Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Palm Tungsten T5, Tungsten C, or Pocket PC??

Palm Tungsten T5, Tungsten C, or Pocket PC??
egghead
Apr 16, 2005, 08:38 PM

Hi,

I've been needing to get a handheld to take on trips when a laptop is too big and bulky. The main issue is to have something that is WiFi capable.

I was considering getting the T5 + WiFi card from Palm. I looked at one at the store, and the screen seems awfully dim to me. I'm also worried about losing the WiFi card, as it is external and has to be stored separately when it's not in use.

The other options are the old Tungsten C (built in WiFi) but it's old and bulky and quite expensive compared to the T5 combo, or something running Pocket PC (iPAQ or Dell) and use the Missing Sync workaround for connectivity with my Mac at home. Has any body tried to do this?

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Nike

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2005, 02:04 PM

I used the Pocket PC for quite a while using PocketMac. Version 4 fixed most of the issues that were a major problem in the past. Never really had any problem with it other than being a little flaky sometimes with the information it synced. It would sometimes make duplucates. Later updates solved this more and more.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 09:59 PM

What are you going to be using the device for? I'm partial to Palm devices, but depending on your needs, a PPC may be a better choice. I think the T5 would be a better value for a Palm device. Did you adjust its brightness up when you were in the store?

galarneau
Senior User
Apr 18, 2005, 10:57 PM

If you're looking for WiFi, PPC devices are a better deal than Palm's.

I would prefer to have a Palm, however, as bluetooth connections to a bluetooth cell phone is all the connectivity I need.

You mentioned wanting to use the handheld when taking a laptop is too big and bulky. What exactly do you want the handheld to do? Replace the laptop? For what purpose? If you're honest and realistic with yourself as to what you are going to actually do with the handheld, picking a model is pretty straightforward.

IMHO, using a handheld to replace a laptop is an exercise in futility. At best you can check your email and look at some simple web pages.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 05:56 AM

Depends on how long you can wait around before getting one, but there is a Wifi Palm with a hard drive on the way, called Life Drive or Tungsten X, depending where you look.

Bluetooth, Wifi, 4Gb Drive, 64Mb RAM, 320x480 screen, 416 MHz Intel XScale. $499

It is apparently as thick as 2 T5's though ("Is that a lifedrive in your pocket or...")

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 12:35 AM

I had tungsten c for a while, and after the novelty of the WiFi and keyboard wore off, it became a bit of a disappointment. I find it to be too big and too limited in functionality. Add to that that they haven't updated it in ~2 years, it's not a great product.

I prefer almost everything about Palm to PocketPC, and I love my Treo, but if you are looking for something approximating a laptop replacement, I really think you are better off with a PcoketPC. They can be flakey and downright frustrating, but they are much more of a "hand-held computer" as opposed to a PDA, where Palm excels.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 10:27 PM

I second that. I have an iPaq 1945 and a wireless keyboard and it really does work well as a laptop replacement for light duty (word processing and email). The only problem with it on the Mac end is syncing, since you have to lay out $$ for pocketmac or the missing sync.

With that said, my wife's T5 is sweeeeet, and I'm thinking of replacing my ipaq with a T5 simply because the Mac integration is superior.

Wifi on a handheld still leaves a lot to be desired, and those cards EAT battery life.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 10:24 AM

I've got a Treo 650 if you want the cell phone also. It's not much more than the T5. I'm thrilled with it.

Keep in mind though ... no WiFi ... there are hacks for a WiFi card, but they are not officially supported. It does have cellular connectivity though and with Sprint it's $15 for unlimited data.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2005, 10:14 PM

just got my treo 650....phone, calendar, web, email, cam, video, and mp3 player....all in ONE!....

awesome.....just awesome....!!!
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 12:22 AM

Congratulations!

Which carrier did you go with? Sprint? Verizon? Cingular?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2005, 03:05 AM

I love my Treo 600. I'd never pay it's suggested list price (as a phone it's just standard, as a Palm it's not more than a Tungsten E, and the camera sucks beyond imagination), but I got a barely used one on ebay for about a third of the original price. Great deal, great gadget.

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2005, 03:29 PM

to expect to use the camera on any phone as a digital cam is not very practical...i don't even use my treo cam as my secondary...it's my "silly fun spur of the moment picture taker"......

driven, my carrier is Rogers Wireless....
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 05:38 PM

The camera on the Treo 650 is light years ahead of the one on the 600. It takes pretty nice pictures considering it's a camera phone.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2005, 06:55 PM

Get the life drive that comes out tomorrow.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

outsourced
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 01:09 PM

PocketPC. It has handwriting recognition so you don't have to learn how to write all over again.

I had a Palm once -- it just sat in the drawer. And it was mainly because of Graffiti.

Of course, I keep comparing these devices to the Newton MessagePad -- today nothing even comes close.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by outsourced
PocketPC. It has handwriting recognition so you don't have to learn how to write all over again.
Ya and we all know how well that works.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

outsourced
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Ya and we all know how well that works.
Well, at least it's available. But, then again, keyboard is probably the best input method anyway -- at least until voice recognition is available.
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 11:47 PM

I've never had good luck at all syncing a PocketPC with my Mac. I've tried both MissingSync and PocketMac, each sucked in it's own unique way.

ActiveSync is hands down, the WORST sync architecture I've ever worked with.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2005, 04:33 AM

ActiveSync sucks equally bad on the PC platform. :-)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules