broken computer... I'd be interested. If you need me to remove the hard drive and get your data, or send you the hard drive so you can retrieve the data or, send you the hard drive with an enclosure so it's like an external hard drive and you can retrieve your data from it... I can do those things too.

gromit95  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2008, 03:03 PM

i thought a bad hard drive would boot to a screen with a folder with question mark on it,
showing it cant find the system folder / hard drive. Does it not boot from bios proforming sys tests until it looks for the hd?

when i plug in the charger it lights up green then changes to amber charging the battery .
laptop is off. i push the power button (no sound nothing) if i push the caps lock key the led comes on. num lock led also works?

i'm going to try to boot fron the cd. i just afraid of losing my cd and not be able to get it back out.

fred

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2008, 03:25 PM

Nobody suggested it was a bad hard drive. Chipchen said (and I think as well) that it's most likely a busted logic board, which would prevent the computer from turning on at all.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

gromit95  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2008, 03:33 PM

sorry
i was just confirming. i think is the board also
but i have someone telling me no no its the hard drive
just want to be sure
fred

Forum Links