Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just picked up a G3 400/1mb cache/64mb/6gb :)

Just picked up a G3 400/1mb cache/64mb/6gb :)
Blizzake
Forum Regular
May 18, 2008, 10:22 PM

And shes MINT! with firewire

still waiting for her to charge so i can turn it on. Trying to figure out a few things and what it can do.

After looking on ebay, it seems people are running Panther, so i guess that the newest OS it will run.

Crucial says it will hold a GIG of ram? doesnt sound right.

there is a pc card slot, what wifi car will work with it?

tyring to set this up as an extra home computer.

thanks guys
C2D Blackbook Week 44

amazing
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 11:10 PM

The Pismo will go unassisted to 10.4.11, but with some finagling you should be able to get Leopard on it. Pretty sprightly, but more in the sedate class, speed-wise. Definitely useable for most common stuff.

It will only take 1 GB of RAM. Mactracker is your friend (check on versiontracker.com). Any wireless card using a Broadcom chip should work,

PCMCIA Expansion Cards (FireWire, USB, Wireless, and More) at OtherWorldComputing.com

Quite awhile ago, I found one at target.com (of all places) for $25 so if you know what you're looking at, you can find deals...but be sure it's got a good return policy.

Blizzake  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2008, 11:15 PM

wiki said it will accept an airport card, so for the extra few bucks ill just do it correctly.

what kind of finagling is needed for leopard? where can i get directions that will get me thru the issues.

its basically going to be an extra computer to browse the internet on and possibly some office work.

its charging now but nothing is lighting up. my buddy said nothing will light up untill its on.

im antsy and cant wait
C2D Blackbook Week 44

jwpacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2008, 11:25 PM

That's a fantastic little 'living room' computer you got there. How much did it set you back?

I'm going to be combing the local garage sales this summer for something similar, just to play with.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 11:46 PM

oops, I thought LeopardAssist worked on the Pismo, but it needs a G4. Ah, drats...

LeopardAssist 1.2 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

Well, you're gonna want a larger HD, most assuredly, so I'm thinking that putting that in a firewire external case and using your other laptop to install Leopard on it, then checking to see if the Pismo will startup off that external firewire drive, maybe that would do it?

In any case, going with 10.4.11 is also great.

I'm trying to remember if the Pismo would startup is the internal PRAM backup battery was dead? From the ifixit.com directions, you might have to disconnect the cable for it to start up, but I don't have any direct experience with whether that's so:

PowerBook G3 Pismo Disassembly: PowerBook Parts

Blizzake  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2008, 11:50 PM

thanks for the info guys.

the laptop was free from a friend that has had it for years. he knows im a computer fan so he gave it to a good cause. he has a g5 imac and a macbook so its no longer in use. its been sitting for over a year he said.

its been charging for 2 hours and nothing yet. with or without the power plug nothing lights up. the battery is cold and the power meter on the battery is not showing anything.

hmm.

edit, i have a 40gb drive to put in it, then ill buy some ram once it works

is the pram battery like a bios battery? disconnect the pram battery and try to boot it?
C2D Blackbook Week 44

amazing
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 11:56 PM

I just picked up a 250 GB HD at zipzoomfly.com for my 12" PB ($104), truly an expansive experience to have room for loads of music and stuff. This thing is now my iTunes jukebox, wherever I go!

WESTERN DIGITAL Scorpio WD2500BEVE 250GB WD2500BEVE 250GB PATA/IDE 5400 RPM 8MB Buffer Mobile Hard at ZipZoomfly

And now I'm racking with brain and yet can't remember (and that's the problem with wracked brains) whether there's not some ridiculous restriction on acknowledging HDs over 120 GB? don't think there is, but hopefully someone can confirm that?

amazing
Professional Poster
May 18, 2008, 11:57 PM

The ifixit instructions seem to indicate that the Pismo will boot after disconnecting the PRAM cable?

Blizzake  (op)
Forum Regular
May 19, 2008, 12:02 AM

update. pulled the battery, started right up.

its fast with os9.1 im amazed.

now to order up parts
C2D Blackbook Week 44

Blizzake  (op)
Forum Regular
May 19, 2008, 12:26 AM

ordered battery, gig of ram, now searching for an airport card.
C2D Blackbook Week 44

Blizzake  (op)
Forum Regular
May 19, 2008, 06:07 PM

airport card found.

the battery wont register a charge on the computer or the battery light. i wonder if the pram battery has anything to do with it
C2D Blackbook Week 44

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2008, 07:47 PM

I've had my pismo since 2000, when I got it for college. Putting a 5400 rpm 40 GB did wonders for extending it's useful life. The only thing that the Pismo can't do is flash video, like youtube. Otherwise it is a great road warrior for me with a battery in each slot it can go all day without needing a plug.

Have you tried resetting it using the reset button on the back. That has fixed battery charging issues for me. Also, if you have two batteries and one is dead, the other will not charge either.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Blizzake  (op)
Forum Regular
May 21, 2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by tinkered View Post
I've had my pismo since 2000, when I got it for college. Putting a 5400 rpm 40 GB did wonders for extending it's useful life. The only thing that the Pismo can't do is flash video, like youtube. Otherwise it is a great road warrior for me with a battery in each slot it can go all day without needing a plug.

Have you tried resetting it using the reset button on the back. That has fixed battery charging issues for me. Also, if you have two batteries and one is dead, the other will not charge either.
even with tiger it wont do youtube?
C2D Blackbook Week 44

Forum Links
Forum Rules