Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard an endangered species in France? Purposely misleading customers?

Snow Leopard an endangered species in France? Purposely misleading customers?
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2009, 08:14 AM

I am just wondering if anyone in France actually has a copy of 10.6 at the moment?

I ordered from the Applestore France online store on Thursday 27th at about 6am - stock was showing as 'available within 24 hours/free delivery', so although I thought twice about buying it locally, I ordered directly with Apple.

Well, the 28th came and went, 29th, morning of the 30th... until 8pm on Sunday evening, I get a 'Your order has shipped email - expect delivery on the 1st September - your UPS tracking number is XXXXXX'.

I waited at work this morning for UPS, checked the tracking number on the UPS website, but no show. I called them, only for them to tell me that they do not even have the package from Apple yet. It turns out that Apple ordered and set up the shipping labels only, and not actually delivered the product to UPS to be delivered.

So, I called Apple, only for them to tell me that yes, they have only delivered the labels to UPs - and although orders have been marked as 'dispatched', they have no stock of OS X 10.6 AT ALL, and I'll maybe get a copy by Monday 7th. Maybe. Possibly. But probably not. In fact, despite my ordering being marked as 'SHIPPED! Delivery on the 1st September', they have no idea when they will have stock, and no idea when it will actually be sent.

I have just called all the local resellers and tech stores, they have reported that they are yet to receive any copies at all either! The local reseller said he got a few for release, literally a handfull, and nothing more.

Not ideal from Apple France.
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Sep 2, 2009 at 03:08 AM. Reason: The eternal sake of brevity)

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2009, 03:01 AM

Well, I guess I spoke a little too soon; I awoke to a very pleasant surprise in my inbox... my copy of SL is suddenly due for delivery this morning!

After speaking to Apple yesterday, who assured me that this was not possible, and I *definitely* had another 4+ days wait - a copy has gone all the way through Holland - Germany - Paris - Rennes (FR) - and to me, since 3am this morning... Bearing in mind it is only 9am now, I couldn't even drive it that fast!

**Admins, please feel free to delete this thread as it is now redundant!**

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 6, 2009, 11:33 AM

Switzerland wasn't much better -- it was released on Friday, and by Saturday at noon when I went to get a copy, it was sold out everywhere, even Apple itself. The only reason I got a copy is cuz a buddy of mine who works at a local Apple dealer had the foresight to set a copy aside for me.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2009, 04:03 PM

I hear you. I ordered from the Apple Store Spain on Friday 25th, the SL copy was delivered on September 4th. Not that annoying given how some typical apps I run are not Snow Leopard ready as of writing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules