Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Sending dynamic swf files.

Sending dynamic swf files.
Yose
Senior User
May 6, 2004, 02:02 PM

Hello,

This is what I am attempting to do.. might sound a little strange but hwo knows.

I'm developing a flash/php module for sending eCards. the information is fed into the swf files through some php scripting to show an animation of the "message being sent". On the recieving end I would like to have the flash file contained within the email and formatted in HTML with the swf embedded, however, the swf will need to be fed variables to fill in the data being displayed in the email. Can this be done through javascript sent along in the HTML formatted emaill?

The other option is to set a link to a server where the swf file will be loaded and the data pulled out of a database.

We'd like to stay away from using a database/php so the email can be self contained.

Any suggestions?

...besides taking an english / typing class.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 6, 2004, 02:19 PM

one word: nightmare

think of all the different platforms, email applications, etc. add that to the fact that some people think HTML-formatted email is the work of the devil him/herself. i wouldn't do it, even if a client demanded it from me.

i would, however, email them a link where they could pick the card up. you keep people happy and it's far easier for you, from a developers point of view.

derbs should be able to chime in from experience on this one, if i remember correctly?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

derbs
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 10:55 AM

You rang mi-lord?

Phil's right. Send em a link to a webpage,

frownyfrank
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 10:04 PM

I'd agree with sending them a link back to your site. I did that very thing on this site: www.billnye.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules