Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Can't download while uploading

Can't download while uploading
jimlad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 09:50 AM

Hi

Using 10.3.3, I have a ADSL router and I have registered my IP with dyndns.org. I have installed dnsupdate client in order to keep dyndns.org updated with my IP.

I have turned on personal web sharing and I have NAT'ed my LAN address on my router to port 80.

Websharing works and clients can now download from my machine using my dyndns address, however, I am unable to use the web or check mail when someone is downloading from me. I thought uploading shouldn't affect downloading - so I can only imagine I have my ports misconfigured...

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

derbs
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 11:55 AM

I know if someone is saturating my connection upstream, surfing slows right down. Your computer has to send some data upstream, and if it can't it will timeout.

What sort of error message do you get when you try to download?

Maybe there's some bandwidth throttling software out there you could try?

jimlad  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the reply

It behaves as if there was no connection - with a "there maybe a problem with the network.." mail accounts are unable to retrieve and go offline, as soon as a user stops trying to dl - it goes back to normal.

Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules