Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > New 1ghz imac for photo work?

New 1ghz imac for photo work?
ph0ust
Senior User
Feb 4, 2003, 08:07 PM

hi there. i posted a question in the imac forum. any feedback is appreciated... thanks.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=144337

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by ph0ust:
hi there. i posted a question in the imac forum. any feedback is appreciated... thanks.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=144337
it all depends on:

a. the size files you'll be workling with
b. is your ps work time sensitive?
c. how color accurate do you need your screen to be?

---

careful about the advice you got on the imac board. one person is a ps elements user. the other talks about "daily photo work". if you're a pro user those are not people to listen to. if you're just doing your own thing at home for fun then they may well be right.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by art_director:
it all depends on:

a. the size files you'll be workling with
b. is your ps work time sensitive?
c. how color accurate do you need your screen to be?

---

careful about the advice you got on the imac board. one person is a ps elements user. the other talks about "daily photo work". if you're a pro user those are not people to listen to. if you're just doing your own thing at home for fun then they may well be right.
thanks. i am an advanced amateur working primarily with large raw files (i.e. 30-40 mb) or high quality jpeg, and doing a lot of individual file manipulation with filters, color adjustment, etc. i don't really do any batch work now. i do want the color accuracy to be good; the new imac screens, i believe, are from their new vendor (same as the 17" powerbook) which i hear are "good".

i know the best set up would be too get a powermac with an acd, but the price and update issues are holding me back on that (i would rather spend the money on new camera gear

any other advice regarding these new machines considering what i have said?

art_director
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by ph0ust:
any other advice regarding these new machines considering what i have said?
the imacs, old flat screen or new, are GREAT machines. there you can't go wrong. if you're not doing work on deadlines, you're not working with 200MB files and you aren't too worried about the screen's color accuracy i'd save yourself some cash and get the 17" imac. heck, they were even discounted yesterday.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by art_director:
if you're not doing work on deadlines, you're not working with 200MB files and you aren't too worried about the screen's color accuracy i'd save yourself some cash and get the 17" imac.
what are the issues with color accuracy? if it is anything significant it would be of concern, as it is quite hard to apply changes and tweaks to photos when you have bad color rendering...

btw, i really appreciate your input, it helps a lot. thanks!
( Last edited by ph0ust; Feb 5, 2003 at 08:04 PM. )

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 08:15 AM

LCD's have notoriously bad color accuracy. (that is, with regards to outputting to print or web)

RenaissanceGirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
LCD's have notoriously bad color accuracy. (that is, with regards to outputting to print or web)
I was thinking the same thing. Before I got my iMac, I researched into buying an LCD monitor. A lot of reviews concurred that LCDs are not accurate with color. That was a while back, I wasn't sure if this still held true.

I print photos frequently using my FP iMac and Canon S820. The printed photos tend to look much darker than depicted on the screen. I have made up for that now by lightening up the pictures before printing. Professionals, aspiring or established, might require something with a little more control.

That's just my experience though. I hope this helps.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2003, 06:41 PM

thanks all. this helps. i think i will likely get an imac in the near future... and wait with anticipation until the powermacs get their much needed architecture upgrade.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 12:42 PM

Yeah, I was having problems getting accurate prints with Photoshop on my 15" lcd until I downloaded Supercal (monitor calibration program) from Versiontracker and used the techniques for accurate Photoshop color printing sugggested at:
http://www.colorremedies.com/library.html
- Now all is well and I'm getting prints that are not too dark and the color accuracy is excellent!

Forum Links
Forum Rules