Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The ways iTunes 12 sucks

The ways iTunes 12 sucks
andi*pandi
Dec 25, 2017, 06:10 PM

I was dismayed to remember, when attempting to put new (old) apps on the original ipad, that iTunes no longer manages apps. So I can either a) install apps on the ipad app store directly, if I can sort through 400+ apps I've tried over the years; or b) install via drag n drop from the finder, if I have the app file. Which I don't for many of the old ones. It would be super to have a sort for "will work on ios v5" "children's game" "game" etc.

Second complaint: attempting to do home sharing for christmas playlist, discovered that the smart playlist on my mac got transmogrified on the ipad air to some other playlist entirely. Redid playlist, again, same issue. Google tells me other people experience this with smart playlists too. So I have to make a manual holiday playlist.

Minor complaints, I know, but annoying. Anyone else?

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 2, 2018, 11:51 PM

third complaint, partially itunes but probably mostly latest DRM. I bought some movies for the holidays, advertised as having DIGITAL copies. Of these, 2 were itunes redeemable, 2 were some useless ultraviolet that required some other app (not compatible with ipad1).

For the itunes-compatible ones, in the past, itunes easily redeemed and placed them on an ipad1. These new digital versions were a) 6GB, and b) itunes was not smart enough to make a small version for devices. I couldn't even play them on my desktop as "my monitor was not compatible." WTF? It flat out refused to even try to put it on the old ipad1. Despite me in the past putting movies on with ease.

The ipad air did not have 6GB free, so that effectively meant the movies were only available to stream with wifi... not good for a car ride or a hotel visit with crappy wifi. So what did we do? Brought ye olde portable dvd player and plugged that into the TV.

Useless digital copies, makes me want to go out and find a 300MB mp4 on the shady undercarriage of the internet.

#kidistoooldtokeepwatchingtoystory,bringonguardian softhegalaxy

#oldwomanyellsaticloud

P
Jan 8, 2018, 10:43 AM

4K movies?

What happened was basically this:

* Intel invented HDCP, a format that requires the display to authenticate with the player before the player will play any protected movies. The logic was that any display manufacturer would get a certificate and sign a contract that they would only use it to show content, not record it. If you don't sign, no certificate for you.
* Always happy to inconvenience its customers for a perceived copyright protection benefit, movie studios demanded that HDCP be required for any player that is licensed to play Bluray movies.
* Security researchers discover that HDCP is a joke, and show exactly how it can be broken.
* Intel basically brushes them off.
* Someone uses that research to figure out the master HDCP key, and publish it online.
* Intel says more or less "yeah... but you'd still need a foundry to make a chip that uses it, because it needs to be a dedicated chip to do the handshake before the player times out. I think we're good"
* Rumors that someone programs an FPGA chip to crack HDCP in realtime.
* Somehow, likely using that FPGA chip, someone cracks HDCP copy the video stream from a 4K stream from Netflix
* Movie industry goes bananas
* HDCP 2.2 is invented to solve the hacking problem, but does so by breaking compatibility with older versions.
* Some clever Chinese people crack HDCP 2.2 as well.
* Movie industry basically throws its hands up and decides to go sit in a corner for now.

So... I think that those movies you bought were licensed to Apple on the condition that they would only ever be played on a device that supports HDCP 2.2, and your older iPad doesn't. Sorry, but it isn't really Apple's fault - it is the insane MPAA.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 8, 2018, 07:42 PM

Thanks P.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 9, 2018, 10:00 PM

I always thought the iTunes hate was overwrought, but jesus, after not using it since 10, holy crap have they made it ugly and hidden or removed most of the views I used. The podcasts section is a damned nightmare.

Thorzdad
Jan 10, 2018, 04:09 PM

iTunes, to me, serves as a stark example of what happens when developers take very seriously the notion that they, in all their logical majesty, know what users want and need far better than the users do.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 10, 2018, 06:24 PM

the only thing worse is Photos developers.

Thorzdad
Jan 10, 2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
the only thing worse is Photos developers.
I think the Podcasts devs could give the Photos devs a good run for their money.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 10, 2018, 06:39 PM

Should we make a podcast about wanting to edit our photos in Photoshop?

P
Jan 11, 2018, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
iTunes, to me, serves as a stark example of what happens when developers take very seriously the notion that they, in all their logical majesty, know what users want and need far better than the users do.
Nah. Apple had a music player app, and gradually decided to move everything into it. It got bloated, and someone got the task to clean it up a bit. They removed ancillary things - whether because of what they think or because of statistics or whatever - but those features are not replaced anywhere else. The features were added for a reason, and that reason remains.

Apple needs a store app to buy everything, an iPhone sync app for the corner case when you need to do that, and a media player. They could take iTunes, App Store and Quicktime, throw them all into a blender and make them come out in more reasonable packages - except that iTunes exists on Windows, and they want to keep it one app there.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2018, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I think the Podcasts devs could give the Photos devs a good run for their money.
That was the biggest thing that struck me. Since I got my 6S I shunted my podcast management to my iPhone. When I went into iTunes to do some clean-up for the first time since then, (I got an iPod Touch recently) I was completely confounded by the layout and how to change it. Holy crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules