Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anybody been on a European Tour?

Anybody been on a European Tour?
jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Mar 22, 2004, 07:52 PM

I'm thinking of going to Europe this summer on a European Tour Package. Goes from Guam to Manila to Paris and basically hits major stops in Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy (Rome, Pisa and Venice). Mostly traveling by chartered bus. It'll cost around $3K with hotels and meals for 2.5 weeks. No Spain.

Anybody have any experience going on this type of tour? I'd be spending a day and a half at most of the stops. Which would be my only concern. I guess I could save up and later go to where I most want to visit. London, Paris, Florence, and anywhere in Spain.

Pro's - Get to see a lot of the main touristy spots. Get to go to EUROPE!!!!
Con's - At the mercy of the tour guide/group. Will be traveling with a LARGE tour group (60 people). May not have a lot of time to really look around. I only have 3 weeks of vacation leave.

How's the weather there in June? I've never been to Europe, but always wanted to go. Just the thought of it makes me giddy.

Help an island boy out with your thoughts and advice.

Thanks!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2004, 08:14 PM

Europeans hate Americans, so it's better you stay only shortly at each point and don't get in contact with the local population. That way you see more of Europe and it's safer for you.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2004, 08:24 PM

Really? Well, how do they feel about Filipinos that look Hispanic?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by jonasmac:
Really? Well, how do they feel about Filipinos that look Hispanic?

They are neanderthals; they only eat meat. They regularly snack on Filipinos that look Hispanic.

Are you relatively young? Have you considered the backpack tour?
I, ASIMO.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 08:51 PM

First of all, I went to Europe and never came back... ended up in Paris.

I personally wouldn't go on a tour - for $3000 you could travel around the world for much more than 2.5 weeks. I'm serious.

Plus in a tour, you're in a GROUP environement, which inhibits you from really coming into contact with the place you're visiting. Yes there's saftey in groups, but having worked in the tourism industry groups CAN get ripped off like crazy.

The hotels for these group packages are often chosen overpriced piece of sh*ts, and travelling by coach is inefficient when you as a foreigner can on your own get a eurrail pass.

Look, I'm not saying that your group tour isn't one of the good ones, and that you won't have a great time, but I do think for that amount of money and that little time, you should seriously look at your options.

Plus lots of us here live in Europe or elsewhere, so feel free to pick our brains.

June is the perfect time to come, however -weather's great and the Europeans haven't gone on vacation yet.

edit: 60 people holy christ that's a big group!!!

Adopt-A-Yankee

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2004, 10:06 PM

I'm 25...so still young. I've been around Asia, but Europe has always interested me. I don't have too many travel options to Europe from Guam. Most tickets outta here to anywhere are hella expensive.

Thought about a backpacking tour, but I do only have a couple of weeks before I have to get back to my job. I'd really like to visit Paris and spend some time there. So maybe my best bet is to look at costs for traveling to France and maybe Italy.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 10:19 PM

I'm 25...so still young. I've been around Asia, but Europe has always interested me. I don't have too many travel options to Europe from Guam. Most tickets outta here to anywhere are hella expensive.

Thought about a backpacking tour, but I do only have a couple of weeks before I have to get back to my job. I'd really like to visit Paris and spend some time there. So maybe my best bet is to look at costs for traveling to France and maybe Italy.
In Paris (where i live) hotels are abundant and some quite reasonable, depending on your budget. Of course I'd recommend Italy as well, but don't forget Spain and Portugal which are both wonderful and inexpensive as far as prices go.

And look into a eurail pass http://www.eurail.com/

Adopt-A-Yankee

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 11:12 PM

go backpacking.
cheaper. more authentic.
do your own thing.
im doing that this summer.

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by brapper
go backpacking.
cheaper. more authentic.
do your own thing.
im doing that this summer.
Wish I had the whole summer. I guess I could do 2.5 weeks of "backpacking..."

Paully, thanks for the advice. France, Spain, Italy. Those are the countries where I'd probably want to spend most of my time. Kinda like Hemmingway.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 12:56 AM

Wish I had the whole summer. I guess I could do 2.5 weeks of "backpacking..."

Paully, thanks for the advice. France, Spain, Italy. Those are the countries where I'd probably want to spend most of my time. Kinda like Hemmingway.
You *can* do a thorough backpacking in 2.5 weeks. Trust me. But to do Spain, France, and Italy in those 2.5 weeks, you will most likely have to stick to the Mediterranean regions, which, quite frankly, is truly wonderful.

I started in Barcelona and ended up in Florence. Wherever you go, take good pics, man.
I, ASIMO.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2004, 03:10 AM

Great! We loooooove bus tourists

Go back-packing / interrailing / travel by your own. If you want a quick shrink-wrapped TV-meal version of Europe you can watch Travel Channel at home instead.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

leffo
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 03:57 AM

( Last edited by leffo; Nov 10, 2005 at 03:10 PM. )

Jens Peter
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by leffo:
Scandinavians hardly count as europeans, eh?
Of course we also count as europeans. I see myself as both Scandinavian, and European.. That's not the topic...

As a lot of the others pointet out, 2.5 weeks for seeing europe is crazy. Select one or two countries, and travel in those. Don't stress to see all the sightings, relax and meet new people, party and have fun.
And about that bus-trip thing, you will spend a lot of your 2.5 weeks sitting in a bus, where instead you could be meeting girls and having fun

Have a nice trip! Remember to take pictures.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2004, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Europeans hate Americans,
Only when they bomb or threaten third parties, or when they show up in hordes (60 people! How are you going to see *anything* in a group of 60 people? Safety in numbers, sure, but central Europe isn't anything if not safe for travellers...)

-s*

derbs
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 07:12 AM

Europeans hate Americans, so it's better you stay only shortly at each point and don't get in contact with the local population. That way you see more of Europe and it's safer for you.
They do....? Like, every single European person hates Americans...?

Anyway the temperature in southern mainland Europe will be in the mid 20's, maybe hotter in the south of France.

I agree with paullydub as well, get a rail pass! The trains in Europe (not the UK ) are very fast and efficient.

Oh and try and see Zurich and the lakes on the swiss/italian border - very nice

Nicko
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 07:54 AM

Europe from the inside of a bus --- not fun.

Besides, its easy to hook up with people anyway.

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2004, 07:55 AM

June is a good time to travel in Europe. Not many people are on holiday, so the main tourist spots are less crowded. The weather is ok. I remember very hot June months in the past years

And don't believe the ones who say we hate Americans. That is not true. I think there is an anti-Bush feeling That's not the same thing !
S k y p a t

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 05:27 PM

Thanks all for your advice and perspectives. Ultimately, I may just forego the group trip in favor of visiting two or three countries. Hopefully I can plan an itinerary that can stay within my measely budget! That sounds like lots more fun...

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2004, 04:18 AM

http://www.ricksteves.com

He's been a Euro travel guide/author for 20+ years and now also does a couple PBS series each year.

I happen to like the guy and his take on getting the most out of a Euro vacation. But, I'd REALLY like to know how you guys over there feel about his ideas.

His main thing is how to see the continent from the locals perspective but his company also does full service tours now as well.
( Last edited by Jim_MDP; Mar 26, 2004 at 04:24 AM. )

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2004, 08:36 AM

I just got back from a work visit to Italy/Germany and Paris where I also did a bit of tourism.

People in every country could not have been more friendly.

I was honestly expecting a bit of anti-American treatment.. but even in Paris people really really really went to extra efforts to be extra friendly.

I have a friend in Paris and we were talking about this and he said people especially in the tourist industry are really hurting from lower American tourist levels. It was our thoughts that the people there didn't like their own governments in France and Germany being so anti-American.

That said.. the Euro is very very strong against the dollar..so bring lots of money..it is rediculously EXPENSIVE beyond belief.

But the people could not be nicer.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2004, 12:30 PM

btt

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2004, 04:39 PM

Spain�s first industry is tourism, then automotive.

Avoid 'la fiesta nacional', I found kill bulls pathetic and without justification, maybe people here have gladiator�s desires. There are a plenty of cultural choices before that. This 2004 year is the 'Xacobeo year', catholic people peregrinate to Santiago de Compostela (NW os Spain), if you come on summer, you will find the soccer Eurocup madness.

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Mar 28, 2004, 05:26 PM

pff. This way you can tell anyone "[Insert random nation #1] hate [insert random nation #2]". I strongly disagree. After all it's all about the person and how he/she acts.

- Thilo

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Mar 28, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
It was our thoughts that the people there didn't like their own governments in France and Germany being so anti-American.
pff. The governments are as anti-american as the people. They are opposed to this useless war on iraq and not to the american population.

watch how you put your words. i mean sure we might be all nice, but for me i have an elephant brain.

- Thilo

jonasmac  (op)
Senior User
Mar 28, 2004, 06:33 PM

Well, I'm cool with nice, pretty girls from ALL ethnicities! I don't discriminate, yo!

Looks like I may not be able to make it to Europe this year....hopefully next year. Thanks to you all for your advice and insight.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 07:34 AM

Well, I'm cool with nice, pretty girls from ALL ethnicities! I don't discriminate, yo!

Looks like I may not be able to make it to Europe this year....hopefully next year. Thanks to you all for your advice and insight.
Check that Rick Steves site and post your thoughts if you get a chance.

I'd still like to hear the locals thoughts on it as well.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
It was our thoughts that the people there didn't like their own governments in France and Germany being so anti-American.
Actually, nobody I've seen or met is anti-American. Neither are the governments.

We are pretty much all, however, anti-war, anti-senseless violence, and anti-knowingly using lies to justify the above.

So if you believe that you are your government, we are in fact anti-YOU.

If you are clear-minded enough to realize that finding government policy deplorable and suicidal does not extend to the general population (any more than the population of Britain and Spain was in support of the war in Iraq, despite the governments' insistence upon it), you are more than welcome here.

And I think Developer was either joking or full of ****. That happens here, too, occasionally.

-s*

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Actually, nobody I've seen or met is anti-American. Neither are the governments.

We are pretty much all, however, anti-war, anti-senseless violence, and anti-knowingly using lies to justify the above.

So if you believe that you are your government, we are in fact anti-YOU.

If you are clear-minded enough to realize that finding government policy deplorable and suicidal does not extend to the general population (any more than the population of Britain and Spain was in support of the war in Iraq, despite the governments' insistence upon it), you are more than welcome here.

And I think Developer was either joking or full of ****. That happens here, too, occasionally.

-s*

andi*pandi
Mar 29, 2004, 09:25 AM

too bad you can't go. hopefully next year!

when I was in HS we went on a group trip to europe, the 10 days 4 countries thing. I mostly remember lots of buses. The best parts were when they'd let us wander on our own--mainly switzerland. It may have been lame, but at the time seemed pretty cool since we'd never been anywhere interesting before.

Forum Links
Forum Rules