Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Best video format to publish on a web site?

Best video format to publish on a web site?
zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2005, 10:11 PM

What is the best video format one should use to publish video on a web site like .Mac's Homepage? I tried publishing .mov, but it's way too big for the 125MB limit I have. What format occupies less memory? Thanks.
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 11:24 PM

actually, for publishing to web, you'll wnat to have multiple formats--some use QT plugin, some use WMP plugin, others use RM plugin... those are the only 3 i would bother with...

You say MOV was too big, but from what I understand MOV is just a container... try compressing it more or using a different codec. or something like that. I'm not sure you you'll get avi or real media, but im sure its possible, and if you can do it cheaply it would definately add to the site useability

best of luck

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2005, 02:21 AM

to add what loki said:
any compressor within a .mov wrapper will ask the user to install the free QTplayer… many windows users are, for no reason, afraid to do so… and any compressor within an .avi container can result in trouble with Mac users, some .avis are opened by QTplayer, some ask for installing the WindowmediaPlayer for Mac…

publishing video on the net is … tricky, because we need much compression but don't want to lack quality.

so, settings are important…

choose a codec - sorenson is popular, mpeg1 is very old, but distributed, divx is wellknown in all OSs (but need the installing of a free plugin in every player), mpeg4 is state-of-the-art

frames per second - 30/25fps is television, but 15fps is good enough for webvideo
size - how much detail you need? it doesn't need full dv, how about 150x200?
audio - do you need audio? make it mono, use small bandwith (<11KHz)

For quality reasons, I would use mpeg4… you can create a "pure" file with QTpro, meaning, you get a .mp4 WITHOUT any container, which should be opened with ANY player (winamp/qt)

.rm (realmedia) is expansive in making and is proprietary, it can be playbacked with RMplayer only…

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 02:44 AM

yes i hate rm. but for SOME reason, people still use it...

k_munich is right; getting it w/o wrapper would actually be the best it think

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

zolagol  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 07:21 AM

thanks for the quick responses....much appreciated...
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

tokamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 08:53 AM

The other (better?) way to do, is importing your uncompressed movie into Macromedia Flash, and compress it thanks to the integrated Sorenson video codec. Because the ouput file format will be .swf, it will play through the Flash Player plugin, which is already installed for > 96 % users, compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules