Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Power Connector busted, my options...?

Power Connector busted, my options...?
RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 09:38 AM

ok, so my power cord for my iBook finally got too old and broke..... leaving the tip of it inside the iBook!!

Just tried using a new power cord, but nope, it doesnt get picked up, so in an hour my laptp will be a paperweight (again!).

Ive had the backlight go, out of warranty, that cost me �400+, then the HD went, but i replaced that myself, so that was �100, and I dont really want to spend even more �� on keeping this iBook (Dual USB 500) going.

The only broken bit is the power conenctor on the iBook mobo, but im guessing Apple will want to replace the whole motherboard?

So my options:

How much does a new mobo from apple cost?

Buy a mobo from somewhere else? (ebay or other)

A refurb iBook probably is close to the same price? The refurb UK store is closed, any idea what price the iBooks there are? If they are only 100 or 200 more than a mobo it might be worth getting one instead?

Anyone with an old mobo, could i solder the power socket off that and put it onto my ibook?
If the powersocket standard? could i get it from a Electronics magazine?

Any other ideas welcomed.

I love my iBook - it just breaks on me too much!

revs.
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

RevEvs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 10:22 AM

OK, being as its just the Power connector on the mobo, I was thinkig that i could just get a similar powerconnector from an electronics magazine and then solder that in its place.

As long as its the same pinout and the right voltages etc then it'll work right?

Sure i might have to cut a bigger hole or something in the iBook, or use a diffrent power lead, but should be ok?

revs

RevEvs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 12:52 PM

ok, i just got the service manual.

Seems the iBook DC input is seperate and replaceable.

So where can i get one? (for the UK)

cheers

RevEvs  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 01:04 PM

Sorry to make a thread consisting of me me me

Anyway, for reference to anyone in future - http://applemacparts.com/ has all the parts, and is based in the UK.

revs

Worked out cheaper than i expected too - �31 for the DC board, and then �50odd for a new apple power cord for the iBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules