Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dasani water withdrawn after 1 month in the UK... All bottles recalled!

Dasani water withdrawn after 1 month in the UK... All bottles recalled!
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 08:26 AM

Didn't even have a chance to try it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3523303.stm

Despite the fact that Coca Cola was selling merely water from the tap, with a mark up of 3000%, they still couldn't get it right and released water laced with bromide to the public!

Dasani, RIP.

derbs
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 08:31 AM

bwhaha! I couldn't believe the BBC article when I read it. Whose moronic idea was it to come up with that?

You got any more info on the recall?

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by derbs:
bwhaha! I couldn't believe the BBC article when I read it. Whose moronic idea was it to come up with that?

You got any more info on the recall?
It is breaking news now on the radio, so should be on the internet soon.

The BBC reports that the water 'cleaning' process puts chemicals into the tap water to clear out the chemicals such as chlorine already in there... The main additive is Bromide, which was not properly filtered out afterwards on all water produced so far!

They have sold 500,000 bottles that have all to be recalled due to excess bromide levels.

In the face of such a debacle, and also marketing issues where retailers have been ordered not to stock other brands of water in the same chiller cabinets as Dasani, it has been withdrawn from sale for good...

(There was a really dodgy TV show over here called 'Only Fools and Horses' where the main character (Del Boy) bottles tap water and sells it as 'Peckham Springs' mineral water... only to find it radioactive. Dasani is made in Sidcup, right next to Peckham so this debacle is being seen as a total comedy scenario...)

derbs
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 08:45 AM

Ha! This just gets better! I remember the Peckham Spring episode

I just hope bromide isn't dangerous...

derbs
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
There was a really dodgy TV show over here called 'Only Fools and Horses'
Dodgy!? Only Fools and Horses was bloody brilliant!

derbs
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 08:48 AM

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 08:49 AM

I always wondered why people buy bottled tap water anyway.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

The Placid Casual  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 08:51 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3550063.stm

Apparently it is bromate and not bromide as first reported on the radio...

Bromate is a non-metallic salt that can be found in drinking water as a by-product of certain water purification processes.

The UK limit for bromate in bottled and tap water is 10 parts per billion, while the Dasani samples had tested between 10 and 22 parts per billions, Reuters reported.

European tap water limits for bromate are less stringent at 25 parts per billion.

Bromate is considered to be a potential carcinogen.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 08:52 AM

It's never been any secret that Dasani is basically tap water. The same is true of Aquafina, the Pepsi counterpart. If people will pay for it, knowing what it is, then what's the big deal? However, contrary to the company's statement, neither of these brands is "as pure as water can get"; that honor would go to distilled water. However, most people don't like the taste -or rather, the lack of taste- of distilled water, which is why you only see it in the context of cleaning or chemical supplies, rather than bottled for drinking.

It's worth noting that a few months ago, Maryland's water commission ran their water-purity tests -the same ones they run on their own tap water- on a bunch of different brands of bottled water. Dasani and Aquafina were the only brands that passed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 09:00 AM

My take is that if you live in a place where you have an unlimited supply of drinkable water, you should drink it, filter it if you like. Otherwise support your local bottled spring water.

After traveling through countries where you had to boil your water, or purify it with tablets, or find some reliable sealed bottled water, it's sooooo nice to be able to just stick your mouth to the faucet.

Adopt-A-Yankee

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2004, 09:23 AM

I've always been under the impression that the water is clean and goes through the same process that the water used in Coke goes through (water is very inconsistent, so they purify it to have a consistent tasting Coke).

I could be wrong...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
It's never been any secret that Dasani is basically tap water.
Well, compared to my town, Dasani and everything else are much more pure than our local tap water. Pregnant women, small children, and the elderly aren't supposed to drink it.

I tend to buy water by the gallon at the grocery store. You can refill with purified water for $0.39US.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 09:50 AM

And I'm living in a country that I can still drink water from lakes, springs and rivers without any danger of contamination

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
And I'm living in a country that I can still drink water from lakes, springs and rivers without any danger of contamination
Or so the government wants you to believe...

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Or so the government wants you to believe...

I'll try to dig up the results from the latest checks but it is true.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
I always wondered why people buy bottled tap water anyway.
The taste. In some places, tap water tastes awful. I filter my own tap water to remove the "chemical" taste.

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 19, 2004, 12:16 PM

They put salt in Dasani to give it flavor. Or is it to make you thirsty?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2004, 12:36 PM

I enjoy some of the fruit flavored bottled water occasionally.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 01:56 PM

I'm with Millennium in that I don't really get the outrage/surprise that this stuff comes from tap water. They never claimed it was spring water. And as to the markup: the markup on regular Coca-Cola probably isn't much lower. They make a ton of profit on all that stuff.

I like Aquafina better than Dasani, I guess because of the minerals they add to Dasani. I buy Aquafina sometimes at work because it tastes better than what comes out of the drinking fountain. At home it's not worth the cost, so I drink tap water that I filter myself with one of those Brita pitchers.

Originally posted by kikkoman:
They put salt in Dasani to give it flavor. Or is it to make you thirsty?
The amount of minerals they put in is so minuscule that they're allowed to list the amount of sodium on the label as 0g.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
there are quite a few natural springs near my house that are safe for drinking. They're tested on a regular basis by TWRA.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
there are quite a few natural springs near my house that are safe for drinking. They're tested on a regular basis by TWRA.
When we go up to northern Minnesota we fill up a bunch of bottles with natural spring water that the DNR offers (for free) at a nearby fish hatchery. Now that's good stuff.

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 02:31 PM

my school has some coke promotional deal so that it sell dasani water exclusively from machines.
Yet dasani bottles are the only ones they dont let us bring into exams because they're not completely clear - apparently they have a blueish tint.
that made me angry when i had a cold and the took my bottle.
that's my story.
( Last edited by brapper; Mar 19, 2004 at 07:06 PM. )

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2004, 03:06 PM

I was going to boycott. If they start to sell it here again I will boycott, and bring them to their knee's.
tin pot, garden shed

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by brapper:

Yet dasani bottles are the only ones they dont let us bring into exams because they're not completely clear - apparently they have a blueish tint.
Is that so they know you're drinking water and not rye? Sounds kinda silly to me.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2004, 08:26 PM

wizard's first rule ; people are stupid.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

derbs
Senior User
Mar 20, 2004, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by OB1:
and bring them to their knee's.
their knee's what?

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 05:16 AM

I liked esker water.. in comparison to others its DIRT CHEAP (about 99 cents for a big bottle), compared to aquafina/dasani, and "tastes" much nicer

I dunno I just read the labels. There's a difference between drinking water and mountain spring water

For example. Alhambara water IS just drinking water. I'm not sure if this is true for the big bottles too (we used to have it but I don't remember), but the small ones you buy at the store are all just filtered tap water..

Personally I don't think people care. It's just the convinience of walking up to the machine and paying for a cold bottle of water vs walking up to a filthy water machine and trying it..

Which, well I can't blame em.. maybe not in Europe but in the US water fountains are known to be filthy. Here people let their dogs drink from them.
Aloha

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:

One thing that surprised me was that the best water you can get is from springs. No bottled water can ever match that taste.

ambush
Banned
Mar 20, 2004, 08:20 AM

Isn't Broming an acid?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules