Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Horrible buzzing sound coming from combo-drive.

Horrible buzzing sound coming from combo-drive.
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 09:35 AM

i have loved my 15" 1.25 pb for months now. i sent it back for the ws problem, but got new screen. that wasn't too bad. just now though, it simply shut down, and restarted. weird, but whatever. then, i insert a disc to burn, and things go ok until about halfway through the burn. then, it sounds like a small helicopter might burst forth from the combo drive at any moment. seriously, it sounded heinous. really bad vibration. so, it's late and i'm tired. can anyone give me the scoop on what just happened? thanks.
15 inches of aluminum fury

Allenzi35
Mar 10, 2004, 06:24 PM

this happend to me more than once, and it sounds just like you said. i dont have any idea why it does this to me at random. it's like something is scraping the disk while it's spinning.

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2004, 09:10 PM

has it ever caused a problem with the disc you're burning? and is it only when you're burning? this is the first time it's happened to me...so it kinda surprised me.

Allenzi35
Mar 12, 2004, 12:55 AM

i dont think it has ever happened while burning a disk. it has happened while trying to read certain cds and dvds. it wont read the disk until i put a different disk in and then put that one back in. sound like something is scraping the disk but there is never any marks on the disk.

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2004, 10:56 PM

yes, it sounds aweful. and the audio cd i burned skips now on a lot of the songs. not a good thing, because you never know when it's going to happen.

Rupert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
i have loved my 15" 1.25 pb for months now. i sent it back for the ws problem, but got new screen. that wasn't too bad. just now though, it simply shut down, and restarted. weird, but whatever. then, i insert a disc to burn, and things go ok until about halfway through the burn. then, it sounds like a small helicopter might burst forth from the combo drive at any moment. seriously, it sounded heinous. really bad vibration. so, it's late and i'm tired. can anyone give me the scoop on what just happened? thanks.
I have the same problem with my 12" pb. Posted question 9 March, but never got any response. If you find any cause or fix would appreciate help with my problem also.

rupert

kaymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
then, i insert a disc to burn, and things go ok until about halfway through the burn. then, it sounds like a small helicopter might burst forth from the combo drive at any moment. seriously, it sounded heinous.
Are you using Toast to do the burn by any chance? I was doing my first burn in the combo drive this weekend and noticed the same horrible vibration using Toast. My bud - also with a 12" AlPB - had the same thing happen on his machine. Then I did a burn using Disk Utility and...no vibration.

In our case, I think it's an issue with how Toast is addressing the drive...

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 12:11 AM

Rupert, sorry to hear you've had the problem too. this forum is full of clever people, i'm guessing that someone will be able to shed some light on things.

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 12:13 AM

kaymac, nope i was using disk utility. don't have toast. it hasn't done it since i posted this though...2 cds later.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 01:32 AM

This happens to me every once in a while during normal CD use (ripping, listening). I was scared as sh*t the first time I heard it, but the buzzsawing always fades away after about 3 or 4 seconds and things calm down. When it happens, it's almost as if the CD went in a little crooked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules