Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Good basestation for new Powerbooks?

Good basestation for new Powerbooks?
WizOSX
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 01:10 PM

Is there any reason to choose one Wireless router over another for the new Powerbooks with the built-in Airport extreme? The best price here right now is for the Netgear WGR614CN ($50 -$US). Anyone have good or bad luck with this one (or any others on newer PBs with 802.11g)? Is there any real value to getting the Apple Airport Extreme basestation?

diskgolfking
May 9, 2004, 01:15 PM

The Airport was nice and easy to setup. I like being able to use an application to configure it instead of a web page.

The main difference I see is that the AE has a USB printer plug. I don't see that on the Netgear.

It was a snap to setup my printer through rendezvous.

Cliff_O
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 05:45 PM

I have been using a WGR614 on my network since August (although I replaced it with a FWG114P recently as I felt I needed a more powerful signal and a higher gain antenna). It works very well. I am running a couple of Wintel machines (desktop + employer's notebook via wireless), a Palm, and the Powerbook on my network with good results. The Apple base station is massively overpriced.
MBP 15" - 2.33Ghz C2D-3GB RAM-120GB HD
PB 15"-1.25GHz G4-1.5GB RAM-80GB HD-Superdrive

Justin216
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 06:25 PM

I just use a Linksys-G router and it works fine and is quite easy to set up, and not too badly priced.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 12:57 AM

MacWorld mag reveiwed 802.11g base stations, you'll have to consult the June 2003 issue for the "802.11g base stations" comparison. The Apple AE review in the same issue is available online, but I couldn't find the comparison online. The AE tested has since had new firmware and airport software which might have bettered the airport extreme range issue, but the AE got 3 stars and the Belkin got 4 stars. Here's a quote:

"The Buffalo, the speediest base station at 30 feet, lost just over half its top speed in earlier tests. By contrast, the Apple's performance was cut fourfold..."

The AE range is hampered by the internal antennas, which is why they've come out with external antenna add-ons. Basically, 3rd party WAP external antennas should give you better range than an AE without the $ external antenna.

Other reports seem to indicate the throughput of g-WAPs falls off faster than b-WAPs as you get further away from the WAP.

Are you running a server or transferring large files to another local Mac? Cause if you're just talking about broadband speed and wireless range, you'd be better off with an 802.11b WAP (although they don't support the latest security enhancements, but most people say even the latest and greatest are still too easy to breach so why pay extra for little gain?)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 07:03 AM

I just picked up the Linksys G router and it works flawlessly, much cheaper the Airport Extreme Base station and it comes with antennas out of the box. btw Linksys is owned by Cisco, so with a name like that behind the product you can be reasonably sure of its quality.

Mike

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 08:41 AM

I've been really happy with the Netgear MR814v2. It's a "b" unit. Works great as a wireless/wired router or a WAP. Price is usually $20-$30 after rebate from places like Amazon or Buy.com.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by diskgolfking
The main difference I see is that the AE has a USB printer plug. I don't see that on the Netgear.
SMC has a 4port, 802.11g with a USB port. Anyone tried that one?

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 09:51 PM

The model number on the SMC is SMC2804WBRP-G and it is selling for about $90 ($US) here. Anyone tried it?

RenaissanceGirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 12:53 AM

I have always had good experiences with Linksys routers. I, too, feel like AE is overpriced and would rather buy another wireless router - which go on sale quite often.

Forum Links
Forum Rules