Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Fireworks or Photoshop?

Fireworks or Photoshop?
iKwak
Feb 10, 2004, 08:46 AM

I would like to learn either one of the software to build experience.
Looking at the education price for each license, Fireworks is much lower compared to Photoshops...which is a PLUS.

I understand Photoshop is the leader in image editing but Fireworks can do what Photoshop does, right?
Which would you personally recommend out of the two? And why?
I doubt I have time to learn both program and once I start, I would like to remain with that program.

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 09:55 AM

personally don't use fireworks. pshop is the standard. i would buy pshop.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 01:38 PM

what art_director said. fireworks and photoshop are entirely different beasts with entirely different purposes.

siliconwarrior
Feb 11, 2004, 04:27 PM

Please don't use software just because it's the standard (ahem, Quark). Both these apps are available as free demos, I suggest you try before you buy.

However, IMO, you can't beat the Shop, the Shop rocks.
Silicon-Age Warrior

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 06:06 PM

again, both of them have different purposes. Its not a matter of standards, its what you plan on doing with them.

iKwak  (op)
Feb 13, 2004, 12:11 AM

I opted for Studio MX as it met my purpose.

For tutorial books, which publisher would you recommend? http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...6Q&cds2Pid=946

velodev
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
again, both of them have different purposes. Its not a matter of standards, its what you plan on doing with them.
This is completely valid point, HOWEVER Imageready is bundled with Photoshop so looks like you just covered both angles - photo manipulation and web-ready imaging.

Go Photoshop... hell, go CS. Since this will be your first version, try the demo of CS (if there is one) and find out which meets your needs.

Basically, fireworks has a complex interface with the sidebars and property tables and the exporting of optimized images (I remember these being my issues when I first tackled it). I remember numerous times trying to use it and then just gave up only to use Photoshop.

I use CS, and have been using PS since v2.

skalie
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by iKwak:
I opted for Studio MX as it met my purpose.
Which is?

cowerd
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 10:30 AM

This is completely valid point, HOWEVER Imageready is bundled with Photoshop so looks like you just covered both angles - photo manipulation and web-ready imaging.
ImageReady is an ugly hack, and tends to produce larger web ready images of lesser quality than Fireworks (in almost every web format). Fireworks for web work, PS for everything else.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Thor
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 11:18 AM

ImageReady is an ugly hack, and tends to produce larger web ready images of lesser quality than Fireworks (in almost every web format). Fireworks for web work, PS for everything else.
^^^^^ Agreed. (Photoshop user since v1.0, FW user since 1.0)

velodev
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by cowerd:
Wow, you sure you know how to use it? I mean, it may be true Fireworks has better compression algorithms but I would never consider it an ugly hack. Sometimes it seems too "entry-level" but not an ugly hack.

velodev
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 12:18 PM

Also, not to get into a flame war but the guy's initial post seemed like he was leaning towards ONE product to satisfy his needs. Hence, fireworks vs. photoshop. I just looked on the bright side and noted that you get two apps within photoshop.

Later in the post, he mentioned he bought Studio MX which was never brought up as an option.

hostvisions
Feb 13, 2004, 01:25 PM

Fireworks is for web-image work only. Photoshop does that and then some. Pick accordingly.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 03:59 PM

I'm just posting this for posterity.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 04:01 PM

thats ********. Photoshop used to produce slightly larger images because it put all kinds of photoshop specific data into the file, but not anymore. They both put out the same files, at the same size, in the same formats.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by hostvisions:
Fireworks is for web-image work only. Photoshop does that and then some. Pick accordingly.
Bull.

I have both of them and switch between them
as I have found features in FW that I wish were
in photoshop. Whatever is more efficient for
the task at hand.

Get them BOTH.

"Fireworks is for web-image work only."

Great advice. (not)

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 04:11 PM

well its for 72 dpi work only, after that it bogs down and dies.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2004, 04:26 PM

well its for 72 dpi work only, after that it bogs down and dies.
DPI is irrelevent.

http://www.nicholsonprints.com/Articles/dpi.htm

http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec122103.html

http://www.ekdahl.org/test_dpi/test2dpi.htm

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 06:55 PM

oh ffs you know I meant screen vs print.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2004, 07:28 PM

oh ffs you know I meant screen vs print.
Of course I do.

frownyfrank
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2004, 09:27 AM

I really like Fireworks. It's much more focused on web design and I think it's easier and quicker to develop with, mainly because of the nice built-in vector tools. With Photoshop, there's always the need to swap between two apps, Freehand or Illustrator, and import into Photoshop.

But then once you've drawn everything you need to draw, Photoshop is better for finishing. Exporting in PS or Imageready I think is still weaker than Fireworks (like how you can't select more than one slice in PS until you export), but once all you're dealing with is bitmaps, it is indeed superior.

I'm waiting until either Firework's bitmap functions improve to rival Photoshop, or Adobe adds some real vector tools to Photoshop before I can live with just one app. I doubt either will happen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules