Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Selling my G3 iMac, now what?

Selling my G3 iMac, now what?
zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2002, 10:44 PM

First of all, how do I reset or delete my administrator identity from my machine so the new owner can create his own?

I'm deciding on purchasing an iBook or should I get the flat panel iMac? Decisions, decisions.....

I use my machine mostly for surfing, email, iPhoto, iMovie, and iTunes....I think the iBook can do the job, especially equipped with a G3 800, 256 ram, 30 GB, combo and new 32 mb video card. Comments?
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2002, 10:55 PM

Do a clean install from the CD, that's what I did before selling my iMac. May be you should run a zero-data format as well.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2002, 12:52 AM

Unless you really need the portability, the iMac is a much better choice, IMHO! First, it's a G4, which means in a year from now, when you want to buy software, it's more likely to say you need a G4 to run the software. Jaguar runs better on a G4, the screen is much nicer on the iMac, you can burn DVDs on the iMac 800, on and on and on.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Unless you really need the portability, the iMac is a much better choice, IMHO! First, it's a G4, which means in a year from now, when you want to buy software, it's more likely to say you need a G4 to run the software. Jaguar runs better on a G4, the screen is much nicer on the iMac, you can burn DVDs on the iMac 800, on and on and on.
it's a G3 iMac.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by gumby5647:

it's a G3 iMac.
Yes, but that's the one zolagol is thinking of selling and considering replacing with a flat panel iMac or an ibook.

Oh no that sounds like a flame I did not mean to be horrid......

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2002, 08:55 PM

I'm also selling my G3 iMac but I'm buying a new iBook without question.
I'm planning to just do a clean install of OS 9.2 and then put 10.1 on it. Pretty easy as long as you include those discs with the mac when you sell.

ps - if anyones interested in buying my machine lemme know, 400 DV 1GB ram 10GB harddrive.

Cipher13
Nov 17, 2002, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Will C:

Yes, but that's the one zolagol is thinking of selling and considering replacing with a flat panel iMac or an ibook.

Oh no that sounds like a flame I did not mean to be horrid......
That sounded like a flame??? I thought it was very nice and polite...

You need to hang out in the Lounge more often

Hehee.

I'd go for the iBook. It doesn't sound like you need amazing speed or a DVD burner, nor a massive screen; and the portability is an amzing plus (for me, at least, I'm not sure about you).

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2002, 03:02 PM

I love my iBook. I never had a portable before this and it really is life-changing to be able to carry your computer around wherever you go instead of being tied to a desk.

As for OS X, I'm selling my iBook this week to buy a faster one. I'm going to go for a clean reinstall of Jaguar. However, when you do a clean install, the installer wants to reboot the machine immediately after the installation is complete. When you click the restart button, wait for the machine to shut down and then before it reboots, turn off the power. That way, whoever buys your machine will turn it on and get the OS X welcome screen and setup assistant. The only downside is that the new buyer will have to then apply Apple's updates to get to 10.2.2. If you are kind you will supply the updaters on CD.

Since I have an external hard drive. I'll reboot from the external drive and update the system and applications to the current versions. Then I'll reset the internal drive as the startup drive before shutting down. My buyer will turn on the machine and see the welcome screen, but will not have to apply any updates.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules