Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > To everyone who wants a "Shelf" in the finder

To everyone who wants a "Shelf" in the finder
RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 06:59 AM

Ok this was just pointed out to me, and i didn't know about it, and i spend way too much time reading forums, so im hoping ive just not missed it before.

Everyone's always wanting a shelf in the finder, well we have one, in the dock.

Dont know if its common knowledge, and that ive been under a rock a while, but you can command drag stuff out of the dock, and it will actually move the file, not remove it from the dock.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2004, 07:07 AM

wow, I've been using OS X since the public beta, and that is new to me. Cheers.
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2004, 08:04 AM

Indeed.

Thanks for the hint.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 08:17 AM

I find this particularly useful when I want to open a running app's AppleScript Dictionary - just command-drag the app's dock icon over to Script Editor's Icon.

Hmm - Text dragged from text edit doesn't seem to want to be dragged into the dock.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 09:51 AM

I didn't know this. However, it doesn't move the file, but makes a copy and the dock then points to that copy.

RevEvs  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I didn't know this. However, it doesn't move the file, but makes a copy and the dock then points to that copy.
It moves the file on my computer. Just tested it now

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:

Were you dragging between volumes (the icon in the Dock is on one volume, the destination to which you command-dragged its icon is on another volume)? That would, by default, make a copy. Otherwise it should move the file.
( Last edited by Oneota; Apr 17, 2004 at 10:34 AM. )
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 12:07 PM

New to me, you can do some pretty cool stuff with the command and option keys, for example when you option-click a folder it closes the current window...

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by RevEvs:
Ok this was just pointed out to me, and i didn't know about it, and i spend way too much time reading forums, so im hoping ive just not missed it before.

Everyone's always wanting a shelf in the finder, well we have one, in the dock.

Dont know if its common knowledge, and that ive been under a rock a while, but you can command drag stuff out of the dock, and it will actually move the file, not remove it from the dock.

revs
Wow. How long has it been now, nearly three years on OS X, and I learn a new thing every other day.

I also use Quicksilver's shelf funtionality, which truly rocks (as well as other QS features).

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 01:22 PM

Wow, count me in the "Learned somethin' new today" crowd, despite having plenty of experience with OS X and visiting MacOSXHints religiously for the past year or so.

Many thanks for that!

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
New to me, you can do some pretty cool stuff with the command and option keys, for example when you option-click a folder it closes the current window...
When you option-click anything outside of a program it'll hide that program. What do you mean by closing the current window?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2004, 01:51 PM

That has got to be one of the coolest OS X tricks I've learned about in some time. Thanks!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 01:51 PM

Just trrashed my mail, any idea how to get it back

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Photo678:
Just trrashed my mail, any idea how to get it back
Do you mean the Mail application? If so, funny you should ask that right as I come here - check out Pacifist (link in my sig). You can use it to extract Mail from the OS X install CD's.

If you're referring to your mailboxes with your archived messages in them, though, I'm not sure there's much you can do except restore from backup if you have one...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 01:58 PM

Thanks for that

Just a heads up to people thought, if you command drag something from the dock it must moves the program to the desktop or whereever. do not delete it as it is the actual program.

I command dragged my mail from the dock to the desktop, then deleted it as i thought it was just a copy, and now, no mail

So just a heads up

Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 02:02 PM

What happened to the "piles" thing that was popularized on these forums?

kovacs
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by saranwarp:
When you option-click anything outside of a program it'll hide that program. What do you mean by closing the current window?
When you open a folder in the finder in non-brushed mode ( OS 9 mode, use the little widget on the right ) you can option-click it's contents ( folders and files ), this will close the original folder and open the new one in a new window...

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 02:08 PM

There's also xshelf which is pretty cool.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Photo678:
Thanks for that

Just a heads up to people thought, if you command drag something from the dock it must moves the program to the desktop or whereever. do not delete it as it is the actual program.

I command dragged my mail from the dock to the desktop, then deleted it as i thought it was just a copy, and now, no mail

So just a heads up
Ah, okay. My program will definitely be able to help you with that.

zachs
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 09:46 PM

Very, very cool. And, FYI, you can Command-Option-Drag to create an alias.

barbarian
Senior User
Apr 18, 2004, 08:42 PM

As cool as this is, I still prefer Pathfinder's shelf... I've gotten into the habit of switching to pathfinder any time I have to do intensive file organization...Once you get hooked you won't want to go back.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Dex13:
What happened to the "piles" thing that was popularized on these forums?
Well, thanks to the cream and the special cussion, they've pretty much cleared up and are much better now. Thanks for asking.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2004, 07:36 AM

Cool.

I'd still like to have back the spatial OS 9 Finder. Can I option click me somehow to it?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by kovacs:
When you open a folder in the finder in non-brushed mode ( OS 9 mode, use the little widget on the right ) you can option-click it's contents ( folders and files ), this will close the original folder and open the new one in a new window...
And Cmd-clicking on a folder in brushed mode will do the same.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I'd still like to have back the spatial OS 9 Finder. Can I option click me somehow to it?
In the Finder Preferences enable all volumes on the desktop and the option to open folders in new windows.
Open the first volume and set the window to Mac OS 9 mode - hide the toolbar. Close the window.
Now do the same with all other volumes and all folders in the Dock or on the Desktop.

Now opening a folder will create a new window. The new window will have the same "Mac OS 9 style" like the parent window (that's why all directly opened windows have to be configured individually). You will get the same windows clutter like in Mac OS 9 unless you hold the option key while double clicking the folder.

PS: holding the command key while double clicking a folder will open the folder in a new window (in brushed metal mode or if "open folder in same window" is activated).

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by Zadian:
You will get the same windows clutter like in Mac OS 9 unless you hold the option key while double clicking the folder.
You get the same clutter as in OS 9, but it's not a spatial Finder. It's a spatial Finder look-alike.

See this thread for discussion.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

barbarian
Senior User
Apr 19, 2004, 03:00 PM

>I'd still like to have back the spatial OS 9 Finder. Can I option click me somehow to it?

While in folder view, just click on the horizontal "pill" button on the right top edge of every finder window... and presto... the spatial finder is back.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2004, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
You get the same clutter as in OS 9, but it's not a spatial Finder. It's a spatial Finder look-alike.
Hm, I had the impression that it's just like Mac OS 9 - unless you use the column view.
Oh, and since you could open two windows with the same folder, that would be a non spatial behavior - but then, why should somebody do that if he wants to use a spatial finder?

I will read the thread - never really tried it for very long, as i don't care about a spatial finder. (I don't want to start a flame war about that).

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Well, thanks to the cream and the special cussion, they've pretty much cleared up and are much better now. Thanks for asking.

signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules