Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > FTP in Panther

FTP in Panther
Applefreak01
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 06:52 PM

How come I can't upload files from Pather but I can download them. I've checked the settings on my FTP site for the account I'm using and everything looks good.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 07:17 PM

OK, a little confusing.

You're running Panther, using FTP to connect to a FTP site on another computer. Is this correct?

If so, you may run into trouble if you're behind a router or NAT'ed. There are many programs that don't work right (i.e. send out) when behind a router. That's my guess.

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 07:24 PM

Yep I'm running Panther connecting to my ftp hosting site on another remote computer. I can run Transmit and upload/download from the same ftp site with the same ftp account but when I just do it from Panther's built-in Network Browser I can't upload but I can download from the same ftp site with the same ftp account. I was wonder if there was something in Panther I had to setup or change because I don't have Transmit anymore and I wanted a free program to connect to my ftp site so I thought I would use Panthers built-in Network Browser.

I set my IBook's IP address to be the DMZ server on my router and I still can't upload files to my ftp site. I'm sure that port 21 isn't blocked but I'll check again.
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 08:31 PM

I tried it out myself with a friend's FTP server. I can connect with the Finder, but I can only download. It doesn't prompt me for a username/password, and connects anonymously by default.
Now, when I use FTP in the Terminal, all is well.

Do a search of FTP in the Finder, IIRC you can't upload with the Finder.

edit: here's one thread about this.

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 09:01 PM

That's kinda stupid. Be able to connect and download but no upload. I guess I'll have to buy Transmit. Thanks for the help everyone.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 06:35 AM

I ran into this annoying limitation as well. Anyway, its not too big a deal for me (anymore) since I can't rely on the Finder to do huge file transfers. The very thought of a "hiccup" (dropped connection, packet loss, etc) makes me panic and worry too much, since the cancelling the action takes ages.

Mac OS X comes with the wonderful ncftpput/ncftpget tools with the Terminal. They can do non-interactive, batch uploads/downloads, and is very "scriptable."

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
That's kinda stupid. Be able to connect and download but no upload. I guess I'll have to buy Transmit. Thanks for the help everyone.

(looks around thread, finding only myself)

Forum Links
Forum Rules