Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook digital optical out sound?

MacBook digital optical out sound?
Applefreak01
Senior User
Jan 19, 2009, 07:39 PM

Hi. Before i grab my MacBook I just wanted to ask a quick question:

Does the MacBook use a TOSLINK connector for its digital optical out or is there some sort of "adapter" that you need. I use my home theater system as my speakers for everything from my PS3, 360, Wii, TV to my computer. I'm sort of an audiophile, hate listening to cruddy sounding music. Vista or the sound card drivers on my current computer keep losing the settings I have set or the sound will only get sent to the center speaker and or the left/right speakers only. When I had a Mac years ago I used a USB adapter that provided TOSLINK, coaxial and RCA sound outputs. I never had any problems with it and my music sounded great. I still have that adapter although it doesn't work as well under Vista.

Soon as the feds drop some coin into my bank account I'm ordering my MacBook. I can't wait. I'm so excited to becoming back to the Mac!!!
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

ibook_steve
Jan 19, 2009, 09:45 PM

What you need:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

All current Apple portables have optical out built into the miniplug, so you'd need a cable like this or a TOSLINK cable with a miniplug adapter to connect a MacBook to a stereo with optical.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2009, 11:12 PM

Thank you iBook Steve. I thought I would need some sort of adapter. I think I'll give this one a try http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=129&sku=40017 Well done, thanks again.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Forum Links
Forum Rules